4-Jan Mav AMPS 281|+4.5 239|PMPS 259|+2 232|+3.5 167

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Christie & Maverick, Jan 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Mav Wednesday

Bumped Maverick up to 1.25u this morning. I picked up some keto-diastix, I'd like to see how much glucose is in the urine. He's super easy to get a sample, with the ketostix tests, I just pick him up, plunk him in the litter box, and he pees :smuggrin:, even the drooler isn't as quick to pee on demand...

Hope he holds the increase a bit better than the last time, he only lasted 3 cycles. Some days, I honestly feel like I have no clue...1u isn't enough, but 1.25u is too much.

Stacy & Asia and Girlie's mom like this.
  2. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Bronx is doing good, thanks for asking. Happy New Year to you too Chrisitie!

Christie & Maverick likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope the dosecrease brings Mav's numbers down. Sometimes you just have to go back and forth between doses. Nice that he pees on demand.

4. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Peeing on demand?! Mav needs to teach Maggie that trick! :smuggrin: Hope the new dose holds and gets him back in the blues and greens.

5. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

Work that dosecreas Mav.

6. Girlie's mom

Girlie's mom Well-Known Member

Mav, get over the NDW and work that new dose! :D

The see-sawing between doses is enormously frustrating - I'm with you there. I think this is the fourth (?) time we're on 0.1 unit - I'll have to check. This sugar dance is not a smooth one...

7. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck with the dosecrease. Work the juice Maverick.
    I love that he pees on demand.

8. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

That is so funny that he pees on demand! Good boy, Mav! :joyful:

It seems a bit random to me when he decides to drop to greens vs hang out higher. :confused:

Since it's a new dose (again), if it were me, I'd be vigilant with getting the +1's and +2's and see if you can figure out what is a big drop for him in there and feed it so he hopefully won't go into neon greens. Then maybe you can see some more greens and keep on that higher dose a bit longer without having to take the reduction.

Also, what's he eating +6 through AMPS/PMPS? Have you tried the stop feeding after nadir trick?

9. Christie & Maverick

Small caveat to peeing on demand, it only works if Mav hasn't just peed :rolleyes:. Otherwise, he jumps right back out, and looks at me, as if to say, lady...I just went, whatcha putting me back in there for!?

I've tried +1 and +2, they're not usually very telling, but might be worth doing again, even if only one out of 10 actually show me something, it would help me get ahead of that drop. I'm also still trying to get his weight down just a bit, so that gets tricky with extra feedings. I don't feed anything after +5.5 to +6. If I get a test after that, it's a couple of freeze dried treats only.

I have to admit the last little while has been frustrating. I can't see that he's any better than he was two or three months ago. If anything, the numbers are worse, knowing that his numbers are higher than the human meter readings actually show :(.

10. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Still a neat party trick! ;)

I agree, most of the time it isn’t getting you anywhere to do the +1 and +2 since he’s higher, but just since you increased the dose, if you can head off the drop and keep him on the higher dose longer, you might get some more greens. To me it looks like he bounces a lot from the greens and just isn’t used to the lower numbers yet enough to want to stay there. Seems like he’s a little too comfortable in yellows. It’s probably a good thing you aren’t feeding after nadir, as long as he tolerates that well.

It is frustrating. :bighug: I wonder if @Marje and Gracie would have any ideas for you to try. She really helped me sort out some things with Asia.

11. Christie & Maverick

Mav does like his bounces, sometimes it's the quick drop that causes them too :rolleyes:! Thanks, Stacy, you are always offering thoughts and kind words, all the while Miss Asia is keeping you hopping :), I do appreciate it takes time to pop in on so many other people's condos :bighug:

12. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Hmmmm.....I’m looking at his +1s and +2s and I think there is a very real story there.

Let’s just go back even a week:
    12/27: AMPS 263 +2 308 tells me he’s got nothing for you that a.m. cycle and he didn’t. However, PMPS was 221 and +2 was 151 which would have told me you were going to be busy...and you were.
    12/28: AMPS 338; no +2 but I guarantee you it was lower than 338 with his +3 being blue. PMPS 270, +2 286 which are pretty similar and in meter variance of each other and....he came down. He didn’t have a crazy active cycle and I wouldn’t have expected him to but I bet he surfed blue.
    12/29: AMPS 157, +2.5 166 again within meter variance and he came down as I would have expected. PMPS 385 +2.5 270 ....now here is the one example I see that I would have thought he’d come down faster but he didn’t.
    12/30: AMPS 245, +2.5 191 and he came down; PMPS 320 +3 238 and down he came and probably continued down as his AMPS the next morning was up and so was his cycle.
    12/31: AMPS 176, +2.5 284 ho hum...very predictable with those numbers. PMPS 270 +3 193 and down we go. Again...I guarantee his +2 was lower than 270 with as active as he was that evening.
    1/1: AMPS 218 +2 256....pretty similar with meter variance and he came down but slowly. PMPS 293 +2.5 297....he probably came down slowly all night and you saw a bounce clearing cycle the next day.

He looks to me like he’s telegraphing exactly what he plans to do for the most part. If he were mine, I’d continue to get those +2 tests (not +2.5 or +3) if you can every cycle. If he’s within meter variance, he’s probably going to come down but likely not fast; if he’s lower than meter variance, he’s going to be more active; and if he’s higher than meter variance, it’s not likely to be a busy cycle.

The thing is, he is not a champion diver like some I’ve seen so that’s good. I’d continue to use consistent feeding in the early part of the cycle and perhaps up the % carbs just a bit (if he’s not a picky eater) but stay under 10%; no food after nadir unless he’s starving and then just give him a tiny LC treat.

When I scroll through his SS, there is definite improvement. Some kitties are just slow starters on a dose. They might show a little blue or green early on....enough for you to hold the dose past six cycles....but it takes 11, 12, 13 or more cycles for the cumulative nature of lantus to really kick in.

You might have jumped the gun just a bit on this increase but he’ll let you know soon enough. I would sometimes do that with Gracie, once I knew her patterns, onset, nadir, and duration just to kickstart her knowing she might only be at a higher dose a few cycles.

He’s bouncy but also not the worst I’ve seen or even close to it. Try to ignore the bounces. See if feeding him consistently with a little higher LC food can help you hold him at a dose longer.

Thoughts or questions?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.