5/18 Jubalee AMBG 226=222/+2 Vet Appt. 261/+7 OTJ 5/14 Please Help!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kadie (Juba's Mom), May 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kadie (Juba's Mom)

Kadie (Juba's Mom) Member

Good day everyone,
    Juba isn't great with her numbers today. We took her to the vet earlier and did a full blood scan. We will get the results back soon.
    I'm definitely thinking insulin will be a given for tonight. I have no idea how much, but I know we will need to do a different time than before because I again, am leaving out of town in the next few weeks, and my husband will be in charge again.
    I can't believe this is happening...

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Vet stress may raise glucose 100-180 mg/dL...

3. Kadie (Juba's Mom)

All these numbers were taken this morning before going to the vet and then about 4 hours after.
    Our vet said she looked to be in great health, but was suspecting her liver may be acting up again which could have a cycle with the diabetes flaring back up.

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Did the vet check her teeth and check for a UTI?

5. Kadie (Juba's Mom)

The vet checked her teeth and said they all looked fine.
    The blood results are coming shortly.
    I would love of it were a UTI or something like that.

6. Kadie (Juba's Mom)

Alright just got an update with the Vet.
    Juba doesn't have a UTI or elevated liver enzymes (like she did before her initial diagnosis.)
    The Vet did say her Lymphocytes were slightly elevated, so she wants to look more into that tomorrow with another vet.
    The Vet wants me to test her urine with gluco strips...can I get those at Walmart?
    She also said if Juba gets higher, like into the 300's to give her 1 unit of insulin...should I give her that much, or start out small??

7. Kadie (Juba's Mom)

Alright just got an update with the Vet.
    Juba doesn't have a UTI or elevated liver enzymes (like she did before her initial diagnosis.)
    The Vet did say her Lymphocytes were slightly elevated, so she wants to look more into that tomorrow with another vet.
    The Vet wants me to test her urine with gluco strips...can I get those at Walmart?
    She also said if Juba gets higher, like into the 300's to give her 1 unit of insulin...should I give her that much, or start out small??

8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If she means glucose test the urine, KetoDiaStix test both glucose and ketones.

To determine a starting dose of Lantus:
    Take the lower of his current weight or his ideal weight.
    Convert to pounds if not in kilos (pounds / 2.2)
    Multiply by 0.25
    Round down to the nearest 0.25 (we eyeball 0.25 and 0.75 increments)
    Or give 0.5 units (1/2 unit, not likely 0.05 as listed in your signature).

Our "No shoot" number for giving insulin is 200 mg/dL for beginners.

9. Chris & China (GA)

You can get strips that ONLY test for urinary ketones at WalMart and they're cheaper than the ones that test for both glucose and ketones

As long as you have your glucometer to test for glucose, that's the best way to do it anyway, but testing for ketones is a good idea for any diabetic cat

I don't think I'd start Jube back at 1 unit considering her numbers were so good just a few days ago.....Maybe .25 or .5 until you see how she's doing, but hopefully you'll hear from some of the others soon too

10. Kadie (Juba's Mom)

Alright, I just tested Juba about 20 minutes ago and she was 206. So she dropped from 261 to 206 in about 4 hours.
    Juba hasn't been on beef the entire day, since last night, and only consumed the seafood varieties for dinner. I wanted to experiment if maybe poultry/chicken could also be a contender as to why her BG level may be elevated.
    I also just tested her urine with the ketone strips about 15 minutes ago and the strip was negative.
    I'll update in about 3 hours to see how her numbers are.
    Here's to hoping she doesn't go beyond 300.
    >>>If the chance she does, I'd assume she needs to eat before giving her a shot of insulin. I'd like to start out small...maybe 0.05 units?? Does everyone think that might be too small?

11. Chris & China (GA)

12. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Kadie

I have to test and feed Gracie really quick and then I'll take a look. BRB.

13. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I think I'd start at 0.25u and be prepared to take her up to 0.5u in 24 hours if you don't see a response. Even though she wasn't on insulin long before or off of it long, you still want to get her back to green numbers ASAP. Just monitor her closely like you were doing as she came down the scale.

If she goes below 50 quickly, then drop back to 0.1u.

Any chance she got into dry food?

That would be the formula for a newly diagnosed cat who hasn't been on insulin. It could potentially be used for a cat coming back from a long-term remission but if you look at Jubas SS, you'll see she just went into remission. Also, Kadie knows how to shoot low numbers. Finally, the no-shoot number for Health is 200 or for new SLGS members. For those following the TR protocol in the L/L ISG, we ask the first time they see a number 150 or below, they post and ask for help. It's not an automatic "no shoot" as it is on Health.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  14. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

:( that's too bad - but the important thing is that you caught it quickly and are on top of things.

i think a 0.25u dose is a good place to begin. Let's hope she gets back in green right away.

If she were mine, I wouldn't wait for a 300 to begin. I'd just go ahead and get back into the routine without delay. She's been out of normal range now for 2 days - just my opinion, but i'd think the sooner you get on top of it the better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.