6/24 Radar amps 275 +5/53,56 PMPS 285 +2/304 we are bouncing

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jan Radar (GA), Jun 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm happy to report that Radar is acting like himself and eating in a much more normal fashion. Consistent eating will certainly help his body continue to heal and it has done wonders for helping the humans at our house feel better. Now I feel like we can direct our attention to getting his BG more under control. Running errands this morning before it gets really hot so will have to test later in the cycle to see where we are... Meanwhile Radar sleeps happily in his favorite cupboard. While you dream little one, think green. :D:D

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Great report for Radar. :)

Jan Radar (GA) likes this.
  3. Jan Radar (GA)

I knew this day was coming... Just tested at +5 and he was 53. I fed him a bit of LC - about 2 T. I haven't done this in a long time so I think I know what to do... But my heart is racing...o_O

4. Jan Radar (GA)

He is a little lethargic

5. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

That 53 - is it with your Relion or your AT? If it's with your AT, you want to give him some high carb food or karo.

If he's lethargic, I would recheck him in no more than 20 minutes, and keep close tabs on him until then.

6. Jan Radar (GA)

He's willing to lick a bit of gravy. Will test in few min

7. Jan Radar (GA)

ReliOn
    Meter

8. Amy&TrixieCat

Ok, good. Let us know what that next number is.

I have to start my own cats' dinner routine very soon, but I will do my best to check in again shortly. I did try to round up some others to check on you as well.

9. Jan Radar (GA)

10. Jan Radar (GA)

Thank you.more gravy now or meat and honey?

11. Amy&TrixieCat

How long has it been since you got the 53?

56 is a safe number...we'd like him a tad higher just for a cushion, but he is in an OK place right now. I actually would try giving a little more LC to see if you can encourage him surf a bit, and then test again in half an hour.

12. Jan Radar (GA)

I went with 1 spoon meat with gravy -no honey

13. Jan Radar (GA)

Ok he's hungry will give lc

14. Amy&TrixieCat

Ok, we'll see where that puts him. It would be nice to encourage a surf rather than a springboard through the roof!

15. Jan Radar (GA)

It's been 1/2 hr since 53

16. Amy&TrixieCat

Just keep in mind that you don't want to over-feed him right now. We need him to stay a little hungry so that he'll be willing to eat later in the cycle if necessary, plus we don't want him to scarf-n-barf.

17. Amy&TrixieCat

Good - that's nice and flat!

18. Jan Radar (GA)

He's eaten another spoon of lc

19. Jan Radar (GA)

No symptoms. Washing his face right now. Will test in 30 min

jayla-n-Drevon and Amy&TrixieCat like this.
  20. Amy&TrixieCat

I'll try to check back then but so far, so good!

21. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

good job Jan!!! Nicely done Radar:D

22. Jan Radar (GA)

The hc I gave him and the little bit of honey he got and the lc has moved him up to 131. Guess I got carried away... :nailbiting::nailbiting: But now that he's had a low like this I remember what to do so I feel more confident.
    He's just chilling in the kitchen wondering what all the fuss is about... Wondering if there are more yummy treats??? Or maybe gravy?? Mmmm gravy....

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  23. Amy&TrixieCat

You can space out the tests now, but yes - you do want to keep testing because the effects of all that yummy HC food can wear off and he can drop again. I think you're probably good to hold off for an hour before the next test and go from there.

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  24. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi Jan! Well look at Radar sneaking low on you. Looks like that HC brought him up to 131 just now. You can hold off on the food now but grab another test in 30 to see if he has gone down again or if he will surf into the PMPS .

25. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

I admit, I am a testaholic.........do what makes you comfortable.

26. Jan Radar (GA)

Thank you so much for being available when your own kitty needed you. :bighug::bighug: I'm so grateful. I will test again in an hour.

27. Amy&TrixieCat

You are more than welcome...helping each other is what this group is all about, and it if weren't for this place, my Trixie might not even be here, much less be here and be in remission, so lending a hand when I can is the very least I can do in return!

28. Jan Radar (GA)

He raced down the dosing scale last summer after I changed his food to all wet- from 9 units of Vetsulin bid to 0 -in just one week. I was so unprepared to deal with it and so scared.:nailbiting: This time I just felt rusty but I knew that when he was ready he would let me know. I will test again in about 5 min or so.

29. Jan Radar (GA)

I will need to know what to do about his dose tonight... Because he's a Long term diabetic this dance in the 50s does not earn a reduction right? I'm thinking I'd like to reduce by .25 partly because he's been on this dose a long time. Although because of the skipped shot last Friday due to his dental surgery this would be the 13th cycle on this dose if I'm counting right. I am trying to follow TR but don't think I really "get it" yet.

30. Amy&TrixieCat

If you are truly following TR, Radar didn't earn a reduction today. Technically with TR, a newly diagnosed diabetic earns a reducie by dropping below 50; long-term diabetics generally follow even more rigid guidelines than that, but it does become more of an individual thing.

Personally, if Radar were mine, I wouldn't reduce the dose. While today's 53 is an eye-catcher, his numbers aren't calling for a reduction. Just my opinion, of course!

31. Jan Radar (GA)

Just tested again and he's 118 at +6.5
    What do I need to do now?

32. Jan Radar (GA)

He's prowling for food... Will give a spoon of low carb

33. Amy&TrixieCat

A little snack is fine, but in general that wasn't much of a drop so feeding him wasn't absolutely "necessary" with regards to BGs, so to speak.

Remember to not feed for 2 hours prior to his shot - unless, of course, he's low enough to warrant it!

It's just about dinner time for us here, but I'll try to keep tabs!

34. Jan Radar (GA)

Thank you Amy. :bighug: Your time is much appreciated.
    I went ahead and gave him a little snack because dinner time here isn't for many hours. I will of course continue to monitor.

Amy&TrixieCat likes this.
  35. Jan Radar (GA)

I am leaning today into the testaholic category... Thanks for encouraging me today. :bighug:

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  36. Jan Radar (GA)

@Marje and Gracie or anyone else who can help me understand TR and why the 53 Radar had today doesn't earn a reduction?? He was so very close to the cut off... I don't get it.

Tonight's PMPS was 285 which suggests that by some miracle he doesn't seem to be bouncing from that 53. Could it be because he's more accustomed to lower numbers now?? Any thoughts? I'm ready to learn the next steps in this sugary dance.

37. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I'm looking at his SS, Jan. BRB.

38. Marje and Gracie

Radar is not a newly diagnosed kitty which is a kitty that has been diabetic less than one year. He's a long-term diabetic and so, under TR, he earns a 0.25u reduction by:
    • Falling below 40 once or
    • Spending a week in normal numbers, primarily below 100 or
    • Falling between 40 and 50 on three separate days
    Since he as 53, he didn't earn a reduction. In fact, even if he had been newly diagnosed, he wouldn't have because we go based on the number younger on the meter, not what he "might" have been with meter variance.

On occasion, if you are working really hard to keep him above 40, it might be worthwhile to try a reduction but that wasn't the case today.

I think he has started bouncing. Let's hope he clears it quickly.

I'm glad he's feeling better! Pls tag me if you have any other questions. :bighug:

39. Jan Radar (GA)

Hmm. ???? So I think my concern is that in order for him to earn the reduction I should not have intervened today ??? until he was below 50 that's wayyyyyy too scary for my taste. This seems counter intuitive to me. ??? I took immediate action today when I discovered his number and didn't consider waiting to see if he'd drop further. I'm just confused about why he has to go so low to earn the reduction. I'm sure there is wisdom here that I'm just not seeing. ??? I want to understand really I do but I'm lost here. ???

40. Marje and Gracie

When you feed the curve to keep the numbers up and prevent the reduction, it allows him to stay in healing numbers longer. The longer he stays in healing numbers, the more it helps the beta cells recover and hopefully start to produce their own insulin at some point.

When they drop below the reduction point even when you have fed the curve, then there is a good chance the reduction will hold.

The TR protocol is aggressive but it has built-in safety mechanisms and when you are testing and catch the low numbers, you feed to bring him back up.

It is scary when you get those lower numbers but you are in control and can keep him safe with testing and feeding.

41. Jan Radar (GA)

:bighug::bighug::bighug: This answer makes soooo much sense. NOW I get it. Thank you for helping us understand more clearly and deeply the thinking behind the point of reduction. It's like helping a kid learn to ride a bike. The training wheels are needed to help stabilize the rider. If they are taken away too soon, tears and scraped knees inevitably follow. So as the kind and wise helpers for Radar, the need for patience takes on a new nuance for us today as we try to build a strong "rider". We are so grateful for all the learning we've had the chance to absorb here in the last year. We look forward to learning how to more successfully feed the curve to keep Radar in the sweet spot. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.