5/26 China AMPS 77,+3 45,+5 61,+9 60, PMPS 72,+3 69,+5 62,+8 58

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Chris & China (GA), May 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yesterday's condo

The LagoonMeisterin is on duty!!….Good thing too, since the LagoonMeister is chipmunk watching!!...LOL

Mama is enjoying doing absolutely nothing....although there's a stack of laundry calling my name. As far as I'm concerned, it can just keep calling.

I'm second guessing my cataract surgery....not because I don't want it, but because when the doctor said it was $1300 for the "upgraded" lens replacement, I said no. The more I think about it though, the more I think it'd be worth it...at least in 1 eye. It means I'd be able to see near, far and in between in at least one eye....and since I am getting old, being able to see near is just as important as seeing far away. It's a lot of money though.

I have a little money that was left to me when a good friend died but it can only be used for things that I need (or that would improve my life)….but it's also the ONLY money I'll ever have to use on emergencies too. I'm only 58 and my mom is 88 and still going.....30+ years is a long time to go without a REAL emergency or something like needing a new car

Sure would be nice to just win the lottery!!

2. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it though?! I often think about it not for all the fancy expensive things I could buy, but how much easier having just a bit more money would make my life... *Sigh*
    That is a really tough choice about the cataract surgery. The upgraded lens would certainly be worth the price in many ways.... I suppose the cost itself is not completely ridiculous, but still, it is a lot. My husband has an eye condition called pellucid marginal degeneration (PMD). He should have an eye procedure called cross-linking to freeze the eye shape so the condition doesn't worsen. The surgery is $2700 per eye, and while it should be covered by insurance, it's like pulling teeth to get them to do it. Long story short, I can feel your pain. It really is a tough decision. I hope you can make it all work if you choose to go the upgraded route.

3. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Sending prayers for wisdom about your decision :bighug: And let that laundry scream :eek: Meanwhile , Miss China , you be lookin’ fine :):bighug::)

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  4. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

And BTW , Chris , 58 isn’t old :bighug::bighug: You still a young spring chicken :)

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Go for it Chris is my opinion. I spoke with a man at the gym today who just had his second eye done and he’s so thrilled. Why not make your eyesite as good as it can be?

6. Chris & China (GA)

It may be too late unless I postpone the surgery ...and if I do that, it'll be mid-June before I can get it done

I don't know if they have to order the special lens or how that works

7. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Yo China, Thanks for working all day in the lagoon. Maybe I'll catch one of those Chipmunks tomorrow and I'll bring it to work.
    ~ Rusty

Hi Chris, You are young and you need to be able to see well. You should explore all the options.
    My sister, who was always very near-sighted, had her vision "corrected" when she had cataract surgery. She still isn't sure that she should have had such a drastic correction. The "triple" lens that you describe sounds interesting. I hope you can find out more about it before you make a decision. Do you know anyone who has it? Is it significantly more expensive than a "regular" lens? Will insurance cover it?

8. Chris & China (GA)

It's an extra $1300 per eye and no, my insurance won't cover it. It only covers the "basic" lens replacement

I'm scheduled for the surgery Tuesday morning at 7am so I think unless I cancel, I may not be able to get the "upgrade" since there's no way to let them know before then due to the holiday

9. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Hi Chris - I would also vote that you go for it. Eyesight is a primary sense. And you are still young.

Heck, I didn't know you were going bionic on us!:eek: I hope you don't start talking with a robot voice too :D

I don't know your job situation, but maybe if you don't have a job, you could get a part time job for a year to offset the expense.

I have an epiretinal membrane partial separation in one eye. All surgeries are iffy, so I'm waiting until it gets worse. It's just the pits to get old isn't it? I used to have better than perfect eyesight - I could see 40/20 or 20/40. Anyhow I hope you select the improved deal.

One executive I used to work with had one long vision contact in one eye, and a closeup contact in the other eye. I could never get used to that. They were just contacts though.

10. Chris & China (GA)

I've had 14 back surgeries, so working isn't an option. Living in the middle of nowhere like I do, there aren't that many jobs in the first place and the few that are available generally require lifting or standing...things I can't do

11. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that. That is a tough situation. I am envious of you living in the country though - that probably has advantages of being peaceful and more cost effective.

12. Chris & China (GA)

Yeah, that's one of the best things!! We have a lot of Mennonite farms around us too, so there are lots of fresh fruits and veggies straight from the farm. We've had fresh tomatoes here since mid-April because they start them in greenhouses...otherwise it'd be early July before we had tomatoes.

It's also totally safe to walk anywhere at any time....you don't have to worry about being mugged...unless it's by a deer running by!

13. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you are in such a dilemma, Chris. They won't charge you a fee if you cancel on such short notice, will they? Good luck making your decision. I know it's a tough one.

I am also "only" 58. I'm only on my second back surgery (coming in July), but am in the same position as you regarding work abilities, no standing or sitting for long periods and no lifting. Add to that arthritis in my hands so I can barely type anymore and in my feet (three surgeries and another coming in August)so I can barely walk and what is there left? I am very fortunate to have a husband to support me. I wish a very wealthy sugar daddy would come into your life! Or that winning lottery ticket.;)

China, You look mahvelous, dahling!
    :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.