4/30 George AMPS 100 +3 73/ +6 103 PMPS 71

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Gill & George, Apr 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Yesterday

Morning all, I think I need IV coffee this morning BFG woke me up at just gone 3am and insisted I tickle and cuddle him till PS:rolleyes: every time I stopped he bopped me on the head.

He was very snuffly in the night, sneezing spluttering and making snotty noises. However he seemed bright.

I've started AB ointment in his RE, since it was gunky and conjunctiva was red/inflamed.

He ate his Tuna and Salmon breakfast with much gusto:) (it's his favorite), licked the plate clean. I can hear him snoring peacefully in his bed, means I don't need to get up and prod him to make sure he's OK.

Going to pop in and see vet, there has got to be something we can do to help with his congestion.:(

Vines and Prayers to all those that need them.
    Extra strong ones for Silver.

Juliet, Tracey&Jones (GA) and HWright like this.
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry George woke you up and kept you up. I'm glad he is eating for you. I hope the AB ointment helps his eye. Do you have Zyrtec in Spain? I've given 1/4 of a tablet every 12 hours to my cats when they get sneezing and congested. Sending prayers.

3. Gill & George

Do you find it helps Carla?

I was speaking to my vet this morning and she said antihistamines didn't really work for cats.

Vet has given me some drops, unfortunately they have preferred in them, as well as AB. She doesn't think that systemic absorption would be significant to cause BG probs. Though I know some folk here have not had that experience.

His vitamin's have arrived and his probiotic.

4. HWright

HWright Well-Known Member

Sending anti-congestive and anti-conjunctive vines for George and all in your clowder of the sneezy and goopy mode.
    Whatever the time of day (or night, ;)) head butts and cuddles rock ❤️.

Gill & George likes this.
  5. Gill & George

+3 93 2tsp GP chick&salmon
    +6 103 2 tsp GP chick&salmon
    He doesn't seem so sure about the lagoon today, appy still OK,

So went into town, his B complex vitamins arrived, as did the probiotic need to go and check up on dosages and how to administer.
    Also spoke to vet, she has given me more AB ointment, and some eardrops (pred and AB). She didn't think antihistamines were worth trying, and was OK about the supplements. The Lysine should arrive wednesday.

They do, might have to have a nap a little later though. I think the full moon was so bright he was regretting not going to the Full Moon Party:rolleyes: and wanted me to keep him company.

Amanda & Shmee and HWright like this.
  6. HWright

HWright Well-Known Member

Naps are good, too ;).
    Yes, the Full Pink Moon was beautiful, magically illuminated the night sky.❤️

Aww, George: no regrets please about not going to the Full Moon party...it’s all in the moonbeams and the cuddles, too! And if any consolation, I think Bella and Dancer had a few too many of Squallie's pink lemonade martinis cuz this morning they seemed to be looking for, ....what’s the expression? “hair of the dog”? The best I could do was some extra FD crumbles atop their breffis. Hope it’s an acceptable substitute, lol. ;)

Hope all feel better today and happy start with b-complex and probiotics :bighug:❤️

LizzieInTexas and Stacy & Asia like this.
  7. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

I really hope George feels better and the vet can help him today. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

If the b complex is the Jarrow’s B right, it’s 1/10 cap daily. It does taste rather bitter, I had some luck initially hiding it in a stinky food, but that didn’t last very long. What I do now, though it is laborious, is make up empty gel caps in advance until I can’t stand it. I got size 4, size 5 is smaller and would work best but I couldn’t find any. I used to carefully portion out the capsule into 10ths and then add each portion to the new caps, but I’ve done it so much I just eyeball it now and pour a little bit from the big cap into 10 of the small ones. I store them in an empty test strip container, the strips I use have silica gel in the container to keep out moisture, which is a bonus. I put some cream cheese around the cap and she eats it enthusiastically like it’s her favorite special treat! :joyful: It has really made a difference for Asia, I hope it does the same for George. :)

HWright likes this.
  8. carfurby (GA)

Yes, it helps my cats. If the congestion and/or sneezing gets bad, I have to give it every 12 hours a couple of days in a row. If it's not bad, I can give it once a day. I hope whatever you can get for George helps. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

9. Gill & George

Yes it's the Jarrows I got in the end. I will have the fun of dividing it up later.
    Hmm I should have got some gel caps, I'll try putting it with some tuna maybe and order some, he's not a fan of cheese:rolleyes:

So it's OK to give with food?

10. Stacy & Asia

I haven’t heard anything about not giving it with food, I always do, they have B vitamins in their food anyway and if they couldn’t make use of any of them they shouldn’t be there. I know it can cause some tummy upset for some cats, if I recall correctly it did for @Amy&TrixieCat so I give it with food for that reason. I also use SEB to help if there is any tummy trouble and have Cerenia on hand if needed. I think tuna should mask the flavor, paws crossed BFG doesn’t get wise to what you’re doing. ;)

11. Gill & George

Maybe I will split the dose to mask the flavour more. I've got the probiotics on hand so I will start those, just at a maintenance dose since on a positive note that's cleared up. I'll give the probiotics with his main meals and the Jarrow as a treat.

I have no cerenia, but if I need some I can get some from the vet easily enough. I'm on good terms with her, so I can contact her out of hours if it were an emergency.

I'm now dreading starting the eardrops, because of the pred. But I guess I will just have to adjust the insulin dose if need be.
    Just about to get a +9 I was dissappointed to see a blue at last test, I don't think he is feeling as well today, he's lying flat out. I'm going to give him his Vitamins(full dose today) with a tuna treat, no point dilly dallying.
    Tomorrow I'll give it with a treat at around +2, splitting the dose and giving it am+2 and pm +2.

I wrote the above earlier, the tuna worked, he wolfed down his vitamins

PMPS 71

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  12. Stacy & Asia

It really is such a tiny amount, I gave it to Asia in a food that she never ate before so that if there were any bitterness, she would just think that’s part of the food flavor. She did like it for awhile and ate it willingly, until she didn’t. :p I don’t give Cerenia to get b vitamins in to her, but I would use the SEB as a just in case if there were an issue. I just have Cerenia for any of the other reasons she’s nauseated (high p, CKD stuff, pancreatitis, acid tummy). I’m so glad he ate the tuna vitamins! Woohoo! :woot:

If the pred takes care of the issue, it is so worth it and it will be short lived enough, you can dose the insulin around it. I hope it makes him feel better quickly. :bighug:

13. Gill & George

Carla have you used pred eardrops at the same time as the zyrtec?

I've been reading and it looks like the recommended dose is 5mg once a day, does this sound about right?

14. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest the same. It is also given for appy enhancement (not sure you need that). I haven't tried it with Gizmo but another appy enhancer (Cyproheptadine) is also a antihistamine.

I use the "drop" measuring spoon here. I mix both the b12 & b complex in with his entire cycle of food then portion the food out between PS/snacks but that it because I use the feeder.

I use MMR (marshmallow root) which has similar properties to SEB. I make the slurry and put it in his PS meals. Gizmo is also getting phos binder mixed in to his food. He doesn't seem to even notice any of it though I have skipped adding it a couple of times when his appy was really off. I use it (mmr) because of his ckd/stomach acid/nausea. I give it AM & PM.

Cetirizine (Zyrtec)
    http://www.felinecrf.org/persuading_cat_to_eat.htm#cetirizine
    (Includes dosage for appy enhancement application)

Cyproheptadine (Periactin)
    http://www.felinecrf.org/persuading_cat_to_eat.htm#cyproheptadine

Sneezing
    Dehydration
    Dental problems
    Side effect of cyproheptadine (longterm use)
    Respiratory tract infection

Congestion
    Dehydration
    Side effect of cyproheptadine (longterm use)
    Dental problems
    Respiratory tract infection

Gill, just passing along info, not suggesting anything by it.

Yo, BFG, get to feeling better soon :cat:

15. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Turned out to be a nice cycle for BFG. There are several peeps here that have good success with the zyrtec.

Sounds like he is feeling much better!

16. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Is the Jarrow B different from the zobaline?

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  17. carfurby (GA)

No, I have not. I give a 1/4 of a 10mg tablet each time.

18. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Yes. The Jarrow is B complex. Zombaline is methylcobalamin (B12) and I think it also has folic acid in it. I just give the methylcobalamin (less expensive).

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  19. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck with the new meds and supplements, Gill. Great that George enjoyed the "tuna pill".
    More vines on the way.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

20. Gill & George

Lizzie answered. I'm giving the complex because his BW result came back with mild non regenerative aneamia

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.