4/20 Silver AMPS 193 PMPS 158 Ketones 6 +5=214

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Juliet, Apr 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juliet

Juliet Guest

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

3. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

So nice when things start working.

Juliet likes this.
  4. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Work that juice Silver!

5. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

You don’t have to do this, but just a suggestion that you may find useful in the future for reference, can you put the ketone readings in the cell near where they occur so you can see trends when the ketones are measured in relation to when he eats, shot time, if they are more frequent in the day cycles vs night, etc.? I think it would be useful.

I also didn’t get a chance to respond to this yesterday

If he measures a lower bg and high ketones in the same hour, I don’t think the numbers relate as narrowly as you are thinking they do, you have to see the big picture more, his average bg is too high and he’s making ketones. You have to remember, though it is rare, some cats make ketones regardless of their bg number, low or high. The fact that he is making ketones also means he is losing weight because ketones are a direct result of the body eating its own fat or muscle to make up for an energy shortage. If it were me, I’d feed him more or higher carb/calorie food in conjunction with increasing the insulin until he can make energy from his food and keep some weight on, the ketones should follow suit and decline.

Above trace is bad and is a reason for concern. The fact that Silver seems to be asymptomatic with the level of ketones you are measuring is very much an exception, and just because he isn’t having symptoms today doesn’t necessarily mean that will be the case tomorrow or in future. I know it doesn’t seem that way, but I just wanted to make sure you understood the difference. I think it’s very important that you continue to measure ketones, now and always, as he has shown he has a lean that way.

I agree that you have to use common sense and rushing him the to vet shouldn’t be based on just a number, but the number in conjunction with symptoms. Not unlike how we handle numbers below 50.

Glad to see some movement in the numbers at last! :woot:

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  6. Juliet

Juliet Guest

The vet told me to hold off the high calorie food so I'd rather keep with his usual as per his instructions. He told me to ignore ketone readings and to get his BG down which is what I am doing.

7. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

As always, just food for thought and you can take what you want from it or not. :bighug:

8. Juliet

Juliet Guest

I'm doing all I can. He's well hydrated, he's eating well and his numbers are coming down. I can't start to get paranoid about this illness or I'll lose my focus and ability to work. I am increasing insulin far more often than SLGS allows as too little insulin is a cause of the ketones in the first place. He is getting his dental. There is nothing more I can do.

9. Juliet

Juliet Guest

I really wish these ketones would go away. At least he is no longer dehydrated and continues to eat well. Non symptomatic.

10. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Evil ketones be Gone!

11. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Yes please. The numbers are scary. He is sitting beside me purring as if to say what is all the fuss about. I'm hopeful the dental will help. Four more days away.

12. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers for you and Silver. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Juliet likes this.
  13. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending good dental vines and no ketone vines! :bighug:
    Glad he continues to eat and is feeling good ... that is half the battle!

Juliet likes this.
  14. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Grrr was hoping for an all blue day. Not quite there yet.:confused::cool::confused::cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.