5/15 Miles regressing AMPS 133, +4 137, +8 127, PMPS 144, +2PM 201

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by marniepaul & miles, May 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marniepaul & miles

marniepaul & miles Member

My last post: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/4-23-miles-amps-68-3-119-8-111-pmps-124-3pm-100.156720/

With the pancreatitis firmly in the rear view mirror now, I've been mentally questioning the numbers our little sugarbaby Miles has been giving us. It seems like he's been creeping back up, with a corresponding increase in appetite, which would be expected. He's been diabetic for so long, I guess those old habits die hard.

We haven't changed anything in particular, but there is a possibility the insulin could be going bad, I suppose. We opened this pen on 1/8. Or teeth...his breath has gotten nastier as of late. But personally, he's the same old Miles, just with more appetite, and I guess a little more willingness to be tested, since he knows he's not out of the woods.

I've been crazy busy, and I wanted to make sure we weren't giving too much insulin (went over that again with DH a couple weeks ago). Sometimes too much and too little give pretty similar results. I'd been thinking we needed to do a curve, and then BAM! he gave us his first yellow number since January on 5/13, so that was a wakeup call to get it done.

So yesterday we did a curve which looked like this: 79, 99, 97, 107, 110, 178, 198 (every 2 hours) and a 245 at +4PM. It was like it just went wild between +8 and +10 (he eats at +8, and the foods are all FF classic so nothing weird there).

This evening I increased to a half unit. If I don't see any improvement by the end of the week, I will start a new pen. We have four, so not a big deal to do that. Typically we see lower numbers pop up every few days.

Anyway, it looks like Miles has shed his rainbow swim trunks (with the hole cut out for his tail, of course) and left his fancy Hawaiian surfboard on the shore of the lagoon, at least for now. I've been gone a lot lately, but I hope everyone's kitties are well and stable.

2. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

I would definitely have his mouth checked. Many people report that their kitty's numbers go up when they need a dental, and down afterwards. Hopefully it's something as simple to fix as that.

3. marniepaul & miles

marniepaul & miles Member

I hope so. He's scheduled to go back in June for senior bloodwork, etc. I plan to get a dental then, but we are going to Cancun in the middle of the month, so I don't want to do anything risky before we leave. Fortunately we are getting a petsitter with veterinary experience and she has said that testing and giving insulin are absolutely no problem. She will be meeting Miles and Stratus on Tuesday for a meet-and-greet. :)

4. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Wow, if she means what we mean by that statement, she's worth her weight in gold! I hope she works out really well for you!

marniepaul & miles likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.