6/21 Luna - AMPS 312, +6 309, PMPS 374

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by For_Luna, Jun 21, 2019.

1. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

Had some good movement yesterday and was hoping to wake up to a better number. We'll see how today goes

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  2. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

Luna! Slide down for your mom! She’s being very patient with you right now!!

When I first started here someone told me about how the AMPS is usually slower to lower than the PMPS. I’m glad they did because like Luna, Mowgli has higher AMPS readings, I used to feel like we were going no where :)

Have a great day :)

3. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

Cat dad :cool: , but I'll pass that along to Luna.

I get discouraged often, but I need to remember we started in the 600s on 2u and now we're getting consistent 200-300s on 1u. It's those days in the 100s or below that makes me think we're progressing faster than we are. Have to look a the bigger picture.

Tomlin likes this.
  4. AmandaE

Omg Dan, I’m so sorry!! What a total brain fart! Seriously!! Mass apologies :oops::oops::oops:

It’s so important to look at the big picture! When you see how far you’ve come you have to feel a little better about how Luna is doing. And I think you really are progressing rapidly!

I often have a hard time reconciling how quickly I thought Mowgli might go OTJ compared to what actually is happening. Especially because when I started so many cats were going OTJ. I was so discouraged, but I mean... I had only been at it a month :p Slowly I have come to accept the truth of “it’s not a sprint it’s a marathon” and have started making plans for how to deal with Mowgli come vacation time ... that is a real sign of acceptance.

Again so sorry about referring to you as a cat mom:facepalm:

Luna! Slide down for your dad!! :facepalm::oops::cat:

For_Luna and Tomlin like this.
  5. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

@AmandaE, @For_Luna,

I'm not sure if it helps, but years ago, before one of what then would became multiple surgeries (me not T), a really brilliant PA gave me some advice that stuck with me over the years & has helped significantly through my recoveries & also with T's issues.....don't base anything on a specific day, because there will be days you feel like you are making huge strides & moving on & then the next day is not good & you mistake it as you are going backwards...very much like a rollercoaster ride with ups & downs. He said to instead look at the trends over a greater period of time for a more accurate picture of how things are going. Otherwise, you react to what seems like a slip backwards & instead its just a very normal part of the recovery process. Obviously, the exception is if theres something really going off the track!

Just like ECID, we are all different, but personally, I had to check myself & made the decision to stop focusing on colors every single check & interpreting them as a move forward or backward & instead look at them as simply A/one piece of a much larger puzzle. Not forward, not backward, just a piece of information to add to the rest so that when its time & we have ALL the pieces or at least more of the pieces, we then are able to look at the week & decide what action or maybe inaction needs to happen :).

6. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

Thanks. I think we're getting hung up, selfishly, on getting to remission. We were used to a set it and forget it cat and diabetes changed things overnight.
    If anything good comes of this whole thing, I think we're better cat parents now and despite still pretty high numbers, Luna is (or seems) a lot healthier.

AmandaE likes this.
  7. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Completely understandable! It's definitely something to adjust to & I can relate to the desire to just want to fix it... & the sooner the better :). I love to hear that Luna seems healthier-- that is so important. You guys are going to get there. You are doing all the right things!

AmandaE and For_Luna like this.
  8. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Good point on looking at the trend. The 5P's are just as important as the numbers. Luna will find her magic dose soon and then watch out!

Bellasmom, Tomlin and For_Luna like this.
  9. AmandaE

THIS. I totally relate to your entire statement. I also have a little baggage I ought to throw away which is that, actually Mowgli was living with my mom across the country when he was diagnosed (he's still my & my sisters cat, from university). My family back home really couldn't understand why I didn't want to get him put down: "he's just a cat, he's lived a good life, he's 12 years old, he won't survive the flight out" serious judgement about taking care of him even though it didn't directly affect them.

To me it was worth it to try, and know that I had tried everything I could to get him better, he's my cat and my responsibility, I don't have kids and I can afford it. So I flew him, and my older sister out (bonus I get a week long visit with my sister) and here we are. My baggage is that I want him to go into remission so I can just say... I knew it was worth it, I knew he had a lot of years left in him, I was right. haha... I don't think my family can see that point of view unless they see him in remission. A situation where I give him insulin twice a day is not a success to them and I will still get judgement for not deciding to euthanize him when I bring him home for our two week vacation in August, at this point more like a joking snide comment type of judgement.

When I'm honest with myself, yes I want him in remission, but I honestly don't mind getting up a little earlier to give him a shot in the morning and realistically my life hasn't been impacted negatively by this in any way, I am happy if he is living with healthy BG levels even if it means increased cost of food and med supplies. I need to leave the family opinion part behind, I'm glad at least that they respected that it is my choice.

Sorry to kind of dump on your condo but, the way you wrote that statement SO struck a chord with me, you've worded it so well and I totally relate. Now to work on letting go ...

Tomlin likes this.
  10. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

You rock:p! GOOD for you for getting on the plane & getting Mowgali :):bighug:! Family is "fun" sometimes...:banghead::arghh:! I'm glad they respected your choice & didn't do anything to your Mowgli. Let them joke, judge, snide;). Thats all about THEIR issues & it isn't about you in any way. Even if you get Mowgali into remission, they most likely will STILL have something to say about it. Generally people who judge & take digs at people vs. being supportive are unhappy or weak in some area(s) of their life (like being able to manage an ill person or pet). Rather then spending the time taking a good look at themselves & working on that, they judge others & try to bring them down to feel better about themselves. Thats MUCH easier than doing a little soul searching & making some changes. Be happy, love yourself & Mowgali & don't allow others, whether its family or friends, to bring you down:).

AmandaE likes this.
  11. AmandaE

Totally! it was my sister who flew out with him actually, its hard not to have support but I'm from a rural area so i'm not surprised they have the opinions they do. A 'Pet" means something different to them. I would have a very hard time looking at myself in the mirror if I didn't at least try to get Mowgli healthy :) I don't regret a thing ;)

Also, thanks :)

12. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

You have support...HERE..& I'm sure your sister & friends :). Sometimes you find the most love & support outside your family...would be nice if you had that too, but its definitely not uncommon that they are a source of stress vs support in times of need :(! You aren't alone when it comes to that!

AmandaE likes this.
  13. AmandaE

Definitely! And I remind other members of it too... it is a relief to have access to so many people in the same or similar boat... those inter-webs were a great invention :)

Tomlin likes this.
  14. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I know it's easy to get discouraged, but sometimes you have to go back up in dose before you can come back down. It's all part of the process. It is easy to get hung up on just the numbers too. How is Luna doing overall?

15. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

She's good. A lot more energy than when she first got diagnosed and the 6 pees a day are down to 3. So there is progress. I'm coming to terms with this being a marathon, but for her overall health, I'd like to see those numbers come down a little. Let's hang out in the upper 100s while she makes up her mind what to do next.

Tomlin and carfurby (GA) like this.