? 6/17 Feeding the curve advice, please.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by J.J. and Phoebe Squeak, Jun 17, 2019.

1. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

J.J. and Phoebe Squeak Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I am trying to learn more about feeding the curve and I have a question. I understand that you intervene with food to help slow down a fast, steep drop, but I am unclear about the timing.
    For instance, last night Phoebe Squeak’s PMPS number was 456.
    I increased her dose by .25 and it was clear early in the cycle that she was dropping fast. I wasn’t sure if I should try to slow her down right away or wait until she got into blue or even green numbers before I tried to slow things down. I knew the lower she got the greater the chance of a bounce but I also wanted to get her out of high numbers.
    As you can see from her SS I decided to give her some low and medium carb food at +2.75 when she was at 175, and then more med carb food at +3 when she hit 81.
    As predicted, she bounced. I would appreciate any advice on what I could have done better in terms of feeding the curve. This is all still new to me.Thanks very much.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I would have started trying to slow down that drop at +1....dropping almost 100 points so early in the cycle is a big red flag.

In a normal Lantus cycle, the +1 is usually a little higher than the PS (due to being recently fed)...then the +2 is usually about the same as the PS, so any time you see a big drop like that, trying to slow that drop down quickly is the right thing to do.

Dropping that much so quickly, I would have given a small amount of MC at +1 to see if it would slow/stop her from dropping another 100 points in an hour.

3. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

Thank you so much. So, if I understand you correctly -- even if she stopped dropping at yellow because I gave med carb food at +1, that's better than such a big drop into blue or green. Is that right?

Tomlin likes this.
  4. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

@ Chris. Thank you...that helps knowing what the +1 & +2 usually are with Lantus. We were using Vetsulin & like clockwork my boy would look like he was at an eating contest trying to manage his own drop :eek:. I didn't do a ton of BGs but I know his eating patterns extremely well due to his chronic pancreatitis & boy did they change with that drug.

Now my struggle is going to be finding something with carbs he will touch. He's fussy & doesn't eat a variation of foods.

5. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

Hey Amy, Glad we both learned something. Chris has helped me a ton! Good person to follow if you ask me.
    I think you have to use the whole name when you want to tag someone. Instead of @Chris, you need to write @Chris & China (GA) And to tag you, I'd use @Amy47. Hope that helps.
    And no space between the @ and the name.:)

6. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Hey :)! Ah! Will make sure I do that moving forward...very helpful!

7. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

Glad it helps. I'm still learning all this stuff too. Don't know if you saw my edit, but you don't want a space between the @ and the name.

8. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

I didn't see that! Thank you :)

9. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

That's a good question you had about feeding the curve! There's not much info on it and it's always good to know how! :) Chris has so much knowledge!

10. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

11. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yeah....you want a slower drop....Bounces happen when 1. they drop too low, 2. they drop too quickly and 3. they drop into a number their body isn't used to anymore (or any combination of all 3)

But generally, if they're dropping that fast, they're going to continue to drop for awhile so the chances of "putting the brakes on" (stopping at yellow) that early in the cycle is remote.....so you just want to slow it down some

12. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

13. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

Got it.Thank you so much.