5/7 Billie AMPS 489 (yuck) +6 310 PMPS 401

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Deanna & Billie, May 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deanna & Billie

Deanna & Billie Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...348-6-262-pmps-202-3-326.195163/#post-2184571

Hello hello! Billie lives on! I'm still holding my breath, but she is doing shockingly well. I don't know how she does it, but she does it again! She is barely jaundiced anymore. Maybe even not at all. I have to look really hard to notice any yellow tint to her ears, and even then, I'm not even sure if it's there or I'm imagining it. In any case, that's going in the right direction. I really think the steroid is helping, although I also think her dose was too high based on the muscle weakness and difficulty walking/keeping her balance Saturday night. I did decrease to 1 mg BID, and so far, no more episodes of weakness. Her IM vet can't be bothered to call me despite Billie's two emergencies last week, so I didn't consult with her yet, but from what I researched, she wasn't on it long enough to need a slower taper. Hopefully, this dose keeps the inflammation and jaundice away without too many side effects. If I do notice any increase in jaundice or if it doesnt 100% resolve in a day or two, we'll go back to 2 mg or 1.5.

Billie's appetite and energy level have also been really good. She has been trotting around the apartment and eating up a storm. She has also been drinking a ton which I know is a steroid side effect. Her BG looks gross today, but she's bouncing from a 60 last night. She's still bouncy as ever, although her bounces usually only go into the 300s. I'm sure the steroid has something to do with this too. I was about to increase her dose but then the 60 happened, so we'll see what she does after this bounce clears. (I need to make a current spreadsheet. I got old fashioned and have been keeping a journal.)

I have noticed a couple other things that I think are steroid side effects. She seems a little bloated or pot-bellied, which I read can be a side effect. Her respirations are also still slightly elevated (around 38 resting) although not scary elevated like on Friday. But, I wonder if that increase is steroid related too. I really don't think it's asthma. I need to call Billie's cardiologist tomorrow to get her input.

@Sienne and Gabby (GA) that's a great thought about reaching out to Cornell. Thanks! They're a couple hours away, unfortunately, but the phone consultation is a good idea. Billie's primary vet is absolutely amazing and I loved her ER doctor, but her IM does not seem as invested. I don't think she realizes that she's dealing with royalty :) The more expertise, the merrier. Especially when I think we're seeing unusual med side effects.

I hope everyone has a lovely evening!! :cat:

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Great update for Billie. I'm glad she is doing so much better. Sending prayers.

Deanna & Billie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.