4/4 Radar - he looks better today and he's eating small portions of a/d

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jan Radar (GA), Apr 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

yesterday's vet visit

Radar looks much better today than he did yesterday. He's not eating "normally" but he is willing to eat a little. I'm a little nervous about leaving him on his own today but will hope for the best.

Not sure what to do about his dose. My inclination is to put him back up at 3 units which is closer to where I think the dose needs to be but with him not eating particularly well yet I'm feeling the urge to only increase by .25 now and wait until the weekend to go all the way back to 3 units.

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I am glad it was an UTI causing all the eating issues. Vines on the test results being just due to the infection going on.

Not sure on the dose though. Will let the experts chime in on that one.

Glad Radar is doing better.

3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Radar continues to feel better and his appy picks up. Sending prayers. Did you give any insulin this morning?

4. Jan Radar (GA)

He seems to be feeling a little better but his appetite is very poor to non existent. He barely ate anything all day in spite of the buffet of choices we left him. After school, I went to the vet's office in desperation and bought some a/d because he's eaten it before and seemed to like it. He eagerly ate a few spoonfuls of it so I'm hopeful that he will continue eating that so I feel better about giving him insulin.

Having high glucose is probably contributing to him not feeling well so I want to continue giving him insulin... However, giving him insulin when he won't eat properly is a fine balancing act so he doesn't go too low when I won't be able to feed him reliably to bring him up again. I did give the 2.5 units of insulin this morning and need to figure out what to do next about his dose.... thoughts? experience?

5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Below are the tips we give out when a cat is not wanting to eat. Maybe something here will help Radar. I agree you need to be careful and not give too high a dose if he's not eating very well. Maybe try dropping the dose to 2.0 units if he's still not eating much.

Do you have any parmesan cheese? If you maybe sprinkle a little of that on her food, she will perhaps eat? usually ondansetron is better for nausea than cerenia but it doesn't hurt to give her the cerenia....it can help.

Can you finger feed her....either see if she will lick food off your finger or will she let you dab some on the front of her tongue or on the roof of her mouth? Just be careful that it's only a small amount and that you don't get it down her throat.

Here's some info Jill often posts when a kitty won't eat:Here are some things you can do do entice your cat to eat:

-sometimes in order to get a cat to eat you even have to resort to dry it is more important that they eat. there are a couple low carb / grain free brands -- EVO and wellness core.

-making a buffet to give him choices
    - heating food

sprinkle food with :
    - forta flora -- a probiotic you can get at vets or online. is very smelly and cats love the taste of it.
    - parm. cheese
    - smashed crumbles of dry food
    - Purebites Duck Liver -- crushed and put on as a topper.
    - bonito tuna flakes
    - halo chicken treats -- crumble into dust over food
    - poor a little water from tuna in water over food ( I use low sodium/no sodium added as other kinds in water has veg. broth in it and I assume that means onions, which are toxic to cats-- check labels)
    -powdered oregano. yep sounds weird . but some cats like it and it will entice them to eat.

other ideas of foods to offer your kitty to stim appy:
    - trader joe tuna for cats
    -baby food -- beechnut turkey and broth or chicken and broth. they have no onions or other additives. some babyfoods have onions . please read labels if you can't find beechnut.
    - kentucky fried chicken
    - deli turkey /chicken
    - plain cooked ( boiled or baked ) chicken breast
    -canned chicken for people (watch the label that their are no onions)
    - chicken broth -- low sodium

6. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Glad to hear Radar is felling better, hopefully his appy picks up soon...

Jan Radar (GA) likes this.
  7. Jan Radar (GA)

I've decided that I just can't risk increasing Radar's dose when he is not eating consistently. For now we will concentrate on helping him eat whatever he is willing to eat. Tonight's good news is that the a/d is a hit. He's eaten about half a can on his own mixed in with a bit of Tiki Cat and some water and heated in the mircrowave. :woot:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.