4/3/18 | Darwin update + vines for civvie

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tasha & Darwin, Apr 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tasha & Darwin

Tasha & Darwin Well-Known Member

Condo (3/9/18)

Hello all! It's been a while since I posted an update, but I try and sneak in an see how everyone is doing when I can!

Darwin has been doing excellent overall! He is switched over to RadCat now (which he LOVES!), and I am quite sure he has turned into a kitten again - he has SO much energy! He has been doing some coughing in the last week - he had been dx with possible asthma/allergic bronchitis in the past, and it flares up seasonally. I attempted to try and hide some Chlorpheniramine in his food this morning, but that was a NO GO - will reluctantly pill him, and see if it helps.

He also had some incidental findings of early joint disease in his elbows on one of the x-rays taken during his pneumonia flare up, so I am proactively starting him on Adequan, which he tolerated beautifully last night. Of course, I swear he's limped on his left front leg twice after waking up from a nap, but it cannot be ruled out that I am paranoid! :rolleyes:

In other news, our senior civvie, Ben (almost 17 years old) gave us a bit of a scare at the end of February with Glucosuria, but thank heavens it ended up being stress and not FD (he is on chronic Pred for severe arthritis). BUT, he came in to work with us today for a denistry (he has a possible FORL), and his heart rate was HIGH. Way higher than normal, and there are some possible changes to his heart on chest x-rays. Fingers crossed his labwork comes back as hyperthyroid (which can cause high HR, but was normal a month ago :arghh:). He is scheduled for an echocardiogram next week with the cardiologist. My partner has had Ben since he was a (abandoned at the vet clinic!) kitten, so she is very worried. Vines would be MUCH appreciated! :(

Sending vines out to all the kitties and beans in need :bighug:

2. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

6D3D13E4-2413-4BAC-90D6-8D61923EE7C7.jpeg Sending bunches of vines

Tasha & Darwin likes this.
  3. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Yay! I’m glad he’s acting like a kitten again. :cat: Same thing happened to Asia after those bad teeth came out. I hope his asthma settles down and you can help him without too much of a fight. Good luck with the Adequan, I’m sure it will be (less obvious) but way more effective ultimately, starting early like this.

Poor Ben, I hope it is hyper-T rather than something else. Tons of vines to Ben. Maybe it could also be the teeth and things will calm down after the dental? Asia had an absurd systemic infection because of her teeth, it’s not always obvious that they are related but tooth infection and heart disease are linked.

4. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

love light and healing:bighug::bighug:

5. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

Happy to hear how well Darwin has been feeling. :cat::bighug: I hope Felix will be as joyful about being off kibble someday; he eats canned pretty much exclusively now, but he's still at the stage of feeling deprived.

Vines and wishes for Ben.:bighug: Sorry his mommas have more worries. :bighug::bighug:

6. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

Healing vines and good energy comin' your way.

Attached Files:

7. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

It's good to hear Darwin is acting like a kitten again. I hope his coughing settles down and the Adequan helps. Sending prayers for Ben. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

8. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

Great update for Darwin. Sending vines and prayers for Ben!

9. Tasha & Darwin

Tasha & Darwin Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone! :bighug::bighug:

Unfortunately, and as I expected, his T-4 level came back normal. His BG was 253 today, so we added on a Fructosamine just to make sure this is stress again (he just had Glucosuria before, not elevated BG). Fingers crossed this isn't FD and heart :arghh::arghh: He can get in for an echo at the end of the month so he's scheduled unless something changes and we need to get him in sooner. Other than the very high heart rate, he has no changes in breathing, no coughing, etc.

It's so amazing how well they can do with no teeth. I've mentioned it to a few clients at work, and they are always horrified, but he eats better than he ever has! :cat: I pilled him some antihistamine tonight, and he was reasonably good! I think it was a bit of a surprise for him though! :joyful:

I had a feeling that the T-4 level would be normal - it's always been well within normal range. We'll know more with the cardiologist consult. There's no doubt he needed that dental, and there is a chance that the dental issues have brought on a heart issues, but hopefully not the case. If his heart checks out fine; we'll pursue the dentistry. If it doesn't, we may discuss pulse antibiotics in lieu of extracting the bad teeth. He's already on a slew of pain meds due to his previous spinal injury, so at least his teeth probably aren't super painful for him. Poor guy! He's been so healthy (aside from his chronic pain) until now - pretty good for 17 years!

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  10. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Sending lots of vines for Ben. I hope it will all be OK.

Darwin is lookin' good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.