4/21 Tigger PMPS/293 AM+7/286 Pls help w/ CG dose DM has CA

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tigger's Friend, Apr 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tigger's Friend

Tigger's Friend Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=115444 Tigger's last post

Hi Lantus Land! It has been a long time & I hope everyone's well & kitty's are improving & staying strong.

My 92 y/o mother has pancreatic cancer & is having a major surgery tomorrow to hopefully remove it + gallbladder + spleen. If she gets through it as planned, I'm to fly out 4/28 for 10 days to take care of her, returning 5/7. She'll be in the hospital at least 1 week, then possibly a transitional care center before being able to go home, so my 4/28 departure could change.

DH is staying here & will test Tigger - he's busy (in & out alot, variable schedule) & won't test as often as I do. I doubt he'll feed at +1, +2 & +3, either, but he'll try - I got a feeder just in case, but he's not tech inclined. We have 7 rescue cats & he'll have his hands full.

We hired a caregiver to give Tigger his shots twice daily (DH is deathly afraid of needles & just can't shoot).

I started reducing Tigger more aggressively once we got DM's diagnosis. He was doing so well, it was hard to put the brakes on him, but he can plummet 120-150 pts/hour when coming off a bounce, so he's unpredictible. I want a dose that will keep Tigger in the 100-250 range (as low as possible but steady & SAFE) without the low drops, in case he's not monitored as often as he should be.

:?: So far, this dose seems close - should I reduce him further once we get closer to my actual departure?

:?: If I should reduce him further, what dose would you recommend & when should I do it?

:?: Since Tigger's already going into the higher numbers now, 1 week before I leave (in case DM doesn't survive the surgery or this next week I wanted to have Tigger's dose close) - do you think he will be able to get back to the good run he was in prior to all these reductions after 10 days + this week at a higher dose?

:?: Also, if Mom's return home is delayed, should I increase Tigger for awhile before the Caregiver / DH take over?

I hope this all makes sense - making sure Tigger is safe yet not in totally harming numbers while I'm gone has been a critical issue for me & I'm very worried about how this will affect his progress.

Thanks again for all your help - as always, I don't know what I'd do w/o you all!

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: 4/21 Tigger PMPS/293 AM+7/286 Pls help w/ CG dose DM has

Suzanne --

I'm very sorry to hear about your mom. Hopefully, the surgery will go well and she will recuperate without complications.

Tigger's numbers look fine. If it were me, I'd probably take the "fat" off of the dose since it will be hard enough for someone to shoot a number that's not on a line. If you think the person giving injections will be OK with shooting 1.25u, that should be fine unless you see some change in Tigger's numbers between now and when you leave.

FWIW, if you look at Gabby's SS, I reduce her dose when I travel. I have a cat sitter who comes in at shot times and Gabby won't let anyone except me test. It may take a couple of days for her numbers to get back to normal, but they do once she's back on an appropriate dose. You might ask the person who's coming in to shoot to set up the feeder for Tigger if you husband isn't so good about that sort of thing.

3. Tigger's Friend

Thanks, Sienne, I appreciate your help & your kind thoughts. DM has been in excellent health- they found the mass by accident, so she has a head start, but it's a huge surgery for any age. She also told me if my DD (gone 45 years now & he was her one & only) comes & takes her hand, she's going to go with him. Pretty incredible attitude.

I showed the Caregiver how to use the digital calipers, so she can shoot any number - in case we need to adjust / decrease while I'm gone. She did fine with it & that makes me more comfortable. But - I will see how close the 1.25u is to the 2.05mm & maybe that will be just as easy for her.

When I return, how quickly should I increase to get to Tigger's best dose? I was doing .10mm increments - could I do more initially to get him back up more quickly?

I'll check Gabby's SS now & see how you adjust on your return. Thanks again for the mentoring!

4. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Hi Suzanne:

No advice, but I wanted to just give you a little moral support.

I almost cried, reading Tigger's story. He is so lucky to have found you (as is Spankey). I, too, have a one-eyed cat, and he might not have lost that eye if I'd taken him to the vet sooner, or pushed the vet to refer us to an Ophthalmologist. However, that didn't happen, and he is blind in the eye he has left. Since he had his eye removed, his BGs have improved quite a bit (in fact today I've had to test every 30 minutes because he decided it was fun in the deep end of the lagoon). I suspect the discomfort he was in, plus the infection that caused the glaucoma and blindness, were pushing his numbers up.

I will keep your DM in my prayers. You are doing a wonderful job at preparing for your departure, and I'll be keeping Tigger in my thoughts and prayers, too, while you're gone.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

((Suzanne)), healing vines and white light for your DM. She sounds like an amazing woman. :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

I think you'll have to see how Tigger is doing to decide how much/when to take him back up when you return. I remember one time Sienne was away and Gabby decided she liked the "temporary" lower dose. :eek: At least you'll have some test data to give you an idea how he's doing. I'd take him right up again when you return if he's not getting the nadirs you want. You could always go to a .25U increase and if it's too much he'll let you know quickly enough - you test plenty.

Safe travels.

6. Shelly & Jersey (GA)

Shelly & Jersey (GA) Well-Known Member

No dose advice from me - just lots of thoughts and prayers for all of you as you go through this stressful time period. :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: I'm praying for a successful surgery and quick recovery for your DM!

7. Tigger's Friend

Thanks so much Wendy, I'll remember that I can go up .25u right away - & DH will write down the test times & #s for me so we'll have some idea of trajectory/nadirs (whew!). That's tough Sienne's Gabby won't let anyone else test - so even the PS's are a shot in the dark :shock:

Thanks too for the white light for my Mom - we definitely have our struggles, but her attitude in this has given me the greatest teaching, I'm just blown away by our conversations around it.

Tricia & Shelly, thank you so much for you kind thoughts - the power of positive thought can work miracles!

I'll let you all know what happens when I know for sure!

Thanks again for all your help & support :YMHUG:

8. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Hi there :cool:

Wishing all the best for your DM and sending healing vines her way.

Also sending vines of courage and strength and endurance your way.

(looks like you got the insulin bit nicely covered ;-) )

9. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Big hugs to you, Suzanne, and many vines for everyone, especially DM.
    Liz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.