? 6/14 SHEBA AMPS 77 dosing question please. +4 76; +5 52; + 6.5 86; +8 96; PMPS 248

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Bron and Sheba (GA), Jun 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Yesterday
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...8-3-65-3-5-43-4-72-5-50-6-5-68-7-5-52.139371/

Last night Sheba surfed in the low greens all night. I took a +3 before going to bed and she was 65, gave her honey, and that was the end of thoughts of bed for the time being! +3.5 she had dropped further to 43 so more honey. In all I gave her honey 5 times (plus a bit of ordinary food) to keep her from dropping too far. At +8.5 she was 92 so I thought she was on the way up so went to sleep for the rest of the night (3 hours:blackeye:).

AMPS 77
    Not sure what she did with the rest of the night's numbers. But she obviously didn't go up!

So this morning, because of last night's very strong cycle, AMPS 77 and the fact she dropped to 43 after having honey, and dropped back again to 50 and 52 after honey I gave her a reduction of 0.25 units.
    My question is: did I do the right thing? If you think I should have stayed with the same dose I will go back up. Your thoughts would be appreciated thanks.

I am minding my daughter's two labradoodle dogs for the weekend as they have gone away. The dogs have never seem a cat before so are mesmerised with Sheba. I did wonder how Sheba would react with them in the laundry, which is on plain view of the kitchen, family room area. She is very used to dogs being here but hasn't seen these two before. Well she didn't bat an eyelid when they came in, barked at her and whined. When she went to the LB which is in a little room near the laundry, they barked at her. She just walked past and gave them the evil eye and hissed loudly and went about her business. On the way out she did the same thing.

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

For a long term diabetic, generally a drop below 40 qualifies for a reduction. However, if you are working hard to get numbers up, you need to use your judgement. It sounds like Sheba was tired of the dose so reducing made sense.

FWIW, I use Karo with Gabby to bring numbers up. I usually give a drop or two with LC food. The food may help to offset the quick reaction to the syrup. It may be why you had to work so hard -- the honey wore off quickly. I'd suggest experimenting with using a small amount of LC + honey and see if that gives you a little more duration than the honey alone.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Thanks Sienne.
    I was aware I needed to drop below 40 for a reduction, it was more the strength of the cycle and the fact she kept dropping back low that made me want the reduction. I will try the LC with the honey next time. I did give her a bit of food with the honey but will try more of the food.
    It was you who gave me the idea of honey to bring up the numbers when they drop low and it has worked really well with her and if you look in her SS, it was when I started to use the honey that I got ahead of the fast drops and bounces and into much better numbers.......so thank you!!! @Sienne and Gabby

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I think I would have probably taken the reduction too Bron, just because you had to work so hard to keep her above 50

You can always go back up again if you have to, but maybe Sheba's back to earning (and holding) her reductions again!!

Way to go Sheba! You show doz droolers exactly who's in charge! Hiss at em again!! ~China

5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

It sounds like Sheba needed the reducie. I hope she surfs safe for you.

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Thanks Chris and Carla.........yes I can always go back up if this fails......these kitties love to keep us on our toes and out of our beds at night!

The cats in this household have always been in charge when it comes to droolers. The droolers only ever try Challenging once and after the scratch on the nose, they know who is in charge:joyful:

I showed doz droolers who was in charge China ...........just give dem de evil eye, puff up my fur and hiss and dey fink I am a scary monster!~~~Sheba

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  7. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

I would have taken it too, even if she didn't quite earn it officially you did after a night like that! You tell them Droolers Sheba :)

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I let the droolers out into the back yard....our back area is higher further back, and we have a second fenced yard there where the chickens are. I heard a squawking noise and saw Zalia streaking across the yard in pursuit of a terrified chicken. She had found a tiny hole in the fence and got through. Feathers everywhere........chickens all in a bunch wondering what hit them....and two dogs back in the laundry.

9. suki & crystal (GA)

suki & crystal (GA) Well-Known Member

Another exciting sleepless night for you Bron but great numbers for Sheba. We know who is in control there with the dogs, sound a naughty twosome. Love Labradoddles, Bolly looks a bit like one, all wild black curly fur. Hope the chickens have calmed down after being chased.

10. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

My sister has chickens, and one of her yellow labs can't help himself - when he sees them he has to chase them! So she locks him in the house when she goes out to feed them and change their water, and takes his brother, as he knows how to behave properly. Needless to say, there are some hurt feelings! You'd think he'd learn, but nooooo.

I, like everyone else, don't blame you a bit for reducing. Sheba is a rather unique kitty, and it looks like this was her way of saying she was done with that dose! Time will tell if she was fibbing or not. Meanwhile, you need some sleep!

11. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bolly sounds lovely. These two are chocolate and the other caramel. Chickens are now fine...the dogs have gone home. One with a good report card and the other with a fail on it!:joyful: They are coming to stay for a week in a couple of weeks time when the family go skiing. Not sure quite how I feel about it. I usually just leave them at home and go over twice a day but with the shorter days thought I would have them here.

suki & crystal (GA) likes this.
  12. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Dogs just like to chase chickens because they run away I am sure.
    Yes, I do need sleep.. Some days I can snatch an hour during the day but other days, the phone keeps ringing and people come to the door etc. but I do love those little green numbers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.