5/13-14 Noodle - Surgery Recovery Update

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Patricia & Noodle, May 13, 2020.

1. Patricia & Noodle

Patricia & Noodle Well-Known Member

Last Condo

I am in the parking lot of the vet waiting the call from her surgeon! She will see him for a consultation and assessment now, then they will do the procedure around 11am if all goes as planned.

Of course she picked last night to surf the blues when she couldn’t eat after +3! We skipped her shot this morning as her dose is so small a token dose is difficult to measure, plus she’ll be in the office for it anyways.

I’ve got a protective shirt coming in the mail for her tomorrow (thanks for the recommendation, Cassandra!) and will have the living room area set up as her recovery space for Thursday. Fingers crossed everything goes well. I am calm for now, but that could change at any moment. :nailbiting:

Attached a pic of her brother Davey very excited about the excursion this morning because he thought he was going, too!

Attached Files:

2. Patricia & Noodle

After a long chat with the surgeon (I hate not being able to go inside and speak face to face!!), we landed on doing a left side mastectomy. He gave me the option of a full bilateral, but did not recommend it given the extended healing time and opportunity for complications. Doing the left side will hopefully cover most if not all of our surgical bases if it is a malignant mammary tumor, but her recovery will be quite a bit easier. They’ll do a chest x-ray before surgery and as long as that is clear, they’ll proceed in a few hours.

Here’s hoping this is just the worlds most expensive cyst! ;)

@AliceMeowliss&Cassandra - I tried to tag you earlier, but it wasn’t working properly!

If anyone is looking at this post in the future or has a cat with a mammary tumor who is thinking about treatment options, I put a comment on today's (5/13/2020) SS notes cell with further information about the options the surgeon and I discussed.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers for a successful surgery and calming prayers for you. :bighug::bighug::bighug: I hope it's not cancer and if it is they get it all. Love the picture of Davey.

4. Patricia & Noodle

He LOVES when she is in her carrier and we all go outside together. I think he thinks we are taking her on a walk with him. He kept booping her carrier with his nose and spinning around like "omg you're coming too?!? yay!!!!"

Her surgery should be starting any time now (11am EDT). I didn't hear from them about anything concerning on her x-ray so I hope that is the first good sign for the day!

5. carfurby (GA)

That's adorable. Did you take him for a walk?

6. Patricia & Noodle

My husband was taking him to doggy daycare to let him get some energy out for the day! Hopefully he runs and runs and runs... :rolleyes:

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Paws crossed for a good surgery and clean margins. :bighug:

8. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

Sending healing thoughts to you and little Ms. Noodle! :bighug:

Patricia & Noodle likes this.
  9. Patricia & Noodle

Thank you @Wendy&Neko and @Judy and Freckles !

Just got a call from the surgeon and everything went smoothly today and she's starting to wake up. The worrisome lump was sent of for pathology and all the mammary glands on that side removed. The second lump (that I was sure had been there for years and years and never changed) he said appeared to be a hernia with abdominal fat, but was removed, too. I'll get an update on how she's doing later today/tomorrow AM and hopefully she'll be home tomorrow afternoon! Pathology will come back next week and with his schedule I'll either get the results on Tuesday or Saturday when he's back at the hospital. Fingers remain crossed!

10. carfurby (GA)

I'm glad the surgery went well. I hope Noodle gets to come home soon and you get good results back. Sending prayers.

11. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I'm so glad you were able to get the procedure done. I unfortunately chose not to on a previous civvie of mine and she eventually succumbed to what I believe to be breast cancer..that was a long time ago.

Wishing you the very best today! Sending healing vines to Noodle!

12. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

It's so good to hear that everything went smoothly today Patricia, our paws are crossed for good pathology results.

Sending Noodle a humongous bunch of healing vines. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

13. Patricia & Noodle

Thank you @Sonia & Leo and @Sue and Luci :bighug:

She’s got a lot of people pulling for her, that’s for sure! I have a work meeting tomorrow AM where we do some knowledge sharing and prep slides. After doing my real work, my coworker and I made one with just pictures of her. :D

14. Patricia & Noodle

Staying in the same condo since I don't really have BG updates to make, just wanted to let everyone know that I spoke to the hospital this morning and they'll be keeping her overnight again tonight. She's still in quite a bit of pain and seems to be having a hard time when they try to ween her off IV pain medication. I think it's best to keep her comfortable rather than rushing to get her home too soon with such a large incision. Mama Bean is not doing well thinking of her in so much pain, though. :(

I'm trying hard not to second guess myself, but it makes me feel so guilty to wonder if I did this major surgery and the mass wasn't even a tumor... I feel so bad for her. I hope I did the right thing.

15. carfurby (GA)

16. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

Came on to here to check in. I just want to give you a big hug. How is Noodles doing today?

It has been my experience that cats bounce back a lot faster than us humans.

I think the surgical plan you worked out with your vet sounded good. Reasonable. I hope there are good margins and will be waiting to hear the pathology report too.

:bighug:

17. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

18. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

19. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

J.J. and Phoebe Squeak Well-Known Member

Sending healing vines for both of you!:bighug: