? 5/8 Jai Jai AMPS 502, +3 551, +6 538 ???!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by heyhollis, Aug 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heyhollis

heyhollis Member

***This is the same post that I created under the Lantus (Glargine) / Levemir (Detemir), I desperately need some help right now.

Hi, all. I previously posted a thread for dosing advice for my boy, Jai Jai. Users here are so kind they gave me a lot of valuable advice. This morning, the dose of Jai Jai was increased to 0.75 units (0.25 increment from the previous dose).

However, the BG testing results are a bit little scary......the +3 reading is 551. Normally, the insulin is onset at around +2.........I am little unsure and would like to see if you would spot any irregularity.

I have updated Jai Jai's +6 reading but it is still not good. All black readings today, what is going wrong??? Does anyone have any idea?

I hope someone out there helps me.

Thanks.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The last few days you curves have been essentially flat. Since yo increased the dose the BG have generally been higher. That typically means the dose is too high.
    I would hod the same 0.75 dose a couple of days and see if that helps determine what to do.

Critter Mom and heyhollis like this.
  3. heyhollis

heyhollis Member

Thank you for your reply, Larry. My curve today is also a flat curve, but it is at the exceptionally high points...........You sooth my anxiety and I will hold the dose for at least 6 cycles. Fingers crossed. Hoping his BG starts lowering down soon.

4. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

With lantus some kitties experience NDW - new dose wobble - where they go higher for a couple of cycles after an increase. It typically last less than 24 hours. In jai jai's case the depot also needs to be refilled after the large drop from 1 to .5 and his numbers could also be off from the frequent dose changes recently. As long as jai jai is otherwise well I wouldnt be at all concerned at this point. Just hold the course and enjoy the good nights sleep the higher numbers permit while you can :)

heyhollis likes this.
  5. heyhollis

heyhollis Member

The only concern I have is whether he will be developing any unfavourable health conditions associating with high BGs........I have checked again his ketones today, a negative result though.

I am hoping this will not last long, and I hope to see his improvement in BG figures as well.

It is so much helpful to have so many knowledgeable persons around. You all have given me very prompt support, and I am blessed. Thank you.

6. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I was wondering similar, Larry. Could the series of severe hypos Jai Jai underwent on the higher dose be making him super-sensitive to insulin and that might be at the root of his current high-and-flat responses on the most recent cycles? (The only other question mark I would have is whether something may have affected the viability of the Lantus.)

@Vyktors Mum - Hollis advised in an earlier thread that Jai Jai's clinical signs weren't as good after several cycles on the 0.5 IU Lantus; PU/PD increasing, and increased lethargy. The numbers are very much reflected outwardly.

Mogs

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    heyhollis likes this.
  7. Critter Mom

Hi Hollis,

I know it's discouraging to see the higher numbers, but at least without the wild swings muddying the picture, it should be easier to home in on a good dose for Jai Jai. Fingers and paws crossed that we'll get there very, very soon.

Good job keeping an eye on the ketones. :)

8. heyhollis

heyhollis Member

Morning, Mogs. Very true that I did not expect the higher numbers. I did prepare for the swing but it didn't happen....not knowing whether it is a good thing or not.

How's you today? I do not forget to post the thread over the insulin support group, but it seems that I will get more responses here whenever it comes to an urgent situation. I will keep posting in that forum to draw veteran's attention.

9. heyhollis

heyhollis Member

I am also considering giving him more food tonight, given the fact that his daily intakes do not reach 200 calories. Will it lift up his BG further? I do not have answers right now, I will keep you posted later.

10. Critter Mom

Hi Hollis,

Unfortunately our kitties don't read the text books! :rolleyes:

I'm very tired today (been overdoing things the last few days - really takes it out of me). How are you and your little furry treasure today?

I can't cope with the activity on the Lantus board (PTSD - feel overwhelmed by it), but whenever I'm online I will always keep an eye out for your posts here on the Feline Health board. :)

Sending you some :bighug::bighug:.

Mogs

11. heyhollis

heyhollis Member

Mogs, please get some good rest and stay in good health:bighug::bighug:. It is already very good if you keep an eye on Jai Jai's progress, I am hoping that everything goes smoothly and I need not to call for prompt help in future (Fingers crossed).

Jai Jai had been sleeping all day, and looked very tired. He did not fight me for poking his ears in this afternoon (you know I poked him for several times), which made my testing much much more easier than before.

It was also noticeable that he drank water and pee more frequently. But the good news is, he ate all the additional food I gave him tonight. He will sooner meet the food target and have a daily intake of 200 calories. Yay.

12. Critter Mom

Great to hear that you're getting the food and testing side of things sorted for little Jai Jai, Hollis.

:cat:

All going well, his BG levels will be following suit very soon.

heyhollis likes this.
  13. heyhollis

heyhollis Member

Jai Jai's +5 reading is 466, it falls into the red zone..........Hope that he continues the progress and keeps his figures downward.

Fingers crossed.

14. Critter Mom

Thanks for keeping us updated, Hollis. Here's hoping that Hollis is starting to see a benefit from the dose adjustment.

Fingers crossed here. Paws, too! :)

15. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

Hi there,
    Sorry I didn't notice this thread yesterday, but I wanted to chime in. The very low blood sugars you had previously were in part due to calorie deficit. By increasing the calories, you should start to see a flatter curve, or a slowly sloping curve. This is a good thing, even though his numbers are overall higher. A flatter curve is easier to regulate. After 6 cycles, the goal is to raise the insulin, and hopefully the whole curve will come down. The food is helping to get rid of those steep drops and lows that were preventing you from getting the blood sugar under control.

For others following, he had been getting around 120 calories a day and now closer to 200.

Critter Mom likes this.
  16. heyhollis

heyhollis Member

Hi, Meya. Thank you for your previous advice for the food. I have seen the benefits of adding his food intakes. His numbers are improving. I have some considerations over his BG readings during daytime because I am unable to test him these two days.

I will try testing him in mid-nights but I am pretty sure I will be very tired after that. I need the strength in coping with the challenges.

17. Critter Mom

Hi there, Hollis.

I see Jai Jai was pretty in pink this morning. :) I can relate to the tiredness. It's tough going in the early stages but it does get better as you both develop a routine that works for you. :)

@Meya14 - Thank you for the information on Jai Jai not previously having enough to eat; and also the explanation of the interplay of food and insulin in the regulation process. It's interesting because I was following a cat in Europe who was adopted by a lady who's a member of the German feline diabetic forum. Diane (the lady who rescued him in Bulgaria) had been struggling to regulate him (in very difficult circumstances) but when the German lady adopted him she started giving him a lot more to eat and increased his insulin. Misho's numbers went up at first but his curves did become much smoother; and after a few weeks there was a big improvement in his numbers. Is Jai Jai looking to follow a similar path of progress?

18. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what I think is going to happen. Basically, it's like she needs a little more insulin, but the lows are getting in the way. So feeding more in general, or changing meal times to correspond with lows can help flatten everything out. In humans we call these people "brittle diabetics". Other things can cause this as well, but we look at food too. Our doctors would have us add calories/carbs at certain meals instead of giving smaller doses of insulin if possible. Unfortunately, in people, it usually happens in dementia patients who aren't eating well.

Critter Mom likes this.
  19. Critter Mom

I've heard the term "brittle diabetic" before. Thanks for explaining the type of strategies used in managing it, Meya. :)

20. heyhollis

heyhollis Member

Hi, @Meya14 and @Critter Mom. I just want to let you know that Jai Jai is now on 1 IU of Lantus. He was doing well on the first day (8/8).

Today, we have to deal with another problem. It is about his loose stool, my hubby said that he passed some soft poo yesterday, and I have just bought the psyllium husk, hoping that Jai Jai will be doing fine with this.

How's Max and Saoirse? I hope they stay in good health with lots of purrr. Lots of hugs and blessings to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.