4/6 Latte AMPS-218, PMPS-239

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by carolynandlatte, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Good morning! Hopefully a calmer start to the day then yesterday.
    Speaking of...Yesterday:
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11125

Last Night:
    PMPS (+11)-269 (pred cycle)
    +3-356
    +5.5-332
    +11.5-240
    *Not a lot of food, but a little babyfood @ shot time, some wet @ +5, and bit of kibble overnight*

Started her eating at +11.5 with karo spiked food. She has had a few tsp of it, but now retired to her throne. Arg! Im glad we got a bit of a head start on eating, tho. Especially with this amps and me being gone from +2-+10. I will not hesitate to throw in an appy stim as I walk out the door, if need be. Means higher numbers today/tonight...but safe (if it works).

Cheryl and Winnie confirmed my thoughts on whether or not she earned a decrease yesterday. The answer is "NO". So 1.75u it is, which she is already showing potential action after a reduced shot and bounce yesterday.

She seems a little more relaxed this a.m. Yesterday was REALLY hard on her, as well.

To answer some questions from last night:

Paige - Cerenia is a big guns anti vomiting medicine that can only be given 3 days in a row, then a break for 3 days. Its very expensive and proves to work much better in Latte when given via injection (probably absorption issues). It lasts 24hrs. I will probably need to consider giving her some today in pill form (vet wont give me injection for home, blah!)

I pilled the pred last night because she was not too interested in the treat and didnt want to go through what we did the night before. Sometimes she has difficulty getting the treat in her mouth, or eats the treat around it (I wrap it in another treat) and spits the meds out. The first 100 gourmeds she did not have this problem. Second bottle is when it started. Her vet said that he used it on his cat, who did the same thing. Third bottle, just started, and similar things are going on. Wonder if they changed the ingredients. I may end up crushing the gourmed and putting it in a treat since she has no problem picking up/eating her regular treats. I just really dont want to pill...its too stressful and just as unreliable - she pockets and spits out later. Liquid compounds have proven even worse in the past (with pred, anyway)

She gets famotidine in the a.m. through IV port with sub q's. I know I could split it up, but then it would require either an added injection OR pilling. generally this has been working for us...for the time being. I either give the ondansetron at shot time as well, or an hour later. I hate to give numerous injections at one time, ya know? Get them all mixed upinto some wierd cocktail under her skin! :lol:

Nope, vomiting has been pretty good. Last time was 2-3 weeks ago? this time around it was my fault. She wouldnt eat all of the gourmed (pred), so I tried putting it in her mouth. Ive done it before. Not fun, but it works. maybe she was already nauseated. Either way, she threw up, including the 1/3 of gourmed. I think that just set her off to being more nauseated, plus less pred in her. She didnt really eat the entire cycle (12hrs), so in the a.m. when she dropped below 100 fast she started eating fast....triggering more vomiting. At that point she was in a cycle that needed to be stopped immediately. Thus the cerenia. Normally the first time she vomits I give cerenia. This time I figured it was triggered by ME, not necessarily some sort of flare. thought it would be a one time incident. guess I was wrong. You can read about it here:
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11051&p=110215#p110215

Thanks for stopping by Cheryl! :mrgreen:
    Now to get this little princess to eat more and find some clean clothes for work! Dont know which will be more of a challenge! :lol:

Will post a +2 before I head out.

2. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

Re: 3/6 Latte AMPS-218

Cheryl is good! :mrgreen:

3. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 4/6 Latte AMPS-218

Morning Carolyn.... (pssst...your link didn't work for yesterday.....)
    Whew...THAT was some report....good job! Hope you both have a good day today!

4. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Hope you and Latte have a better day. Sounds like she is doing better already. :YMHUG: cat_pet_icon

Too bad the vet won't let you give those injections at home. :-|

5. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Carolyn, It looks like we both had challenging days yesterday (but you won!). Let's hope for calmer seas today. Stu sends love to Latte.

Ella

6. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

Latte is one tough kitty.

Hope she continues to rest and feel better after yesterday. Hope you're able to get some rest too Carolyn when you get home.

7. Amy'sWinston (GA)

Amy'sWinston (GA) Member

Just checking in to see how it was going this am.

Hope you and Latte both have a better day today!

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

It's a good start for Latte. I hope she surfs while you're gone.

9. carolynandlatte

Re: 4/6 Latte AMPS-218, +2-163

I was just granted an extra hour this a.m. before work! :thumbup

I dont think she is feeling completely up to par. About 2/3 wet food gone, pretty quiet and to herself this a.m. Purring tho!

Glad to have an extra hour with her. :mrgreen:

10. carolynandlatte

Re: 4/6 Latte AMPS-218, PMPS-233

AMPS-218 (karo spiked food/started feeding @ pmps+11.5 -and she still dropped during this time)
    +1- 194
    +2- 163
    +3- 155
    +11-233
    PMPS-239 (pred cycle)

Much more mellow day today! Expected her numbers to be much worse, quite frankly. Im glad she hit blue so quickly. hopefully now her liver does not have to be retrained to accept those numbers. I dont think she was feeling too well this a.m. Very quiet and kept going under the piano, which is unusual for the a.m. Thats more of a night time spot, unless she is feeling unwell.

I am going to have to pill her pred for a while. She is just flat out refusing the treats. She knows. I will give her some time to let go of the association. Hopefully she will go back to them because she looks so defeated after I pill her (not to mention I just spent 35 dollars on these suckers last week! :-x ). Im really working on making sure it goes WAY back in the throat, as hard as it might be for me. I owe it to her...to try and make it easier to swallow.

She seemed happy to see me when I got home, and is now in the hallway - I consider that social! ;-) ).

Instead of babyfood tonight I let her eat some wet food from the can. its like a kid with a tootsie roll lollipop, working hard as ever to get to the goods in the middle. In this case, its working to get down to the juice at the bottom of the can. :lol: She doesnt eat a lot, but its something. And, she seems to enjoy it. :mrgreen:

Have a good night everyone!

11. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

So glad she seems to be feeling good enough to eat food from the can!

Carolyn - I was happy to talk yesterday morning. I had the time, I adore Latte and from my own experience I know sometimes you just need a response (though more experienced ones are always helpful!).

I'm so glad you both made it through yesterday morning.

12. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

You are such an amazing caregiver. It can be very humbling to see all you do for your girl. Glad she's enjoying some of her foods tonight, and few things beat the reward of her purrs.

13. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

I too am touched by your care and the way you write about the day.

14. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow, all I can say is wow.
    Talk about humbling.
    Carolyn, how you care for Latte and know her the way you do, well, no words can measure
    that love and devotion.
    So happy to hear she had a good day, enjoyed food and great numbers.

What a Mama!!

15. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

Carolyn, you just amaze me. I just now caught up with this morning's post. Had a 'weather headache' all day and wasn't good for much.
    I didn't realize you had to do so much medicating for Latte. If I'm ever sick will you be my nurse? :D
    Reading that, I was remembering how hard it is to pill Checkers. He too would mouth them and spit them out. I didn't know that, until I started finding them around the house. :lol: I found that if I gave him some tuna juice first, I wet his throat to make it go down easier, and he would swallow to get back to the tuna.

This morning you answered questions that I had yesterday too. I didn't know what Cerenia is.
    I hope this doesn't sound rude, but I'm just getting to know people and their babies, and I don't know why Latte gets pred, and is that what makes her nauseated?

16. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

I am going to have to pill her pred for a while. <SNIP> Im really working on making sure it goes WAY back in the throat, as hard as it might be for me. I owe it to her...to try and make it easier to swallow.

Have you tried coating it with a little butter? can make it slide down easier. ( can also make it harder for you to hold on to -- there's always a catch. worth a try?
    btw --do you pill by hand or use pill popper? )
    with my civie I coat the pills with a little amer. cheese and pill it by hand fast. he gets a litte confused --" i really liked that but what did you just do to me ? "

Nope, vomiting has been pretty good. Last time was 2-3 weeks ago? this time around it was my fault. She wouldnt eat all of the gourmed (pred), so I tried putting it in her mouth. Ive done it before. Not fun, but it works. maybe she was already nauseated. Either way, she threw up, including the 1/3 of gourmed. I think that just set her off to being more nauseated, plus less pred in her. She didnt really eat the entire cycle (12hrs), so in the a.m. when she dropped below 100 fast she started eating fast....triggering more vomiting. At that point she was in a cycle that needed to be stopped immediately. Thus the cerenia. Normally the first time she vomits I give cerenia. This time I figured it was triggered by ME, not necessarily some sort of flare. thought it would be a one time incident. guess I was wrong. You can read about it here:

and there I read :
    Gave appy stim, but will take about an hour to start working. If her tummy is not feeling right...it wont work well at all.

first Q: using mirtz? or cyproheptadine? just wondering if was still in system when all this was going on.
    eta: ok my brain kicked in and I reread your profile . cypro is what you use.
    remind me again ( brain not working that well :razz: ) why you aren't using mirtz?
    btw to all reading having all meds in profile is a great idea !!

in my experience treating both winnie and my civie wolfie for cp flare -- when on appy stim and not eating and vomiting or sign of nausea and I have dosed the pepcid and ondansetron ( which you are giving regularly it seems? ) that's when I break out the buprenorphine. pain can cause both inappetence and nausea/vomiting. I know when you tried it Latte got very stoned. not sure if you have tried it again or not ?
    I only use it prn .and I dose it a bit different then what I have read others doing here.
    ECID . I have experimented around w/i the parameters of the max dose my vet calculated for 6/8hr. I found the lowest most likely to work dose. give it orally. it works very very fast.
    if w/i 15 min my cat is not showing obvious signs of feeling much better. with Winnie that meant eating right away. Wolf often will eat right away too. sometimes though, he goofs around for an hour first.he's chowing down right now cause I buped him. and tonight the only obvious sign of pain was not eating after the other meds were well into his system. other times he will be ruffley, hiding, etc...
    If it has not been enough pain relief, I have room w/i the parameters my vet set and I can titrate up a little more. and that usually does it.as long as I keep w/i the max dose on a rolling 6 hours. I don't automatically give it again. I wait and see how he's doing.

Just thought i would bring up the bup again, in case you want to give it another go.
    Can help keep the need for the cerenia lower too ---of course sometimes it is needed no matter what.

I'm glad to hear this is the first vomiting she has done in awhile.

Hope tomorrow is a great day for both of you !

ed to add -- hope you have let go of feeling responsible for her vomiting. I know I have had to force feed wolfie sometimes and he just yaks it back up. and yep I feel awful until I realize.... duh remember the reason he's not eating (he seems to build up a tolerance to mirtz after a bit so we take breaks )
    and get out the flare toolbox.
    ((( carolyn ))) ((( Latte )))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.