? 6/11 Jag: How to dose today? Yesterday PM nadir 71

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by chrisb3127, Jun 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrisb3127

chrisb3127 Member

Jag is one tricky cat! He's been hitting a lot of blues and yellows lately, especially post-DKA after Memorial Day weekend.

On Sunday, his PMPS was 138, so I still shot 3U like normal. Then, he dropped every hour until he bottomed out at 71 at +5. Was getting worried about going too close to hypo numbers, but he didn't go that low.

How should I handle this morning's shot? It looks like he'll be back in the low 100s once it's time for the dose.

For background, I am still feeding him on my own via syringe. He was on Cerenia, Zofran, and occasional Pepcid too. The vet wanted me to try this weekend without using the refilled scripts to see how he acts off them. He did vomit Sunday night, but it was only a very small amount. (Happened about an hour after he got syringe fed)

Overall, he seems more alert to me. Eyes are opened wider, seems like he may be a little better, but not 100% sure yet. Also seems like he didn't hang out at the water fountain as much. (Was drinking nonstop and peeing every 2 hours -- this decreased a little bit Sunday)

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Great job handling those greens last night. Looks like you've also done a great job on those ketones. I am glad he's feeling better.

If you can keep monitoring like you have lately, I would suggest holding the dose. I don't know if you are following TR or SLGS, but with recent DKA, it would be good to keep the dose if you can. The TR reduction point, and number where we give high carb food is 50, so Jag was safe last night.

chrisb3127 likes this.
  3. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

chrisb3127 likes this.
  4. chrisb3127

chrisb3127 Member

Thanks for the replies @Wendy&Neko and @JoyBee&Ravan !

Looks like the culprit was not enough food. I stalled a little bit, and fed him first. After an hour he rose to 190, so I did 3U like normal. I was very nervous seeing the 70/80s and didn't want to put him into a hypo state.

I tried the Entyce appy stimulant today. Within 15 minutes, he walked over to the food bowl and ate! Looks like it works, but have to do some research to see if this lasts all day, or just for the first few hours. Goal is to get him eating independently again, but at the same time I need him to put on some weight.

Good info on the Slippery Elm. I was reading about this over the weekend. I think I will get some and try it. I want to avoid using prescriptions if I can, since he was on up to 3 for stomach upset.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Great news on him finally eating some! The slippery elm should be given at least two hours away from any other medications, as it limits absorption.

Your preshot tonight will also be 1 hour later. You can move back in time 1/2 hour once a day, or 15 minutes a shot. On the spreadsheet, put something like 3.0 @+13 on the units column, so we know you delayed an hour.

6. JoyBee&Ravan

I'm so glad you're going to try the slippery Elm. I'll be watching to hear if you think it helps. Twice a day seems to work best. I order it from Amazon ( it's a lot cheaper than the Big Pharma drugs the Vet sells you!)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0028D622W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1

I don't know where you're located but Walmart has "Earth's Best "Chicken Baby food. It's organic & has only chicken & water in it. I also use distilled water.I figure it can't get any purer.

When you mix it in the baby food it will get too thick so you'll need to add some water.

I sure hope it helps.

chrisb3127 likes this.
  7. chrisb3127

chrisb3127 Member

@JoyBee&Ravan thanks for the link! How much do you give at a time of the slippery elm?

Jag lost another few ounces today. Was hovering around 17lb 10-14oz. Today he's 17lb 7.7oz. :( Are there any tips to getting weight put on a cat safely?

8. JoyBee&Ravan

I Use 1/2 capsule 2 X a day. So far that works for all my cats.

My cats were raised on a raw meat diet for 15 yrs. Last year 2 of them totally refused the raw meat. I started
    cooking it a bit & that was OK for a while then they didn't eat that,so i started buying Premium canned food.

Ravan was diagnosed with Diabetes last January. For a while he just stopped eating & I syringe fed him. He lost weight & started looking skinny. The people on this forum suggested Fancy Feast. I did not want to feed him that . I felt it 's just garbage.
    I finally gave in & bought a few cans ( the Low carb ones),thinking he'll never eat it. To my amazement he gobbled it up! So after that he was eating mostly Fancy Feast & other canned food. He gained his weight back. ( I figure they must be putting Kitty Crack in it!) I never saw him eat like that.

Now he's back to eating mostly his raw diet & he still eats canned food including FF (Fancy Feast) I've always fed my cats several times a day. Now with the diabetes he gets very hungry at times & I'll feed him whenever he wants (even 2 am & again at 5:30 am) I'm up a lot testing him during the nite.

Have you checked the Main forum Yellow sticky note on Feline Health?
    Dr. Pierson has a food list of the Low Carb canned food. I copied it & when I pick up food I only buy the ones she suggests.

I'll be checking to see if the Slippery Elm helps. Best of Luck.

Jag looks like my Ravan. Ravan has always weighed about 14 lbs.He's never been overweight.

9. JoyBee&Ravan

Are you following the TR or the SLGS method? When you decide, put it in your info so the people here advising you know.

10. JoyBee&Ravan

Chris, you said you're giving Jag Entyce for his appetite? Did your vet prescribe it? i just googled it & here's some of what it said. Sometimes even the stuff the vet recommends can have a reaction on "your" cat. I try real hard not to take any meds myself or to give them to my cats.I've had some really bad outcomes from stuff the Vet recommended.
    (that's just me I know a lot of people here would disagree with me)

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/jvp.12459

Note the reaction some cats had from Entyce. Entyce was meant for DOGS the study done on cats was only 10 or 15 cats!

Sporadic increases in serum and urine glucose were observed in capromorelinā€treated cats during both studies. Based on the sporadic incidences of elevated glucose in Study 1, it was unclear whether the elevated glucose results were secondary to stress or represented persistent hyperglycaemia (Feldhahn, Rand, & Kinnaird, 1999; Kojima et al., 2000; Rand,

It is unknown whether the statistically significant increase in liver weight observed with capromorelin treatment is clinically significant

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.