5/13 Oren; AMPS=412+2=531:+7=463;PMPS=449;+5=240;

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Megan & Oren, May 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Megan & Oren

Megan & Oren Member

Yesterday

As suspected, staying high, but so far at least, not radically up. Actually lower this a.m then yesterday...
    Depot might be helping that though. Come Fri., if (probably when) his numbers are still high I will tell her I respectfully disagree and want to continue w/ following the protocol. If she doesn't like it, I'll go elsewhere. I can always get another blood test (oof) at a different vet to check the status of the pancreatitis.

2nd dose of bupe on board this morning. Still seems ok from it, though his eyes are a bit dilated perhaps? Gave him just about 1.5 tbp of the DM food along w/ his FF. Again, he ate it, but after eating the FF first.

It appears that Fortiflora is used mostly as a flavor enhancer/app stimulant and/or to help with loose stools. He has neither issue, so I'm wondering if it's necessary or beneficial otherwise? I suspect now, she ordered it as a way to help convince him to eat the DM food? Also, I have been using miralax every day, and so am wondering if the two together is counter productive? Any input appreciated...

The horrible train accident in Philadelphia has me very upset. That is the route (the NE regional train) that I and my boyfriend travel regularly back and forth to see eachother. In fact, he was supposed to be coming tomorrow, but I suspect service will not be restored by then. Not sure yet what alternatives there may be... It's very unnerving, considering the fatalities and severity of injuries. Thoughts and prayers to all involved. Just one more thing I cannot control to be worried about, so instead, more :coffee:, snuggles w/ Oren and Patty when I can and enjoying the return of cooler temps.

2. Rose

Rose Member

There's that sweet boy! It's been a crazy few days for Zoey so we've missed seeing his handsome face! Hate that the vet's theories aren't working out too well for Oren. At least you know you can go back to what you were doing and regain some control if something doesn't improve. Hopefully she'll be receptive to there being another way that, for Oren, was working a little better. If not, keep trying the vets. We're on the third and he's golden.

How scary that thought is of the Philadelphia train and it being your train route. So happy that you and yours are safe and sound. Of course, our hearts go out to those who were involved. It's just awful. Hopefully BF finds a way to visit. Real hugs are so much better than virtual ones... ;)

On the Fortiflora and the Miralax ... I think you're right about the Fortiflora being used to encourage him to eat that DM stuff. (Is there really ANY cat that eats that stuff?!) The Miralax helps to pull water into the bowels to keep them from being constipated. Sometimes with food changes, constipation can occur. At least that's been my experience and understanding how it works. If that's not correct, someone will be along that will school us both. :p

Please try not to worry too much. I say that to myself every day and it's not easy. For me, I try to get outside and spend at least a half an hour in the outdoors watching life. The birds are singing, they're feeding their young, the butterflies are out ... it helps me to see things new each morning. The peace and quiet of a garden or the outdoors, for me, is only topped by the sound of gentle waves on a quiet morning. Either way ... it's about the tranquility and the time to observe and reflect - it's an energizer for the soul. And if you have a cup of coffee to drink while your soul's getting energized, then you will be able to solve all of the world's problems. LOL :coffee::)

Enjoy the day!

3. Megan & Oren

Megan & Oren Member

Rose; You're very sweet to check in on us w/ all that is going on with you and poor sweet Zoey! I managed to try and peek in a bit too because I've been worried about her and you. But you are one amazing lady, with unflagging devotion and good attitude, which I definitely have a harder time maintaining! Our situation is nothing like what you've been through (and are still going through). I sure hope Ms. Zoey will apply her 'don't tell me what to do' attitude to Cushings and soon be on the road to her spunky, troublemaker self!

and i know what you mean about outdoor healing time. It's about the only place that does help anymore. Indeed, my yard is alive w/ passing migrant birdsong (and my skills at identification have sadly lost some sharpness over the years!). I may have to get out in my kayak again in the next few days, especially if DBF is not going to make it this weekend. So disappointing. :(

I try, but unfortunately fail pretty miserably at not worrying too much. But I'm also terrible at confrontation and this vet is so hard-headed that it leaves me feeling powerless. Of course, i do have the power to just walk away, but it's also difficult. Disruptive, expensive, tiring etc.
    The next place I'm considering is a cat specific practice, and under their services section talking about diabetes, they say they work to create an individualized plan that's best for the cat and owner. They have an online contact form, so I'm considering approaching them upfront with asking if they are aware of the Roomp/Rand published protocol, supportive of home testing etc. Depending on the response I get, perhaps I can spare the time to actually go into yet another disappointing appointment.

So, another cup of coffee and back to work (from home today). Enjoy your day too and gentle scritches to Zoey.

oh, and p.s., my crazy hoover Oren does eat the DM, so far I haven't run into a food he doesn't like, except that he does turn up his nose at cooked chicken thighs, only breast meat will do!:rolleyes::cat:

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

The depot will be an influence for about 6 cycles. By Friday you will indeed know what this dose can do, although I think you'll get a pretty good idea before then. Keep testing for ketones. I hope they keep on being negative.

A friend of mine in town had a diabetic cat and went to a cats only practice. His only complaint about them was how much they pushed the veterinary foods. Of course, they do make money on the sale. :rolleyes: Make sure any vet interview questions include their thoughts on food to feed diabetic cats. I prefer open ended questions to yes/no ones. You get more thinking out loud that way. So ask "what food do you think diabetic cats should be eating?", rather than "what do you think about low carb wet food". Ask how many clients home test, instead of are they supportive of home testing, etc.

I've seen that some cats with pancreatitis have loose stool, so it could have been with that in mind that the Fortiflora was suggested. One possible side effect of buprenorphine is constipation. Neko gets pumpkin with her main meals to help with that.

I hope your DBF can make it this weekend. Some physical hugs go a long way to help one feel not so alone. :bighug: I agree with Rose on getting out doors. I also like hard physical exercise to relieve stress, preferably outside.

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

We saw that train accident on the TV out here in Aus. It looked terrible....those poor people. Hope your DBF can get through this weekend

6. Megan & Oren

Megan & Oren Member

well knock me over w/ a feather; where did that 240 come from?! best number in a few days. Maybe, maybe, maybe, some pain is being resolved? He's now had 3 doses of the bupe..
    he also was running around like a crazy cat w/ his sister after i got home from choir practice tonight; they were racing up and down the hallway and playing 'tag'. So maybe that helped a bit too...I remain skeptical, but very glad at least to see a better number, kind of out of now where?

The train thing just keeps getting worse; 2 more people died since last night and now it's been determined the train was going 106 mph through a curve w/ a 50mph speed limit, which no doubt contributed to the accident. Engineer is alive, and out of hospital but not really talking yet. No travel definitely tomorrow, slim chance it maybe running Fri, but seems hard to believe. holding slim hopes... Is there such a thing as 'train vines'?:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.