5-14-18 Jones AMPS 157

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tracey&Jones (GA), May 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Previous

Hope everyone had a beautiful Mother's Day weekend! I did, even if that made it busy. Breakfast with my aunt, DS took me out for dinner and DH took me out for a beautiful Sunday cruise on the motorbike and lunch. I need to diet after this weekend!

Jones is being Jonesy. He is eat ok and seems to have a more consistently appy (knock on wood) with the new probiotics and SEB.

I have reduced his dose this week as I leave next Monday for Nashville for a week. So didn't want to push him too hard plus he seemed to bounce as soon as he saw green. Rather have him all even keel before I leave.

Does anyone treat any of their kitties for anemia? If so how? I haven't really found a concrete method of doing it. I know it is not IMHA related and is more related to his chronic illnesses. Vet indicated nothing until to do until really low and then transfusion. B12 is recommended but he already gets .25ml once a month. Does anyone have any other thoughts?

Amanda & Shmee likes this.
  2. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

His bg's are in the acceptable rage for SLGS. Glad his appy seems OK but sorry I know nothing about anemia :( Got love when vets want to wait until things are on the super low end instead of providing some type of support. Then again, I just don't know.

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  3. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Behave while your bean is away, Jones.

My two cents, and it only comes from reading Tanya’s site, so take it for what it’s worth. I’ve only had experience with Asia’s borderline anemia and B vitamin supplementation has resolved it.

Maybe get a second opinion, everything I’ve read on Tanya’s says you need to know which type of anemia it is to have an appropriate treatment plan. Either your vet knows and hasn’t shared with you, or they haven’t figured it out yet? Is it regenerative or non regenerative. The inflammation from IBD can cause it, but isn’t that what the steroids control? I don’t know. It could also be iron deficient anemia but you’d never want to give an iron supplement without knowing it is needed because he can’t get rid of excess iron and too much is toxic.

Regardless, it cannot hurt to try B vitamins, he will just pee out what he can’t use because they are water soluable vitamins. That means methyl B12 and a B multi. The B multi is important as the methyl b12 can’t do it alone. It needs to be the methylcobalamin B12 to help with anemia, what kind are you giving Jones now? And why .25mL once a month? For methyl as far as I know it’s that amount every other week (as an injectable) or daily (as an oral) and the cyanocobalamin shots can be given weekly (it depends what you are using them for), however the cyanocobalamin b12 will not address the anemia.

Couldn’t hurt to start the B vitamins while you work with your vet or another vet to find out which type of anemia it is. I think you can be proactive regardless of which type (how to be proactive varies greatly, which is why you need to know) and you’re wise not to sit around and wait until a blood transfusion is needed.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

If the anemia is from kidney disease, then B complex and B 12 should be started. When the HCT of PVC is under or around 20% it’s time for epogen or Aranesp. Aranesp is used more often now and there’s less chance if antibodies than with epogen. You give sub-q shots at home and gave to get blood taken to make sure the red blood count is not going up too fast. Then it’s maintenance. I gave Tiffany epogen for 9-10 months and she never developed antibodies. It’s a good idea to check bp before and once takeing the either drug. Tanya’s does explain it well.

I just looked at your labs. I think it’s probably time to start Aranesp. It takes longer to kick in that epogen. I’d have a talk with your vet after your vacation and start the B vitamins.

5. Tracey&Jones (GA)

I know right! I don't want to wait till a transfusion...I want to see if I can support his body now and reverse or at least slow the degradation.

That is what he is on now. He was on upon first diagnosis and his B12 was in the tank. He was on it weekly, then every other week and then once a month. He has been on that ever since. His vet indicated it was ok to continue to give on going especially with the IBD. And yes, that is what the steriods are for.

He has a IM vet follow up to do but that is not until July, I think I will see if I can bump that up to the beginning instead of the middle. I actually was going to book him in for a dental and our regular feels we can still go ahead. So was going to do that for when I got back.

I was reading Tanya's site as well. I also read the in-jectable is better then oral in IBD cases.

I think I missed something in my reading though..I missed the methyl part...will need to go back again and re-read.

Sorry Stacy...you mentioned some of this before...I am a slow study...

Recent blood work indicates his kidneys and liver are working just fine.

More research is needed it seems.

6. tiffmaxee

That’s both good and bad that kidneys aren’t causing this. If CKD we have answers. Those drugs were are only for nonregenerative anemia caused by kidney disease. . Back to the drawing board. Forgive me for asking questions you likely already have answered but was an uultrasound done and nothing found?

7. Tracey&Jones (GA)

An ultrasound has not been done since he was first diagnosed in 2016. Nothing was noted upon physical exam for lumps or bumps. Just growled when bladder was palpated but there was no lumps felt.

8. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Beginning to wonder if there is some sort of bleeding somewhere. Every once in a while there is fresh blood on his stool. (I know it is his because he doesn't bury it). But it is like once every couple of months.

9. tiffmaxee

I only wonder if the prednisolone has kept whatever us wrong in check but now it’s not working as well.

Is it bright red? Could be constipation maybe? A bleed would definitely explain and should be an easier fix. Much better than where my mind was going. Plus it makes sense.

10. Stacy & Asia

The injectable is considered better for IBD, but it doesn’t mean you have to wait, it doesn’t mean oral can’t work, you can start with the oral form, you never know, Asia diagnositically has IBD as well and she’s done great with the oral b complex because I was wary of the injectable form of that one. I can send you some oral methyl b12 and oral multi B if you want, I bought a whole bottle of methyl b12 until we were able to get the injectable (it’s harder to get, compounding pharmacies carry it only) and the b multi dose is 1/10th a cap per day, so I literally have almost a 3 year supply in one bottle, it will expire before I could use it up.

No apologies, please. All this stuff is overwhelming and our brains are already filled to the brim with diabetes, IBD, whatever else (never mind life outside of cat stuff). There’s bound to be some overflow and you just absorb it when and how you can and that’s more than good enough. Jones is such a lucky guy to have a proactive and caring bean like you, Tracey! :bighug:

11. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Bright red. Every once in a while he seems constipated. I have dropped the metronidazole dose down and actually was going to do it again here if he continues to do well in the poop department. Was going to wait until after the dental in case the AB's given upset his tummy.

He has also been on SEB for about 2 weeks now.

With IBD...that could always be the case...but I think he is pretty stable outside the anemia. He has been borderline before going through his labs.

He is a complicated case. Maybe I just do the dental as he is definitely eating gingerly on one side as quicky as possble. Go see the IM and take my anemia question to him earlier than later.

Found this article..need time to read through and process...http://www.vetfolio.com/internal-medicine/feline-nonregenerative-anemia-diagnosis-and-treatment

12. Tracey&Jones (GA)

That would be fantastic...can we send it over the border? I'll pm you.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  13. tiffmaxee

Beware! I injectable B Complex stings. B12 doesn’t.

14. Stacy & Asia

That and there was something else about it I don’t remember, it may have had too much of something that wasn’t ideal. It’s why I ultimately decided on the oral b multi for Asia.

15. Tracey&Jones (GA)

OK, I booked him for June 8th for his dental. Get that inflammation and soreness taken care of.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  16. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Jones is eating pretty good for you. I hope you can figure out a good treatment plan for the anemia. Sending prayers.

17. tiffmaxee

I used oral as well.

18. Tracey&Jones (GA)

I have him booked into the IM on June 27th. So 3 weeks post dental. That is the soonest appt available.

So I will get my questions together for him to see if he has any further advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.