6/20 Luna - AMPS 340, +3 278, +6 230, PMPS 214, +3 283

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by For_Luna, Jun 20, 2019.

1. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

Another high morning. Looking like we need to increase to 1.25u, but we need to go to a wedding this weekend and we're using a pet sitter for the first time to give insulin. The sitter will be giving Luna her shot Saturday night and Sunday morning.

So, do we wait until we get back to increase? We're going to tell the sitter to just give her 0.5u since she won't be able to test.

And when we get back, do we give the regular dose or gradually work our way back up?

Thanks

2. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

If it were me I would not increase till u get back since no testing will be done, others will weigh in

For_Luna likes this.
  3. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

Hi Dan!

I wouldn’t increase until you get back, especially when your pet sitter can’t test :)

Since you’re having higher numbers on 1u, I wonder if you need to decrease to 0.5u while you’re away, you might be able to stay at 1u or to be a little more safe maybe 0.75u?

I’ve only done a reduced dose while away once but I did go back right to the normal dose when I came back so I’d say as long as you can be there to monitor it should be ok to go for the increase... it’s only 1 night.

That being said, I am not super experienced at dosing so keep that in mind ;)

Have a great day!

Bellasmom and For_Luna like this.
  4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I would not increase the dose since the petsitter will not be testing. If you want to be safe you can drop the dose to 0.75, or 0.5 units if you are more comfortable with that. You can make up a sample syringe with colored liquid like tea in it for the petsitter to compare the dose to. When you get back you would go right back to the 1.0 units unless you get low numbers for some reason. You should start the reduced dose tomorrow morning to give the depot time to drain.

5. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

Thanks. I'm thinking .5u since this is our first time having someone else give the insulin, and I'd rather not have to worry about her.

This is just a test for the main event. We'll be gone for 3 days around the 4th of July (booked and paid for before DX). My parents are going to stay to at the house to keep an eye on Luna, so maybe we can try something a little closer to the normal dose then. Still going to have the sitter stop by to give the insulin.

6. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi Dan, since her numbers are high and she needs an increase , I would not reduce any while you’re gone and especially not down to .50. Increases and decreases should be in increments of .25. Unless you think she won’t eat for your pet sitter, I would just leave her at the present dose unless prior to you leaving she earns a reduction on her own, but I don’t think that will happen.

Wait till you return to give her the increase since there will be no testing for a few cycles.

For_Luna, Tomlin and AmandaE like this.
  7. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

We finally have some movement. +3 278.

8. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Love the pic! I agree with Bobbie, Luna's numbers are pretty high and the depot is well established for this dose. If possible I would leave food out and leave the dose.

For_Luna and Bobbie And Bubba like this.
  9. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

We're still going down. +6 230.
    Still not great, but good to see some downward movement after the last 3 days

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  10. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

214 PMPS. Been dropping all day. This might be a 3AM test kind of night.

11. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Get a +2. If that is same or lower than the pre shot number, some more testing could be necessary. Let your monitor guide you as too how long you need to test.

For_Luna likes this.
  12. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

Yeah, I normally get one before bed. Usually +2.5, 3. She dropped 100 pts in 3 hours once, so I knew I was in for a long night. Freaked out and intervened when she hit 50 around 4am.