4/19 Silver AMPS 223 PMPS 167

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Juliet, Apr 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juliet

Juliet Guest

2. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

How is silver doing?

3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope you see more blue today.

Juliet and Bellasmom like this.
  4. Juliet

Juliet Guest

He seems to be fine but his ketones levels are way too high.

5. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Sending lots of vines, for the awful ketones to go away, will keep an eye on you guys:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Juliet likes this.
  6. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Hang in there, Juliet. Feeling fine is the best news right now. I can’t wait for Silver to have his dental, I sure hope it resolves his ketone tendencies and brings his numbers into a more acceptable range. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

PussCatPrince - GA and Juliet like this.
  7. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I wish those keytones would just go away.

High hopes for that dental.

Juliet and Stacy & Asia like this.
  8. Juliet

Juliet Guest

The thought of the dental scares me silly. Leaving him there for the day and worrying he's ok with the anesthetic. He's lost so much muscle mass. He's not thin - he was too fat. But vet said he's lost muscle mass. I can feel his backbone. Dreading the dental and will be glad once it's done. Wednesday can't come (and go) soon enough.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  9. Stacy & Asia

I completely empathize with you. My vet was on her way over to give Asia the pink shot when she was 13 years old. She was so very sick for weeks and we couldn’t figure out what in the world was going on. She found a bit of blood dripping from her mouth and said “it’s the teeth”! What a save that was, but it still didn’t make it any easier to send my senior kitty away to have major dental work and extractions. What I can tell you is that she was a new cat after that dental, she had a renewed kittenhood. Many have similar stories with dentals. Silver has moxie, that’s for sure, he’s going to do great and it will all be behind you soon. We are all looking forward to seeing what Silver does after his dental. Try not to think about it, distract yourself, these are for you: :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Juliet and Kris & Teasel like this.
  10. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I completely understand. Teasel's sister has a dental next week on the 26th and I'm very stressed about it - and she isn't diabetic! :bighug::bighug:

Stacy & Asia and Juliet like this.
  11. Juliet

Juliet Guest

What is pink shot and moxie?

@Kris & Teasel Silver's is the 25th:nailbiting:

12. Stacy & Asia

The pink shot is what they use to put them to sleep. :(

Moxie means grit, determined and strong, which Silver is! :cat:

Juliet likes this.
  13. Kris & Teasel

I know! I'll send those vines they talk about your way.

Juliet likes this.
  14. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Never understood that whole "vines" thing to be honest.

15. Kris & Teasel

It's supposed to be "vibes" but got misspelled or something a long time ago and it stuck.

16. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Oh gotcha. Prefer prayer myself. More effective.

17. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Vibes, vines, prayers, healing white light....all good thoughts....

Dental's are scary, regardless of who is going in for them. There is risk with every surgery, it becomes what do you have to gain and does it out weigh the risks? You are making the right decision Juliet. And I will be sending my good vines your way...:)

Kris & Teasel and Juliet like this.
  18. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

That is exactly what happened :p

Hmmm...
    Is the vet who will be doing the dental aware of the recent ketone readings and the loss of muscle mass? If not it may be prudent to fill him in, regardless of whether he wants to hear it or not.

Also, I wonder if, depending on the degree of gingivitis, there’s a risk that as a result of the dental bacteria could be released into his system, tipping the scales in favor of DKA? Perhaps preemptive antibiotics would be a good idea?

Let’s see what others think,,.

Dyana likes this.
  19. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Vet said no to antibiotics. I trust the vet on this. He has diabetic cats. I'm already nervous enough without you scaring me. He's a professional. Silver has a bad reaction to antibiotics anyway. I am not keen on their use in animals or humans for that matter.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  20. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

21. Tracey&Jones (GA)

I don't think Sandy is trying to scare you, just trying to make sure Silver is safe as possible with her knowledge of keytones.

If you trust the vet, then just tuck that information away, you don't need to act on it.

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

22. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

It was not my intention to scare you Juliet. Its just something that has been on my mind that I felt was worthy of mention and in the interest of the best possible outcome for Silver.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  23. Juliet

Juliet Guest

I believe Silver has had ketones all along. His readings are high but he is fine. Either that or my vet is right and we should be more concerned with lowering BG than ketone number. Too many testing machines for me and Silver. None of the vets believe he had DKA.

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  24. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Never heard of that one before have we Juliet. :p

Juliet likes this.
  25. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Okay he has a nice blue tonight - but as his numbers come down his ketones are going UP. This makes NO sense to me. BG - 167 - lowest in the past three weeks. Ketones - 6.1 on the Novamax. This is crazy. Everywhere I have read in this forum says anything above trace is bad. 6.1 is crazy high - yet Silver is acting normally, eating fine, not in the least bit lethargic - he is totally playful. So I do not understand this whole ketones is bad thing. Seems not to be doing him any harm at the moment. Wondering if I should keep testing as the high numbers are not rushing me to the vet - what rushes me to the vet are signs he is unwell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.