4/4 | Moose | AMPS = 302, +1 = 301 (possible FS), +2 = 260

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Moose (GA) & Rae, Apr 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moose (GA) & Rae

Moose (GA) & Rae Member

Good morning everyone.

Link to yesterday's condo.

Thank you for everyone's advice yesterday, I really appreciate it. I didn't get chance to respond to everyone before I went to bed, so I will do that in this thread.

It's weird seeing Moose at such high numbers when he was in blues and greens only a month ago. I hope that I can get him back there. I'm curious to see if the old insulin is effective anymore (that's what I shot him with this morning.) I will also work on getting insulin from somewhere else since I don't want to purchase the repackaged kind from my vet anymore.

Hugs and head bumps :cat:

Edit: I just wanted to share a picture that I took of Moose "chilling" at the vet last night. This was taken right after they had given him 2 shots, taken his blood and urine, and scraped the tartar off of his teeth. I don't know how he remains so calm!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  2. Moose (GA) & Rae

Moose (GA) & Rae Member

I did .5 this morning. 1U seems a little too scary, no use rushing it anyway.

I hadn't realized he lost so much weight, my poor baby.

Ok sounds like a plan, thanks so much
    !

3. Moose (GA) & Rae

Moose (GA) & Rae Member

Oh goodness, no we don't want any muscle wasting!

Do you use Dr. Lisa's guide for making the raw food? (catinfo.org) I had looked into that previously for Moose but never got around to actually getting all of the ingredients to make it. Honestly that will probably be my next step.

Thank you so much! I will definitely be aware of the phosphorous levels when feeding Moose. I had previously been adding water to his food and he was just fine with it, so I will start doing that again.

4. Moose (GA) & Rae

Moose (GA) & Rae Member

Yes, USG was 1.032.

The creatinine isn't as sudden as the BUN, his creatinine was elevated at his ER visit in January (2.5 mg/dL). I can still ask my vet about it though. I expected the creatinine to still be elevated but was surprised by the BUN results.

Moose is pretty large, and the vet confirmed that he still feels like he has a good amount of muscle mass despite being an older kitty. No, the vet did not get a phosphorous, potassium, sodium, and calcium readings unfortunately. I have heard < 300 mg for phosphorous levels as well.

Yikes, ok well that is a bummer :( Thank you for all of your advice!

5. Moose (GA) & Rae

Moose (GA) & Rae Member

:banghead: Ok I will look to get it elsewhere. I'm a bit nervous to ask for a paper prescription from the vet as I'm sure she will ask why I'm not buying it there anymore. It was hard enough to leave last night without buying one because she almost didn't let me go without it.

The Fancy Feast has been out of rotation for about 3 weeks now, I forgot to update my signature. I have since been feeding only the Tiki, but recently added (as of this weekend) Friskies Pate into the mix. Looks like Friskies has higher phosphorous as well, but it's lower than Fancy Feast. I just need a cheaper food to rotate with the Tiki since the Tiki is very expensive.

Thank you for your help.

6. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Moose will come down for you today, but it may take a couple of cycles for the depot to fill.

7. Moose (GA) & Rae

Moose (GA) & Rae Member

Thank you Carla :bighug: It's so weird seeing him in pink. Pink is not his color :oops:

8. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

When I ordered from Marks, they contacted my vet directly for the prescription. She had some very small protests, but ultimately agreed it was a better idea. Cost alone is a big factor. I paid $185 for a box of 5 pens (300 units each) and the insulin I had bought that she ordered was $105 for 300 units.

Mine was required to tell me the FDA doesn't guarantee medicines bought from Canada lol - but its Canada; its not a sketchy place.

9. Moose (GA) & Rae

Moose (GA) & Rae Member

+1 = 301

I think I gave a FS because I can smell the insulin on him. Obviously I am out of practice with shooting :blackeye:

10. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Hopefully, most of it got in.

Moose (GA) & Rae likes this.
  11. Moose (GA) & Rae

Moose (GA) & Rae Member

That is how I will present it to my vet then, hopefully she will not protest too much. It does make a lot more sense when it comes to cost! I hope they are able to understand that.

Haha, oh yes, Canada that crazy place :rolleyes:

12. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Very amusing for a Canadian like me to read this ... :smuggrin:

13. Kris & Teasel

Handsome boy!

14. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

I don’t make my own raw, mostly because I don’t eat meat so it would be difficult for me. I chose Radcat raw because they use eggshells instead of bone for calcium and that makes it lower phosphorous as well. Asia is now at a stage where I also use phosphorous binders, I don’t think you’re there yet, but just mentioning if you happened to look at her lab values. I had previously fed raw with bone (Stella and Chewys) until the diabetes diagnosis, she’s been eating raw for almost a decade and when we started there were not a ton of commercial options available. What I like about radcat in particular is that they don’t add a bunch of supplements or veggies to balance the diet, they use different organs and everything comes from the animal to balance the diet. They have an FAQ and one of the questions talks about CKD:

http://www.radfood.com/education/faq

@Marje and Gracie also fed a CKD cat (was not a diabetic) raw, and she makes her own.

15. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

Here's another choice for raw - very easy compared to making your own.
    http://www.foodfurlife.com/
    It is called EZ Complete. All you need to do is buy the meat and mix the pre-mix in with some water. Very easy. It is probably cheaper than Tiki! I did it for a while before stopping because it got too much with 4 cats, but if I had only 1-2 cats, I would definitely do that.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  16. Stacy & Asia

I think that’s was Marje uses too. I don’t know too many people who make their own entirely from scratch these days, it can be tricky to balance all the nutrients correctly.

17. Moose (GA) & Rae

Moose (GA) & Rae Member

Oh wow, thank you so very much! I can certainly understand how not eating meat would make it difficult to uh...grind raw meat! I eat meat, but I don't like touching it or cooking it so this seems like a much better option. I'm also worried about not getting the ratios of ingredients right, I would hate to screw it up and deny Moose necessary nutrients.

Did you have any issues transitioning Asia to a raw food diet? You said she has been eating raw for over a decade, what did you feed her prior to the raw food diet? Also, which variety do you purchase of the Rad cat? (turkey, chicken, etc.)

18. Moose (GA) & Rae

Moose (GA) & Rae Member

Oh wow, super easy! & hey if it's cheaper than Tiki than that is a plus too! Thank you so much! :D

Mandy & Rex (GA) likes this.
  19. Stacy & Asia

Before the raw, I fed her...kibble, for 13 years! :oops: Didn’t know any better.

It was terribly difficult to transition her to raw, she has always been a “this is my food and it’s the only food I want to eat” cat. She wouldn’t even eat treats or canned food ever for any reason. I switched because she had some major mouth issues (tooth resorption) and had to have almost all of her back teeth extracted. I don’t recall too many peticulars of switching her, but she was stubborn and didn’t want to. I didn’t have the luxury of mixing her old food with new because she had no teeth. Usually you would mix the old and new food, start off say 80% old and 20% new and over time shift the balance until they are used to it and only eating the new food. I transitioned civvie Toki to a new food by adding parm cheese to the top of it (she loves cheese). :rolleyes:

I was expecting trouble switching from Stella to radcat, but she loved the radcat from day one and ate it willingly! :woot: @Tasha & Darwin is another picky eater that switched and also liked the radcat right away. I currently alternate turkey and chicken. She’s always eaten chicken and she doesn’t tend to like change or variety. I might try switching soon to lamb, it’s the lowest phosphorous of their offerings. A lot of cats can have trouble with red meat, though. I’m only considering a switch because of her recent IBD diagnosis. Novel proteins are supposed to help.

20. Moose (GA) & Rae

Moose (GA) & Rae Member

Awe no it's ok! No judgement here. We (my parents and I) free fed Moose kibble for the first 10 years of his life. That is why he weighed 23 lbs at one point and became diabetic! We all make mistakes, but now we can make better decisions for our sugar cats :bighug:

Well bless your soul for being so patient with her. I can't imagine how difficult it is to have a kitty who is a picky eater (Moose will eat just about everything :rolleyes:). Do you remember how long it took for her to finally accept that she wasn't getting her kibble anymore?

Oh well that is good news! How does she do with the Turkey since she is a chicken fanatic? And by trouble with red meat, what do you mean? Does it upset their stomachs?

21. Moose (GA) & Rae

Moose (GA) & Rae Member

Oh yes you crazy Canadians with your affordable healthcare and schooling! :smuggrin:

22. Kris & Teasel

I know - awful! :confused:;)

23. Stacy & Asia

Exactly. And I switched to raw instead of regular canned food because her teeth issues happened at the same time as all the melamine poisoning in pet foods was going on. I chose raw because it seemed less likely to be involved in all that and it turned out to be a fantastic diet choice for her.

She was stubborn and refused to eat at first, it was not an easy transition, but I didn’t have any options. From what I recall she would eat a little and then refuse, because she was obviously hungry but she wanted her kibble. I did offer her rx wet diets (vet suggested, as she knew we were having trouble) to try to get her to eat something, she refused that too. I’m glad she finally decided to accept it. I don’t recall how long, but it was short enough of a time that she didn’t starve to death and thankfully didn’t get hepatic lipidosis which I didn’t know existed at the time! It felt like forever, but it was probably closer to a week or two, she would eat the food but didn’t like it. She’s never been an enthusiastic eater until recently. If Moose loves food, hopefully it will be a non issue.

The radcat link I sent you discusses red meat, it can cause tummy upset in some cats and they either can get used to it with time, or it’s just not a good fit.

She doesn’t seem to notice the difference between chicken and turkey.

24. Mandy & Rex (GA)

This is true for my civvie Keena. He's super sensitive to beef. Until recently, he couldn't handle any flavor changes.. but thankfully, now I can give a different flavor and not worry about him projectile vomiting minutes later on our light-colored carpet .. then having to rush to clean it up before Rex helps himself. Gross, I know. :rolleyes::p Sorry for the TMI! :joyful:

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  25. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

The +2 looks like you got insulin in him. Yeah!

If your Walmart won't sell you a single solo star pen, you can try Alan in the Supply Closet. I have purchase from him several times. He gets it to me in 2 days and no RX necessary. He sells boxes and single pens.

26. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

I have Rae covered for now regarding the pens. Hopefully this will be a short vacation from the falls for Moose.

Dyana and Moose (GA) & Rae like this.
  27. Moose (GA) & Rae

Moose (GA) & Rae Member

I'm so glad that it worked out well for Miss Asia! :bighug:

At least she was eating a little, I can't imagine how awful it feels to feel like you're "starving" your fur baby :( No I don't think I will have issues with Moose eating it, but I'm curious to see how his tummy reacts if I decide to purchase one of the red meat varieties. I am considering getting the chicken and lamb. He had tummy issues when first transitioning to the wet food, that's why it took me so long to transition him. I couldn't bare to see him projectile vomit every time he ate :eek:

28. Moose (GA) & Rae

Moose (GA) & Rae Member

Hmm, I wonder what changed so that now he can handle the flavor changes?

Haha, no worries about TMI! I was just telling Stacy about when I was first trying to transition Moose over to wet food and he would projectile vomit after each meal all over the beige carpet...so I totally understand!!

Mandy & Rex (GA) likes this.
  29. Moose (GA) & Rae

Moose (GA) & Rae Member

Hooray! At least a little something, and at least that means the old Glargine vial is still somewhat effective. At least I have something to use until the pens get here!

Thank you! I think I did see his name when I was checking out the Supply Closet yesterday, but wasn't sure which post was the reputable one and which ones are the...uh...not so reputable! @CassAndGordy is a saint and is setting me up with some pens, so I should be covered for a while but will definitely keep Alan in mind when I need to restock :cat:

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  30. Moose (GA) & Rae

Moose (GA) & Rae Member

Thank you again! :bighug: & I sure hope so, Moose was quite enjoying his stay at the falls.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  31. Mandy & Rex (GA)

I don't know and I don't want to question it too much and run the risk of not being able to give 2-3 pate flavors. ;) I have noticed that now 3 of the 4 cats (not Rex, the piggy) getting bored of one flavor.

32. Moose (GA) & Rae

Moose (GA) & Rae Member

So I won't be able to shoot tonight. Or I will have to shoot later...but that will really throw off the morning shot time tomorrow and I won't be able to check because I'll be at work. I don't like having a NS right as I am getting Moose started back on the insulin...but I had obligations that were planned before I knew Moose was going back on insulin. BF will still be at work. I expect to be home around 8pm...but that is about 2 hours after Moose's normal shot time...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.