4/22 PM +6.5 = 66 (AT2 meter) - dose reduction?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by FurBabiesMama, Apr 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Mia's PMPS (2nd day/4th cycle on Lev) was 295, and at +6.5, she was 66. She ate after I tested (normal meal time), and at +7, she is up to 111.

I know that this means I am supposed to reduce her dose by .25u, but it seems strange. The guidelines say it is 'extremely rare' for a cat to need it's dose reduced in the first three days, and her other numbers have not been anywhere near that low (had not even seen a 'dark green' yet). So, I am throwing this out here for your thoughts/comments.

Thanks.

2. FurBabiesMama

3. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

We have seen some cats have a strong reaction to a new insulin, it's not that unusual to have some drop and earn a reduction in the first few days when changing.
    Lev and Lantus, being depot insulins take up to 6 cycles before you will see the full effect of the dose, so you wouldn't expect to immediately see her drop low, and the dose is still building at this stage.

66 is below the reduction point for TR and given that the dose is still building I would take her down to 1.25u. If you find that her numbers creep up then you can call a failed reduction and take her back up. At this point with Lev you haven't got any data to see her patterns yet, so I would play it safe and take the reduction when she earns them, even if it is only just a couple of points below the cutoff.

Kris & Teasel and FurBabiesMama like this.
  4. FurBabiesMama

5. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

You're welcome, so far it's looking promising on Lev.:)

FurBabiesMama likes this.
  6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

7. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Mia's looking good on Lev! :):):)

8. saltycat

saltycat Well-Known Member

A nice start to the transition. I really liked the action on the Lev. Don't get discouraged if the dose goes back up in a few days as she adjusts to the new insulin.

FurBabiesMama and Gill & George like this.
  9. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Good luck with the Lev and I second Gill's advice to decrease and see. Safety first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.