4/22 Rosie AMPS:101 +4:96 +6:92 PMPS:109 +3.5:98

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA, Apr 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Yesterday

Hi, all!

The beans are back from Boston and had a very nice day with the daughter. Rosie's numbers look good and she was apparently is a great mood, sitting outside on the porch and wanting her tummy scratched.

Shortly after we got in, I went in and noticed her most recent pee had some blood in it. She has been peeing small amounts more frequently the last few days, but I did not make anything of it. So we will be going to the vet tomorrow.

If it is an infection and he wants to give her an antibiotic, is there anything to avoid besides Convenia? She takes pills very well, btw.

Thanks!

2. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

I think it's more the liquid types you have to watch as they often contain sugar. Yay for a kitty that takes pills well - amazing!

3. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Thanks! We can give her just about any pill if it is wrapped in a bit of cheese.

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

To get the best treatment possible, you'll want them to do a cystocentesis and draw a sterile sample using a needle first and send it off for a culture and sensitivity. They can look under a microscope for the presence of bacteria but to know for 100% sure which AB will work the best, they need to grow a culture and see which AB kills that particular bacteria the best.

Once that's done, they can start her on a good broad spectrum AB for the first few days until the C&S are back and if it shows she needs a different AB, you can switch then to make sure you kill it off completely.

Don't forget to start her on a probiotic if she's going on AB to help put the "good" bacteria back into her intestines and help with preventing diarrhea

5. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I hope Rosie is all better soon!!
    :bighug:

6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Vetty vines. My vet likes Convenia but it's not really for a UTI. After reading the insert I won't be letting Max get it as I can pill him. I'd wait for the culture which should just take a few days.

7. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

No advice on the AB. Sending good vetty vines.

8. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Thanks,, everyone. Rosie is just in the lagoon at +3.5 with a 98. I just hope we don't end up all messed up BG wise and digestive-wise with an AB. On the other hand, if she has a slight infection, treating it might help her overall numbers to come down...

9. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

If Rosie has an infection you have got to treat it, and her bgs will almost certainly come down when the infection is gone. It's important to have the C&S done for UTIs so that the best antibiotic for the type of bacteria can be given.
    @Sienne and Gabby (GA) and @Marje and Gracie both recommend a particular brand, but I don't remember the name!

In the meantime, Rosie, Party ON!!

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Ella & Rusty

10. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Usually clavamox can be used but be sure and get the pills as some times the liquid they give you to mis has sugar in it. The other antibiotic which can be sued for urinary tract issues is Baytril.

If those might make her sick, orbax is also a good one for UTIs.

Sending Miss Rosie healong vines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.