4/27 Ella pm 109

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by tpr, Apr 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

Re: 4/27 Ella am 212 +1=104+2 =55+3=36 +6=133+9=158

just to clarify, am i looking at the second picture of the dosing examples? It's really difficult for me to see where it actually needs to be.

2. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

You two should go out and have a lovely dinner and then sleep!

3. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

yes, the second picture. it might help to see it if you compare it to the third picture. notice where there is air space between the plunger and the needle-end of the syringe. many people practice with water - if it's colored it will help you see it in the syringe. tea, food coloring, etc. some people count out drops - draw up .5u and then count how many drops are in that. redraw and count out drops til you think you've got 0.1u.

so she's eating about 1 5.5oz can of cat food per day and weighs about 11lbs. when you last took her in to the vet, was her weight stable?

usually any kind of infection or inflammation causes higher BG numbers.

how are you feeling about skipping tonight's shot? is that ok? we're trying to err on the side of caution with her. it might be helpful if you guys talk about what you feel comfortable about tomorrow. she doesn't seem done with insulin, but she sure is reactive. for many cats, we'd have looked at the 36 today and said it was left-over from the previous shed and had the cat repeat the .75u. ella just has her own plans.

please think about tomorrow morning and what you might want to do based upon different numbers at preshot time.

4. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

The last time we took her to the vet she had gained half a lb. I can call them and get an exact weight for her if you need one.
    If infections and inflammation cause high bg's, and ella is not presenting with high bg's then can we rule that out?
    I feel ok with not shooting. Greg was ready to go for it but I'm happy to give her ears a rest. Does it only take one cycle to drain the shed?

Will somone be around in the morning to help me with dosing suggestions? Can I move the shot time back to 6 or 6:15?

marje...we might order something in tonight. greg is putting in an arched cedar ceiling in the bathroom and is on a mission to get it done. he was happy to take the day off to work on his project. he has many!

5. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

11.8 lbs...whoa she's closer to 12lb! i better get her on the treadmill!

should i get a +1? :lol: :lol:

6. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

I didn't answer your question regarding how much she has eaten. She ate 1/2 can with me in the morning and then greg gave her 25 ml of hc and 5 ml of gravy and approx 20 drops of syrup (he used his fingers to rub it on her gums a few times so we're guessing 20 in total).
    I believe I mentioned a few times in the last week or so that she's been eating less. Someone said that there cat doesn't eat as much when they are low and the vet said it may be due to a change of heart to the food or uri.

7. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I'll be around in the morning, and yes you can adjust your shot time to whatever works best for you.
    I do want to go get my car inspected at around 8:00am, but it hopefully won't take that long. I'll be up and on the board at 6:00am. The 0.10 is such a little teeny dose, if you decide to go that route, that I don't think you'll have to worry tomorrow morning.

8. julie & punkin (ga)

yes, when you've skipped a shot you can readjust your shot time to 6, 6:15, whatever you want. dyana will likely be on (your morning angel) but i'm just thinking ahead so we don't put it all on her shoulders at 6am!

cats in high numbers don't use the nutrition well in the food, that's why newly diagnosed are often starving. as a cat gets into better BG control, the amount they eat will usually decrease because they are getting the nutrients from what they are eating.

if she's gained 1/2 lb, i don't think we have a problem. *whew* but if only she would eat on her own.

if she has a stuffy nose that can affect their appetite. if nothing smells good, nothing tastes good either. some people warm up the cat food to make it more stinky. (yum) :lol:

heehee you can get a +1, sure! it's all data! you might want to get a before-bed test so we see what she's doing with the skipped dose. great that Greg was ready to go for it - what a guy!

btw, it's helpful if you update the subject line that's seen on the main page.

9. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

I wont' be getting a +1 but will get something before we go to bed. Ella gets her food blended and warmed (princess) and fed!!!
    Maybe I've created a monster!? When she was high on kibble she only wanted the water out of a syringe. She would drink on her own in desperation but that was it.
    she sky rockets when we skip a dose so her pancreas still needs some time to figure things out. I think I understand what the .1 dose is. I just have to leave a teeny space after the first line. I can only imagine how fun it will be to get air bubbles out of that!
    Do we think the decrease in the amount of food she is eating is affecting her numbers?

10. julie & punkin (ga)

definitely could be. there is a direct relationship between the amount of carbs consumed and the amount of insulin needed.

here's the thing about the dose. what you want to do is to be able to recreate the same dose again. doesn't matter if your .1 is equal to my .1 - just matters that you can do it again and again so you are able to be consistent in dosing, can increase or decrease as needed. you might keep a used syringe with that amount in it so you can refer back to it.

oh, and your question earlier about how long the shed can have an effect on the dose - depends on the cat (you knew i'd say that!) but it can be up to 6 cycles. that's why back to back reductions in sequential cycles sometimes don't hold and people have to increase a dose back up again.

11. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

so if we dose tomorrow it doesn't sound like her shed will be empty. is that what we want to occur before we start her on the.1u?

hmm... maybe the decrease in the amount of food is one of the pieces in this puzzle. does it sound like she's getting enough nutrients for her weight, even with the decreased amount?

12. Marje and Gracie

Some cats don't take 6 cycles for the shed to deplete. Some, like Gracie, do. So we don't really know with Ella. I think I'd still try the .1u; you can always take her up if it is not enough.

A kitty should get about 20 calories per pound for the weight they should be. So if she should weigh 10 lbs, she should get 200 calories/day. It's best if they do not drop below 15 calories/lb.

Hope you all have a nice night. See you tomorrow!! Great job again.

13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Lots of excitement today Tamara and Greg! You guys are awesome.

I found a slightly cheaper place to get Bayer Contour test strips if you don't find them on eBay. They are for sale until May 2nd through London Drugs for $71.99 per 100 http://www.londondrugs.com/Cultures...od Test Strips&ProductID=0775619&ProductTab=3

They are only located in western Canada but you can buy on the web and they do ship to Ontario via Canada Post.

14. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

Re: 4/27 Ella pm 109 +340

Ella is not a happy camper +6=340. She does not like this colour on her:(
    Before I tested I gave her 1/8 of food so it will probably bring her up a bit. We're going to try and snuggle now. I've had two naps tonight so far. My sleeping cycles are messed up...can't seem to stay asleep for an extended amount of time.

Thanks to all the angels who visited my condo:) You are wonderful:)

15. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing Wendy:) We all love a good deal!

16. julie & punkin (ga)

oh boy. well we have confirmation that she isn't done with insulin - at least that's my thought.

get back in the saddle in the morning. 0.25u is a possible dose as well if she's high.

sorry you're having trouble sleeping. even when you can sleep, you can't, eh?

17. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

sleep will be my friend again someday:)

am not surprised about the number. she's been doing this with all of the skipped shots and then clearing and then diving. she still needs the juice but the question is: how much? If only she could tell us :D

18. julie & punkin (ga)

maybe if you tried reading her the protocol just one more time! ;-) :lol:

19. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

taking the sticky to the bedroom right now:)

ni ni Julie!

20. julie & punkin (ga)

:YMHUG:

ni night! sleep tight!

21. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

I was thinking earlier that maybe you should have shot just a little bit, but didn't dare put it in print because I swear she'd take it as a challenge to plummet again. Apparently she needs a dose somewhere between "nothing" and a "smidge". The nice thing is it's much harder to dive into scary numbers on microdoses. However, Ella appears to enjoy confusing everyone. Perhaps she expects you to measure and shoot fractional drops of insulin. Better start practicing...

MJ

22. Marje and Gracie

Some cats bounce up until a few weeks before they go you know where.....just sayin'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.