4-Jan:Tyler &M :AMPS=310: +2=225: +3=155:+4=112:+5=113:+6=128: +9.5=261:PMPS=234:+2.25=247:+5=220

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by PussCatPrince - GA, Jan 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Previous day condo

Morning everyone.

So over last night after the PMPS I did 3 checks which were all in the yellow & this morning for AMPS ,worser & worser, he delivered a pink. :( Same food. Same insulin dose. I have noted that if I do manage to do a check overnight I am more likely to see higher numbers than during the day.

Only thing about yesterday was that mid morning he stumbled off the bed and landed awkwardly on his rear right leg. He has neuropathy so the legs are weak & he has seemed more 'wobbly' the last day or so. He has been his usual self though.
    Come the evening with his garden walk we noticed he was struggling more than usual with his gait so at PMPS I gave him 2 units of metacam - which is all I had and I know is not good for CKD - to help with any ache/pain.

This morning he took himself for a walk and a poo for which I have yet to clean the bum he can no longer really reach.

Wishing I had done more night-time tests the past few days as husband has been on-call and due to weather we've had some disrupted nights.

In simple terms that a tired person can understand, why is Ty now in yellows? Is this a bounce?

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Reason for edit: Being forgetful.
    Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  2. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Looks like a bounce to me, from those greens yesterday.

You sound exhausted :bighug::bighug::bighug:

With that drop at +2 he may be angling to clear it this morning. (looks like he is clearing bounces in 2-3 cycles) I'd test again no later than +4, see if he means business.

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Like Gill, I'm voting for a bounce. Tyler dropped 160 points in 4 hrs and that could easily trigger a bounce.

4. Juliet

Juliet Guest

I’m sure someone probably already mentioned trying B12? I found it cured Silver’s neuropathy very quickly. At his worst he couldn’t stand up to eat. I had to prop up a bowl for him and put a modified step ladder by my bed so he could still come visit at night.

5. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Hope that bounce clears quickly and safely for you!

6. PussCatPrince - GA

Thanks everyone. My brain is sludgy mud today.
    +3 = 155 Blue.

I'm using Solgar B12 methyl nuggets @Juliet . 2 x tablets 1000mcg a day. Perhaps I should up that despite the concerns for B12 for cats with CKD.

It is breaking my heart to see him stumble and struggle when just last September he was perfectly good on his own four feet. I have the box by the bed etc to help.

7. PussCatPrince - GA

Slowly coming up in the blues. 'Spect he will finish the cycle on a yellow.
    I've just fed him some of his daily ration.

Will the bounce get worse before it gets better ? Is there anything I can do?

8. PussCatPrince - GA

PMPS there is a drop from the test at AMPS+9.5.

All I can think is that husband did the AMPS 9.5 and was making a bit of a pigs ear of it. Several stabs and caused a cry.

9. Gill & George

The +9.5 and pmps are within meter variance of 20%, so possibly not too different.
    If his BG is actually falling at pmps, you may see him drop significantly early in the pm cycle. The +2 will tell you more (if you can get it)

He spent a nice bit of time in blue today.

10. PussCatPrince - GA

I intend to get it @Gill & George & thanks for posting back to me and Ty.
    I need to do more night work for Ty's sake.

His neuropathy has been really distressingly bad the past couple of days. He is getting B12 mthyl.

11. Gill & George

Have you read this from Tanya's CKD site?

http://www.felinecrf.org/vitamin_b.htm

Reading through the info there is info on dosages etc.

How long has he been on the supplement? From what I have seen with others it can take quite a while for you to see the effects.
    Has he got any gastrointestinal problems? These may inhibit absorption of the supplements.

12. PussCatPrince - GA

Since the beginning of December. I give the 2000 mcg rather than the 3000mcg because I thought it was felt this could place an added burden on his kidneys. Excess being excreted through urine.

No gastrointestinal issues that we know of. Eating and pooping quite happily.

13. Gill & George

That's not long. I've seen it take quite a bit longer.

That's good, so in theory he should be absorbing the supplement well.

I don't know if that's an issue or not. They way I understand it from reading on the CKD site is that as the B vitamins are water soluble, the excessive urination also associated with CKD leads to vitamin b deficiency, which is compounded by unregulated diabetes (which also leads to excessive urination). But in all honesty if he has an excess I don't know if that then puts kidneys under undue pressure.

14. PussCatPrince - GA

Actually good point. *thinks* !

Perhaps I should get a B compound as well as the Methyl and the Folic Acid.

I also need something for aches and pain relief.

I do look at Tanya's site but it can be a case of info overload between the two.

Girlie's mom likes this.
  15. Gill & George

I know what you mean, I look at the site too, George also has early CKD, lots of good info, but can be quite hard going.

Girlie's mom likes this.
  16. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Gill,

It's a bit tricky to find the following nugget of advice on B12 supplementation for CKD kitties on Tanya's Site so I'm posting the full text here:

Vitamin B12 and Diabetes

Cats with diabetes tend to be given relatively high dosages of methylcobalamin. However, Effect of B-vitamin therapy on progression of diabetic nephropathy: a randomized controlled trial(2010) House AA, Eliasziw M, Cattran DC, Churchill DN, Oliver MJ, Fine A, Dresser GK & Spence JD Journal of the American Medical Association 303(16) pp1603-1609 found that humans with diabetes and kidney disease caused by the diabetes who were given three B vitamins, 25mg/d of vitamin B6 (pyridoxine), 2.5mg/d of vitamin B9 (folic acid) and 1mg/d of vitamin B12 had a lower GFR (a measure of kidney function) and an increased incidence of strokes. The study states "Because these vitamins are water-soluble and renally excreted, vitamin toxicity may be more of a concern in patients with impaired renal function."

Cats with diabetes are usually only given methylcobalamin for up to three months, until the diabetes is regulated, but the humans in this study were taking cobalamin for 36 months. It is also not known which form they were taking, but most probably it was cyanocobalamin. These patients had severe diabetes as well as advanced CKD and were receiving multiple treatments apart from B vitamins.

I would not give more than 1 mg a day to your CKD cat, and personally, I would feel more comfortable giving 500mcg (0.5mg) only. Be guided by your vet as to the most appropriate dose for your cat.

[Emphasis mine]

Source link:
    http://www.felinecrf.org/vitamin_b.htm#methylcobalamin (at very end of page).

(Note: The above page also mentions caveats about: B12 supplementation and skin irritation; possible B12 contraindication in patients with cancer.)

Mogs

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Gill & George likes this.
  17. PussCatPrince - GA

18. Girlie's mom

Girlie's mom Well-Known Member

I'm with both of you there. Girlie also has early CKD, but I'm just blown away by the sheer volume of info on Tanya's site: although deeply appreciative, at the same time, for all of the details and links to various articles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.