5/29 Billie AMPS 378 +5 194 PMPS 231 +2.5 209

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Deanna & Billie, May 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deanna & Billie

Deanna & Billie Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...-247-leukeran-or-atopica.195686/#post-2192313

Hello! I hope everyone had a peaceful holiday weekend.

Billie continues to do well. Every day is a marvel. When I last posted, I was debating starting Billie on Leukeran or Atopica, after the methylpred that seemed to be helping her liver unfortunately sent her into congestive heart failure.

Her heart is stable now. She had a recheck with her cardiologist, and there was no fluid anywhere. Also, her heart chambers which had been dilated are returning to normal size. Her cardiologist recommended keeping her on furosemide 6.25mg a day for a month or two just to be cautious, and then she can hopefully taper off. Her respirations have been wayyyyy better. Yesterday, I counted 24 while she was napping.

So, that's all good news for her heart! And the question remains of what to do for her liver, with her IM recommending Leukeran. I have it (1.75mg every third day) but haven't started her on it yet. She is doing amazingly well clinically right now, and I'm scared to give it to her, honestly. She is eating well...she gained two ounces...her energy level has improved a lot...she seems more comfortable...no vomiting, no diarrhea. She even hunted her toys last night for the first time in weeks. I'm struggling with the idea of giving such a heavy med to a cat who appears to be doing well. I'm afraid of the side effects. Especially bone marrow suppression/anemia since recent bloodwork shows that she is mildly anemic. But of course, I don't want to not give it to her if she needs it. So, that's something I'm contemplating. Maybe she's doing well as a lasting effect of the methylpred reducing her inflammation.

I did start her on ursodiol. I asked for it after reading that it can be helpful for liver issues with minimal side effects. Her IM was open to it but didn't think it would make a huge difference. So for now, she's on ursodiol, denamarin, Keppra (for focal seizures), Cannapet, CoQ10 (heart support), and her insulin and inhaler of course. I read that we should add taurine if she is going to be on ursodiol long-term. I also read that water soluble vitamin E can be helpful, so I will probably order those too. I guess I'm hoping that maybe all the supplemental meds will make a difference.

Vines to all the kitties and beans needing vines!!

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Billie is doing well right now. I hope you can continue to balance everything for her. Sending prayers.

Deanna & Billie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.