4 Jan | Girlie AMPS 189; +7=81 Switched to human meter today

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Girlie's mom, Jan 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Girlie's mom

Girlie's mom Well-Known Member

Condo: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...-on-human-meter-ok-on-at.189013/#post-2101667

Doesn't she look gorgeous on a human meter? Green all day... we'll see if she can keep this up!

I switched to the Bayer (now Ascensia) Contour Next for its accuracy and range (from 20 - 600). The higher-sized blood drop required isn't ideal, but as long as Girlie's ears are warm, it's no problem. I'm keeping the Freestyle Lite as a backup. I love it for many reasons, including the smaller sized blood drop required, but it just runs lower than I'd like; the Contour Next seems less "off" the Alpha Trak than the FSL.

Wonderful conversations on Girlie's 3 Jan post while she and I were asleep. Lots of things to think about and reflect on! Thanks so much for everyone's comments and information... :)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  2. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

It really is easier on the eyes, not just the wallet! ;)

3. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Wonderful cycle! :D You should have changed to a human meter months ago! ;)

4. Girlie's mom

You're both right! Stacy, I'm not looking back: only did the human meter today. Still, it's like we've entered another reality: and yet I know that if I were checking her with the AlphaTrak, her numbers wouldn't look nearly as nice and I'd be stressed out. Blows my mind, I tell you, because she's absolutely the same cat that she was yesterday... I like absolutes (when possible) and quantifiable, logical explanations. It's hard for me to just let go of the differences between readings on human and pet meter - and, more importantly - the fact that those differences don't actually matter for the health and safety of the cat.... On the other hand (reality check), my Visa bill is out of control and I can't afford the AT2 strips anymore. But I've got a backup stash leftover just in case! :rolleyes:

Still, I assume that the majority of cats who've gone OTJ and stayed OTJ - and even if not OTJ are safe - on FDMB were (are) on human meters, so there you go...just don't look back, right, Stacy? Just make the change and don't look back... ;) :woot:

5. Girlie's mom

Thanks for that confirmation, Wendy. It's a relief to know that all of my hard work trying to figure out what food would stall her or drive her up wasn't a total waste, at least! Although, in a sense, it is, because I can see that as her dose is lowered, the really higher carbs aren't needed. And then it's interesting, because I'm automatically reaching for food that's higher carb than is needed right now. Well - at least this is never going to be boring, that's for sure! :rolleyes:

6. Girlie's mom

@Gill & George : Thank you for all of that information yesterday re: the Freestyle lite. I have to admit, on those late night "I'm running to the loo so now you're going to get a quick test" I'll probably resort to the Freestyle lite if her ears aren't warm enough for the Contour Next. I can always get enough blood out for the FSL or the AT2 no matter how cold her ears are (I am so bad! I know she minds it more if her ears are cold...)...

7. Girlie's mom

@Stephanie & Quintus , thanks for all of your interesting thoughts and observations. What an interesting thing this sugar dance is...

8. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

That's also why I'm being pretty relaxed about Quintus "not being all in the green" on these "no juice" days. I wonder what he would look like on a human meter?

You're most welcome -- that's what I do!

Girlie's mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.