4/20, Boomer Trial Day 13, AM=93, PM = 86

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Traci and Boomer, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12417

:coffee:

I'm sad to report that Boomer threw up again this morning - a small puke, but a puke none the less. As he is ready to go OTJ tomorrow, I am very happy, yet this daily puking is getting me worried. If it's not one thing, it's another.

I bought a case of Duck and Rice yesterday to start his food trial. I didn't think it would end so quickly. Maybe it's the rice? Who knows. The thing is that he loves that food. I gave him Sophisticat sliced turkey this morning, freeze dried chicken as a treat, and one pill poket to ensure he got the pepsid.

Questions- Hillary, I hope you're reading this!!! I need your help. Is the duck and rice considered a no-go because he puked? Do I now try the sliced turkey and see how he does? I'm pretty frazzled. I'm hoping to do this on my own and avoid the vet. I don't think she'll have any better ideas but if it comes down to that I will bring him.

2. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Re: 4/20, Boomer Trial Day 13, AM=93

Poor Boomer cat_pet_icon , I hope he feels better for his party tomorrow.

3. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

awww boomer .. you got a belly ache going on or what? I hope you guys get it figured out in time so he can dance the night away ... beautiful number by the way!

4. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

(((Traci & Boomer))) Good morning.... Happy Day 13!!! Sooooooo proud of you!! I am sorry you are scared & nailbite_smile about pukus - I would be too! Such a happy time being OTJ, but scary & mind consuming on pukus issue :?

What Duck/Rice food are you speaking of? Geez.. I wish I knew what to say here, but I am thrilled with Day 13!! Boom, Boom... please feel better!!

5. Marvie and Tugger

Marvie and Tugger Well-Known Member

Does he eat overnight? Just thinking maybe he's eating too much at a time or not often enough or too often (or with his head pointed the wrong direction, you just never flippin' know!) But check him out, he's rockin' the chewing gum! I sure hope you're able to figure it out soon. It's stressful enough on trial without adding pukus stress on top of it. Sending lots of tummy settling vines to Boomer.

6. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

Yay for Boomer's last day of trial, boooooo for puking!!! Hope you can figure it all out!!! Soooo happy for you guys though!!!!

7. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Day 13 already.
    I know the stress of his pukus is taking away from tomorrow's excitement.
    I hope you can find an answer Traci.
    PM Hillary if you need to. I saw her notes and they were great.
    Party tomorrow.
    Max is so excited to see another one of his friends join him.

8. sehjak (Susan & Lanky)

sehjak (Susan & Lanky) Well-Known Member

With the spring coat shed, do you suppose Boomer is just telling you "there must be a hair-ball in here somewhere"??

9. Traci and Boomer

Hi Ladies-

It really IS taking away from my OTJ excitement. Pet sickness is hard. I've literally devoted my life to him for the past 5 months. I was hoping he'd be better now except for the occassional puke. I really hope this is a passing flair up like in the past. The Yahoo group for IBD isn't the same as this - not even close. :sad: I wish it were as simple as a hairball. I don't think he's ever even HAD a hairball. Funny, huh?

Well, I know D has worked really hard on his video and there are gonna be some humans in it too. Can't wait to see it!

10. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Traci:

Before answering, I have questions.

- How many time was he given the duck and rice?
    - What was he given before you fed the duck and rice?

I ask, because I used to mix up the cans (to give variety) and feed one flavor AM another PM and another the next AM. You see the pattern.

When it was suggested to me to limit the foods and try one food/flavor for a week, the flavor of the day was turkey/giblets, as that what was fed most recently.

We went through 24 cans of this before changing to another flavor to see if there was any reaction. Sometimes, it's just changing flavors frequently that upsets their tummies. We do it, because we think they need the variety, when the fact is, they could eat the same flavor for life and it not be a problem.

How many cans of duck do you have? That will help us decide if we start the trial with that flavor.

Maybe if you start with the food that you have the most of and only feed that for a week and see how he tolerates it. Then if no pukus, you could continue with that food until your out, and try the next one.

What brand of food are you using? and is he puking the same brand/different flavors? If yes, it makes me wonder if there may be an ingredient in that brand that doesn't agree with him.

I understand about avoiding the vet, when talking food, I don't know if the vet can help or not. So, you've got nothing to lose by giving limited choices and see if there is a culprit.

As part of this experiment, you may want to introduce raw food. When I started with raw, I got the feline's pride (very $$ and very rich), it was too rich for Maui. I kept it in the freezer for months and after it seemed that Maui was under control, I did reintroduce the feline's pride - just so it didn't go to waste. I noticed that it did affect Maui in a negative way.

I recently started making my own raw. (I have a friend teaching me) and have found that homemade raw seems to be working well for Maui. The only things in my raw are chicken or turkey with fresh green beans - I don't recall why the friend includes the beans - (I asked, but didn't retain the answer - I'll ask next time I go for another lesson.)

Also, you may want to add a probiotic into the food, that's another thing I do add in the AM only and haven't had an adverse reactions. The probiotic I use came from here: http://www.vitacost.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Pet-Dophilus

Of course you may find it locally. I put about 1/8 tsp (maybe a bit more) in the food daily.

My last piece of advice is to have patience with this. While Maui's issue was diarrhea, it did take several weeks for it to slow and stop. She does have an occasional bout, but it's doable and not like a year ago, when she was going several times a day and in discomfort. I realize poo isn't the same as pukus, she did that too and honestly, since eating raw for the past 3 months, nobody's puked in my house. (Aside from hairballs and those don't count).

11. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

Iz ya ready? :mrgreen:

12. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Hi Traci! Happy Day 13!! I'm sorry Boomer's puking is overshadowing the excitement of tomorrow. I know how worrisome it can be. I guess at least he isn't puking AND having high numbers?

Mine have never had a hairball either until a couple of months ago (at least that's what I think it was). Buzz went through a phase a few weeks ago where she was constantly coughing like she was going to bring up a hairball but nothing ever happened. Now she doesn't do that anymore. Maybe this is a phase of Boomer's too. Fingers crossed that you discover some answers soon, and don't forget to get ready for that party! :)

13. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

bcatrun_gif Run to day 14, Boomer, Run!!! It's coming buddy, it's coming!! So excited for you Traci and Boomer and we certainly can't wait until tomorrow to party!

14. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hey Boomer! Let's get ready to party!! No more pukes, OK? If you have to puke, eat some weeds, man. Then at least you can feel you've earned that puke! I'm going to cook up some great grub for your party. I'm in NY City tonight and I'm going to listen to the cooking shows to get some new ideas. See you tomorrow!

Stu

15. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

Happy Day 14 Boomer and we are ordering up a menu of no puking for Mama bean Ok :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

16. paige

paige Well-Known Member

OMG OMG OMG~~~~~~~~ tomorrow is that day? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

17. Traci and Boomer

WOW - you guys are freakin' awesome! Thank you for caring. I'm telling ya, I'm freaking out over this vomiting. BUT - He didn't puke tonight. Not sure if I should give him more Pepsid or not. I gave him sliced turkey this morning and tonight - Sophisticat. I have a CASE of Duck and Rice though. I'll respond to Hilary's post next.

THANKS LADIES.

18. Traci and Boomer

Yes D, I am. I can't wait to see our video! :lol:
    So technically tomorrow is day 14 - we don't need to complete 14 full days - just make it to 14?
    So I don't need to post numbers tommorrow?

19. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Sure, post the numbers in your party condo. You are going to be testing him anyway, right? Numbers, numbers, numbers... WE LOVE 'EM. :lol:

20. Traci and Boomer

Hillary-

Thanks SO much for writing back. I can't figure out how to quote you and not have all the test so:

- How many time was he given the duck and rice?
    I gave him it twice yesterday -lunch and dinner, not breakfast.

- What was he given before you fed the duck and rice?
    I can't remember.

I went out and bought a case of the Spohisticat Duck and Rice because I know he'll eat it, but then there was puke this morning. I'm also giving him freeze dried chicken.

I didn't know what to do this morning so I gave him Sophisticat sliced turkey for breakfast and dinner, but he's ravenous, so I had to give him more food , so I gave him Sophisticat chicken hearts and liver. (eew) I don't have enough of each to do a trial, but I have a boat load of Duck and Rice. Should I return that and try something else, or give the duck a try again since that wasn't the ONLY thing he ate yesterday?

I feed these brands of foods - Friskies pouches, Sophisitcat, FF.

I tried raw a couple years ago - my BF made raw for his dogs and there were cat recipes too with meat and a mixture of "stuff" to make it nutritionally complete. Boomer wouldn't eat it. I'm willing to try raw but I think I'd like to see if I can get him to eat regular food first.
    Thanks for being there for me!!!!! I appreciate your guidance.

21. Traci and Boomer

Okay, I will test AM and PM like usual. Then what do I do from here? Since he's a "tough case" :lol: should I test more than the usual OTJ cat gets tested?

22. bettyandhank

bettyandhank Well-Known Member

YaY on DAY 13 for BOOMER!!
    great numbers on this last trial day!

Well, it's OTJ Party eve and we can hardly contain our excitement for you & Boomer.
    Hank is so happy to have another compadre get a pad nearby & join us at the new complex.
    Pool parties and cookouts for all...if we can figure out what Boomer can eat without puking.

Save the rejects. We can always have a potluck..SOME kitty will love them..if not today, then tomorrow..OR not, then vice versa.
    That's the beans job..to play the game and try to figure it all out to keep these furbabies purring & happy.

Get him rested up and feeling better for his BIg day tomorrow.

Can't wait to see the green speedo! :mrgreen:

Betty & hank

23. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait for the party!!!!

If you're looking for food for IBD, maybe you've already tried this, but Cassandra once told me that a lot of members on the IBD support group have had success with EVO 95% venison. It's a single source, novel protein with not much that would be an allergan. She also told me that it can take a number of weeks to know if the change helped. Raw rabbit is supposed to be good too. Stay far, far away from anything with corn in it because that is a very common allergan for cats, and especially Siamese.

24. Traci and Boomer

Yes, Boomer will have his green speedo on tomorrow. He's ready to chill out in the sun and chat with the ladies. He's pretty svelte these days so he's gonna look real good in his bathing suit. I can't wait to see what D did with my photos! Hehe. I hope I don't get emotional at work.

Hillary - any thoughts on whether or not I should feed the duck or return it?

Thanks for the food ideas everyone. Including Stu with the weeds! :lol:

25. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol:

no such luck, trust me :lol:

Cant wait for the big day!! Congrats Traci!

26. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

I'm also waiting for the big day!!! :mrgreen:

I wanted to pass along a hint I got recently from Jill; you may already be using it. She suggested that whatever new food I introduce, I try to blend it in gradually with the previous food - mixing them together, and then gradually increasing the amount of the new food in the mix. That helps avoid the frequent-change syndrome Hillary was talking about.

So excited for you!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.