4/3 Gracie 316 AMPS

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Michele & Gracie, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michele & Gracie

Michele & Gracie Member

http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10882
    Good Morning All! :smile:

It was a gorgeous day yesterday here in Central KY. Hoping today will be the same.

Gracie did well last night after she calmed down. DBF had the day off and tested her a couple of times during the day. When I was running late on the way home from work, he called to tell me he tested her again and was going to feed her and give her her shot. He also said that he had finally caught her after a merry little chase...so I asked him to wait until I got home so she could calm down a bit and I could re-check her numbers. Unfortunatley, she had already eaten half a can, but I was able to get a good reading at amps+13 and shot based on his number and mine...

Found some awesome treats at Pet Smart last night-Gracie is treating the freeze dried salmon like kitty crack. The beauty of it is that it's 100% salmon! So I would think it is almost 0 carbs...? She had no interest in the freeze dried shrimp or doggie treat freeze dried liver. Niether did any of the others. Buddy will be happy to keep those to himself!

Well, Gracie's been tended to, the Heathens have been fed, the dog walked and fed, the BF is still at work, so I'm going back to bed. The birds are chirping and singing, the neighbor's rooster is crowing and I hear a couple of squirrels arguing. There's a hint of a pinkish, purplish tinge in the still dark blue/gray sky over the mountains off in the distance...A pretty peaceful time of day! :)

Hope everyone has a good day!

2. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

What a lovely description of your surroundings...

Looks like Gracie is experiencing some rebound from her greens yesterday...very typical.

Have a great day!

yesterday's condo
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10882

3. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Gracie is pretty in pink too today? ohmygod_smile
    I get the prime Bites...freeze-dried chicken at Petsmart. I was wondering where you found the salmon? I haven't come across that at Petsmart as yet. I have never gotten the liver trets myself...but my two love the chicken...

4. Michele & Gracie

Michele & Gracie Member

Pink is a beautiful color after the few reds I've seen! And at least she didn't bounce too badly this time around. :smile: I am learning to control myself! ;-)

I found the Salmon on the very bottom shelf next to the shrimp. It was the only freeze-dried stuff they had in the treats section at our closest Pet Smart (Lexington, KY). The liver I found in the doggie section. We have another pet supply place called Incredipet, also in Lexington that I'm going to check out next week after work. I think they carry the EVO food, so I'll give it a shot.

Also loaded up on cans for the rest of the Heathens while there. They are not impressed with the Sophisticat, so I will return the cases I have left. Looks like they are a FF crowd. (gulp! Math is scarry...9 cats X's 2 cans each a day...) :shock:

Well, off to stock up on the human food now that the critters are set. Gracie showed a 271 at AM +4. No big dip today.

Have a good afternoon!

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Michele: Please remember to link yesterday's condo in your first post. Here's the link.

I would like to make a suggestion. If you aren't sure whether to shoot your regular 1.5u dose, please test and post at +11 and ask for input. Lantus really, really works best if the dose is consistent. Sometimes, with a low pre-shot, it may not be possible but in general, the more consistently that you dose, the better Gracie's numbers will be. So here's what's likely to happen. You shot 0.5u yesterday AM and 1.0u yesterday PM and are back to your usual dose today. Gracie's shed is going to be depleted and it will probably take until tomorrow to get the shed refilled and to overcome the fluctuations in dose.

In response to the question on your SS on 3/30 - 3/31: Great numbers in the PM cycle on 3/30. You probably didn't need to feed 1/2 can of FF with numbers at 88. A few bites (maybe 1/8 can) would have been fine to ease the dropping numbers. There probably wasn't a need to add any Karo to Gracie's food with numbers in the blues. Surfing in the 50s and 60s is very safe. Remember, dose reductions are earned when numbers are below 50. We wouldn't do this if it wasn't safe. You didn't mismanage anything. The AM of 3/31 was a bounce from the greens and blues the previous cycle. Chances are if you'd shot your full dose, Gracie may not have been in the reds at PMPS. Bouncing at this point is very normal. Gracie's liver isn't used to low numbers so it pumps out stored glucose (glycogen, really) in response to what it "thinks" are low numbers. It's a build in safety valve.

Is there any way for you to get a test at +1 or +2 on the days that you work? It may help to make you less nervous about where Gracie's numbers are heading in the cycle. You might want to try to get some early checks in on a day when you're home so you know when the Lantus onset point is for Gracie. That way, if you can get a test close to that time, you will know what's up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.