6/11: Cyn & Cosmo: oldtimer Caturday report

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Cyn and Cosmo, Jun 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyn and Cosmo

Cyn and Cosmo Member

Hi everyone,
    Very long time, no visit. I think after Cosmo crossed the rainbow bridge, there was a huge barrage of LL kitties going to keep him company. I suppose that should comfort me some, but it just made me incredibly sad and I had to stay away for awhile. I have been thinking of all of you and your furries though.

In the meantime, Cosmo's littermate brother Danger has been sorta kinda diagnosed with GI lymphoma or severe IBD due to symptoms and results of U/S. He's on methylpred and leukeran. He's happy, which is all I care about.

I still miss Cosmo terribly. It's no longer with the gut-wrenching pain and uncontrollable tears, but they're not exactly hard to summon up, either. What I wouldn't give to be able to hold him one more time, kiss his little head, or to have him touching my leg with his paw. Danger has been a great comfort to me and I treasure every day we have together.

This past Thursday, we had our last vet visit with Dr B at Angell Memorial. I will miss him terribly. We waited in the cat waiting area, which is next to their adoption center. There was a litter of 5 black kittens and their black mamma. Oh. Mah. Guh. They were so stinking cute and adorable and energetic and entertaining. They all had extra toes and such personality. Seeing them made me think that I'll be ok to adopt more black kitties when the time is right.

When we went to the back and Dr B came into the room, he said "Don't go!!! Stay!!" and he proceeded to tell the tech and extern about our history together and how much he enjoyed the fact that I'm an informed cat owner. A large part of why I love having him as a vet is because he doesn't mind that I do my own research and question treatment options. And that he's willing to admit when he doesn't know something. We also had a huge convo about my long term career plans, as if I haven't been asked that enough lately. Ha. He even told me to forward him the websites of any veterinarians that I am considering using in Chicago so that he could check them out for me. And that of course he'd be consulting with them. In the meantime, he'll call in scripts for me.
    Sigh. We settled on a treatment course for Danger, then hugged goodbye. I cried a bit in the car, not because of Dr B (even though I do love him), but because I associate so many memories of Cosmo with Dr B and Angell. And Boston, I think. I know i"m not leaving him behind, but there's something about moving to a new city and apartment for the first time in my adult life where I will not have both Danger and Cosmo. A place that I can't sit and remember being with Cosmo.

In non-kitty related news, I defended my dissertation proposal (finally) at the beginning of the month. And, as you could probably tell from this post, I am moving in a few short days. I'll be joining a few other LLers in Chicago. I "matched" to my internship out there and look forward to what should be my last year as a doctoral student. I hope after I get settled in Chicago, that I can reconnect with oldtimers here, as well as provide some support for newbies in LL.

2. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

(((Cyn))) I saw your name and was excited. Long time no see ole friend. We miss Cosmo very much, too.
    I hope Danger is there for you for a very long time, and helps to comfort you in your times of sadness.

3. Cyn and Cosmo

Cyn and Cosmo Member

Hi Dyana!! Thanks for your kind words. It wasn't supposed to be a huge sad post, more an update, but it seems i had some things to say. Some good stuff, some sad stuff.

Danger is sitting right here, watching the screen, and splattering his happy drool all over my laptop. :lol:

4. Barbara and tuffy

Barbara and tuffy Well-Known Member

It's great to see you post. Congratulation on your move. I hope you can return to LL in the near future. So many of the 'oldtimers' are missing.

You post was sad but a sadness we all suffer on the loss of one of our 'special furbabies' but it also included hope. I'm glad your pain is easing. You and Cosmo went through so much and you provided him with so much care and love it had to create a void. Yes, we lost a few around the time we lost Cosmo. It is so very hard. When one goes GA, I remember all the ones I have lost and the pain returns. I try and console myself with the fact that we provided all we could to help them and they returned love.

Good luck in your new home. Prayers, white light, healing vines and good thoughts for Danger. Safe trip. HUGS Cyn.

5. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Cyn,
    We all grieve for our kitties who have gone ahead, no matter how many days and months and years have passed, and that is good because they are still a part of us and will always be. We wish you much success in Chicago, finishing your dissertation, getting settled in a new job, etc. Keep in touch. We have a new condo here in LL called "Loose Lips". Anyone can open it and we chat about OT subjects as well as about the kitties.
    Positive thoughts for Danger,

Ella & Rusty

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

As sad as Cyn is to be leaving Boston and Dr. B, she's going to be my neighbor. Literally. Cyn is moving about 2 blocks from where I live. She's met Gabby and Gizmo -- and me, in the flesh, not just virtually!! So, she's sad but I'm excited!!

And, since I had a vet visit recently, I mentioned to my vet that Cyn may be in touch. Much like Dr. B, she understands that I read and question and can and do do research any medication or procedure she suggests. (And what can be wrong with an all female, feline only veterinary practice?)

7. Cyn and Cosmo

Cyn and Cosmo Member

Ha ha ha. You warned your vet that I was going to call AND be a pain in the ass? I'm sure she'll be so excited to hear from me. I'm VERY excited to leave Boston and move to Chicago. Mostly. Almost the only thing I'm sad about is that I'm closing the door on the last place I lived with my Cosmo.

@Ella- Thanks for your support and well wishes, and the info about this new condo thing. I'll check that out!

@ Barbara- Yes, so very tough when we lose one. And you're right, I was so very lucky that he was mine and I was his.

PS. Did everyone know that only about 10% of vets do an internship or residency? Most of them go straight from graduation to private practice. I did not know this!!!

8. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

HI CYN!!!!!!

Happy to see you!

It sounds like exciting things are happening. I know you're not that sad to leave Boston, and I hope Chicago will be a good fit. Don't worry about Cosmo, he will go with you. My Pi-kitty (GA) has never lived in this house with me, but I have seen and felt him here.

Stay in touch!

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

You can't be any more of a PITA than I am. Remember, I have access to a medical/vet library system and will call the U of IL vet school when I have questions.

10. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

You can't be any more of a PITA than I am. Remember, I have access to a medical/vet library system and will call the U of IL vet school when I have questions.

11. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Hey Cyn, it sure is great to see you here! What an exciting new chapter in your life with this move to Chicago. It is understandable that leaving Boston will be bittersweet because of the time spent there with Cosmo. ((((Hugs)))))

I hope you can find time to visit here a lot. I always appreciated your advice when I was a newbie and it will be awesome to 'see' you more often. Keep us updated and since you'll be in the neighborhood, you can pop in on Sienne and make sure she's behaving, hahahaha!!

12. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

((Cyn)) Dr. B is such a great vet. I referred some peple to him recently.

Congrats on your internship :RAHCAT Hope everyting goes well for you in Chicago :D

13. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Cyn, how great to see you!! I know what you mean now about the devastation that follows when your furbaby goes GA-- I just lost my civvie, Copper a month ago (Moonie's brother) and painted the whole inside of my house as I thought a change might help..It didnt, but you know I believe that Love continues on even after death..Still feeling that gut wrenching sadness, maybe a little less than the first few weeks..He is around me so much!
    I have told Moonie she cannot ever leave me, and she just looks at me like OK Ma!

Life is a series of Passages from one era of your life to the next, so look to the future, try not to look back, as you have such good things ahead of you! Moving to a place where you already have friends is such an immediate plus! You even have a vet waiting!!
    Cosmo will ALWAYS be with you--My first real visit from my GA dog Pumpkin, was at my Aunt's house in Florida..She came to me in a vivid dream, so real I knew it was her--Spirits are not hampered by time or space & can travel freely.-You are Cosmo's home..
    Please come by to see us--Your great knowledge & experience is needed here In LL--
    Great to see you--please visit-Hugs from us!

14. Sherry & Zoe (GA)

Sherry & Zoe (GA) Well-Known Member

Cyn!! How nice to see you.....have missed you! I still think of Cosmo and his handsome pirate face ;-) . Congratulations on defending your dissertation and the move to Chicago....the start of an exciting new adventure. Don't be a stranger to LL....we can all benefit from your knowledge. Ha ha on the PITA kitty owners...aren't we all PITA's when it comes to our fur babies? Best of Luck!

15. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Hi Cyn,
    Thanks for posting your update. It made me cry and smile all at the same time. It says so much about passages, and changes, and loss and new beginnings. Many of these things are on my mind, though I am not at such an exciting place in my life as you are. I am wishing you all of the best in your future studies. You are so lucky to have connected with Sienne in Chicago. Please check in with us from time to time, and let us know how you and Danger are doing, and if you have any new black kitties in your lives. I miss seeing you around here, and I always love it when old friends check in.
    Take care.

16. Cyn and Cosmo

Cyn and Cosmo Member

oh, Sherry. How I wish I had defended the entire dissertation. I'm afraid all I've done so far is earn the right to DO the research required to DO the dissertation, aka passed my proposal hearing. (Proposal is the first three chapters, then you go off and collect your data, do your analyses, write the last 2 chapters. THEN you can defend the entire thing. At least, at my school, this is how it's set up.) Cosmo's sweet little pirate face is my home screen on my phone, and it never fails to make me smile.

LOL @ everyone. Yeah, Dr B mentioned something like "she knows everything! I mean, everything! She even tells me when I'm wrong!" He's great.

@ Cheryl - you're right. I"m sure I won't be a bigger PITA than you are. :lol: That's the thing about good/great vets. They don't mind, in fact, they LIKE it when the pet owners are informed, inquisitive, and involved.

@ Squeem3 - you refer ppl to him? I tell ppl about how much I love him, but that unless they have a super sick kitty, they prolly don't need him. Plus, I had been under the impression that he doesn't really take 'new' clients unless they come through the ER or, like us, continues care for the civvies of the original patients. I tell all my cat friends, I hope you never need him, but if you do, go to Angell and ask for Dr B!!

@ Roni - I am excited to be moving on!! I look forward to not being a student. It's just a bit bittersweet, is all.

@CD - I'll be avoiding my diss, so I'm sure i'll be here tons!! And, I'll keep an eye out on Sienne. She's literally two blocks away. I'll prolly camp out on her door to solicit advice on the diss anyway. (ha ha ha! how's that for a threat?)

@ Libby - i've missed you too. Hope your health has improved and that Jasmine et al are doing well. We need to have a pool (ha! I typed 'poop' first, in honor of Miriam!) party soon! Maybe after I get to Chicago.

17. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Miriam and Putty (GA) Well-Known Member

Libby - i've missed you too. Hope your health has improved and that Jasmine et al are doing well. We need to have a pool (ha! I typed 'poop' first, in honor of Miriam!) party soon! Maybe after I get to Chicago

Hi Cyn.....first....what did I miss. Did I have a typo that I don't remember?? Why "poop" in honor of me. I don't think I have ever been honored so dearly.... :lol:

Second...when are you leaving. I hope somehow we can squeeze in one hour for lunch or something since we tried (you tried harder) to meet all this time and could never quite make it work.

I know losing Cosmo has been so hard on you and I am glad to hear that you are doing a little better. I know there are some lucky kitty's out there just waiting for you.

18. Cyn and Cosmo

Cyn and Cosmo Member

Hmm. I know SOMEONE in LL pooped in the pool. I thought it was you. (these typos are so funny. I totally typed poop instead of pool earlier, so I'm guessing that's what happened to whomever it was).

I'm leaving this Thursday! My schedule is pretty packed b/c my stuff is not. LOL. The movers are coming on Wednesday, eek! Can you meet me up here on Tuesday for lunch? We could do the soup factory maybe? (PM me!)

19. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

It was probably Joan :lol:

Hey, you edited your post after I responded to you the first time.
    I hope your move to Chicago goes real smooth. And, I hope you get a chance to have lunch with Miriam before you leave.
    You are a lucky dawg to get to be neighbors with Sienne! and close to other Chicago LLanders!

Best of luck in your last year as a doctoral student.
    "See" you soon, I hope. Cosmo will still be with you. Don't you worry about that.

20. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Squsihy got his first apointment with Dr. B with no questions asked :D We did see two other vets there prior to Dr. B so maybe we weren't really "new". Both civies see Br. B, too. Well, Leroy so far anyways. Emma has only seen Dr. W but ony because I couldn't wait a couple weeks to see Dr. B for a potentially serious tummy issue. I emailed Dr. B ahead of Leroy's first visit to let him know that I was bringing the new kitten Squishy sent me in to see him for a rabies shot :D Dr. B really doesn't mind me having him be the vet for the civies :smile:

The people I referred have newly DXd diabetics and aren't happy with their current vets. I suggested they get a second opinion from Dr. B.

I've always had a good experience with the Angell interns and residents :D Loved the two exotic residents back when I had gerbils, especially Dr. M :D Dr. B's resident Dr. P was great with Squishy when he was sick in the CCU and was there with him when he went to the Bridge.

Wow! That's so soon :eek: Hope the move goes smoothly for you and Danger doesn't get too stressed out. When does your internship start?

21. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

Hi, Cyn!

best of luck on the move...and how cool that you'll be close to Sienne!!

safe travel, and knock 'em out on the internship!

celi

22. Rocket & his Mom

Rocket & his Mom Well-Known Member

hi Cyn and Danger....

i know you miss Cosmo sooo much....and rightfully so....i'd say...take lots of pics of your place and one day you can look back at the pics and say "Cosmo and I" or "Cosmo and Danger" and this way your memories will be forever of that home you three had....

i hope Danger is with you a long long time.....

moving to a new city can be scary and leaving your place behind with soooo many memories can be very sad....but taking the pics perhaps will ease some of that....not sure if that will help but it's worth a try....

do keep in touch and glad to know you and Sienne will neighbours....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.