4/17 Max AMPS 242, +10 72, PMPS 122, +2 188

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by MindyC, Apr 17, 2019.

1. MindyC

MindyC Member

So Max has been on Lantus for about a week. He’s 8.5lbs, and the vet prescribed a 1U dose. I think we are already stuck in a drop low and I don’t catch it then bounce cycle. I have been gone all day, so have no numbers between amps (242) and +10 (72). I have about 1.5hrs until his shot is due.

I cannot postpone this shot. We postponed a shot over the weekend, then due to the schedule change from that his shot got screwed up again the next day. We’re resetting shot time by moving back either 30min per day or 15min per shot, it all depends on what we’re trying to schedule around. I MUST get him back on schedule, because we’re going to end up missing a shot due to me being at work or at soccer practice.

My gut is telling me 1U is too high for him. He’s only been on this insulin since last Thursday evening. I don’t have enough data to try tight regulation yet. Other than what appear to be bounces, he’s trending lower in numbers with every cycle.

So what do I do with this shot? Give .5U and reduce future shots to .75U and see how he does? Skip this shot altogether? I don’t think he’s going to rise enough in the next 1.5hrs to give a full 1U and not have him go hypo.

2. MindyC

MindyC Member

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

You would be amazed how fast cats can rise at the end of a cycle. Max is showing nice response to the Lantus. :D

Gonna repeat myself from before, what you do next with the dose depends on the dosing method you choose. SLGS would have you reduce at below 90, TR waits for below 50.

4. MindyC

MindyC Member

I’m definitely not ready for TR.

So with SLGR, reduce if they’re below 90 at any time, not just preshot?

5. Wendy&Neko

Any time you see a below 90, you reduce. So your new dose would be 0.75 units. Do you mind putting SLGS in your signature, so we know going forward how to help you.

6. MindyC

MindyC Member

Thank you! I have added slgs to my sig, and changed the dose there as well.

7. MindyC

MindyC Member

Pmps was 122. Do i give .75 or reduce more to .5 for this one shot?

8. Wendy&Neko

Depends on you comfort zone and ability to monitor. If you haven’t fed or shot yet, test again to see ifnhe’s Up even higher to a number you feel Ok shooting. Since you are new, a reduced dose is OK. Just note that the 1.0 unit depot may influence this cycle

9. MindyC

MindyC Member

Thanks. I think i split the difference and went between the two doses. So hard to tell without definite lines. I’ll keep an eye on him tonight and make some coffee if I have to...

10. Wendy&Neko

Start with a +2 test, that can give you a hint what the cycle will look like. And make sure you have chocolate for you.

11. MindyC

MindyC Member

+2 was 188.

12. Wendy&Neko

Looks like he is bouncing in reaction to those greens. And you get some good sleep tonight.:)

13. MindyC

MindyC Member

Yes, that’s what I was thinking too. +4 was 179, and there is still food in the dish, so he should be fine.

14. Wendy&Neko

Sleep well.