4-26-18 Jones AMPS 144 , + 6.5 103 PMPS 130, +4 166

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tracey&Jones (GA), Apr 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Yesterday

Jones ate last night! Almost all of his food. I think he is the one still depositing some gooey poo in the litter box so I think I am going to have to go back up on the metronidazole for awhile.

Civvie Rain (CKD Stage II) has been vomiting quite often lately. It doesn't seem to matter what food she is on. Sometime it is with food, sometimes after she drinks sometimes it just foamy white vomit. I think as she slowly progresses she is needing some pepcid. So question is how much? I had the liquid kind you could squirt in her mouth but she is terrible to medicate. So if I could crush it up on top of her food I would like to try that.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  2. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

I don't personally have any experience on dosing pepcid but here's the link to Tanyas site with recommendations on dosing.
    You need to be careful which type of Pepcid you get as some have undesirable ingredients, all the info is on this page
    https://www.felinecrf.org/appetite_loss_nausea_vomiting.htm#famotidine

Have you tried raising bowl? Slippery elm bark? On that link it talks about trying some more natural things first before trying the pepcid.

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Jones is eating. I hope his poo firms up.

I'm sorry Rain has been vomiting. I hope the pepcid will help. Just make sure it is not the pepcid AC. Sending prayers.

4. HWright

HWright Well-Known Member

Hej, Tracey,
    Here’s a link that includes some ways to make a SEB syrup, paste and I think a way to make it into little balls like little pill pockets. In the article you have to scroll way down to the assist feeding /Finger Swiping section to get their info re SEB. Can use marshmallow root instead ofSEB and mix with water or George’s Aloe Vera juice.

If memory serves, I think @Sean & Rufus has been doing the paste pills made with SEB and The George’s brand of AVJ with his Rufus.
    Hope this helps.
    http://www.foodfurlife.com/medicating--assist-feeding-your-cat.html

5. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

I tried numerous times to make the paste balls and they didn't quite work out. Rufus hated them and they didn't seem to help any :( I've been trying to mix it in with his food and then he won't eat the food. It must be bitter? My situation is different though, and anything and everything makes him nauseous. When we were doing pepcid, he was getting 5mg of Pepcid ac daily. Not max!

6. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I would consult with your vet and if Rain hasn't had a check up recently, maybe getting a once-over is a good idea.

Usually the starting dose for Pepcid is 2.5mg (1/4 of a 10mg pill), given at night, but of course ECID. My Trix did need 5mg BID but her CKD was very advanced for 3 years. I would definitely go with the smallest dose possible...but again, a discussion with the vetty about it is always good idea.

7. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Thanks everyone for the replies.

She just had her 6 month check about a month ago. Full work up of BW and urinalysis. Slow progression on her stage II DX. She is 8 yrs post dx, she was caught very early and is holding on very well. She is on no other medications/supplements as this point in time except for my attempts at subq. Her BUN and creatine are high but her other major watch factors are still within normal range.

Her bowl is already raised within the feeder. She has food available 24/7 with her feeder. I will have to try the SEB.

She is just terrible to medicate...she is like an 6lb alligator. Subq fluids are just horrendous to try and give.

I do have a script for the famotidine but like I stated above...alligator...I end up with more on me then in her mouth.

I will try the paste. Can you put that into a pill pocket or something?

8. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Ok for the AVJ - there is many different ones ....which one did you buy?

9. Tracey&Jones (GA)

He was CPC today...so not sure if he went low or just liked the food combination. We will have to see...

10. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.