6/25 Meepers AMPS 337

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by 4catsinashoe, Jun 25, 2020.

1. 4catsinashoe

4catsinashoe Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/6-24-meepers-amps-382.231392/#post-2588609

I did start the new dose last night, thank you @Wendy&Neko , and while I don't think there were any glucose shenanigans, he had me up at 3:30, popping his own cans out of the case, managed to get the lid off, and everything they were rolling all over the kitchen. LOL I take that as a sign he was feeling good, he hasn't been that energetic in a couple months. Ohh, and he ate, a sheet of paper.... :facepalm: guess, he thought I didn't need that check from the 'secret'. hehe

Though i'll have to take extra readings over the weekend to really see whats happening through out the day, since i'll be home to actually see. I just wish these test strips weren't so expensive, these pharmaceutical companies, aught to be ashamed.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  2. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Sounds like Meepers is full of mischief! My Luci is always up to no good as well. I call her an opportunist! She will jump on the kitchen counter and lick flour (if I'm baking)...try to eat the butter and will never ever pass up a pastry, baked good or chocolate candy that's left unguarded. She's really bad about those kinds of things...even tries to get into the groceries when I'm bringing in the bags...nothing is ever safe from her!

I see you're using the AT2 - if you're looking for less expensive methods of testing, get yourself a human kit. The numbers are still the numbers - high is still high and low is low - regardless of which meter you're using. I'm using the OneDrop system https://onedrop.today/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9KPPveWc6gIVjsDACh3FvAKwEAAYASAAEgJe7vD_BwE myself because it's a subscription service and they send unlimited strips for $49.95 per month. There are other subscription services. Just sign up and they send you the meter and strips, then record the readings and order more strips; they need the numbers. They DO NOT need to know who or what the meter is used for. I personally love the system and highly recommend it since my days of chasing around after strips are over. We go through a ton of strips in this household as you can see from Luci's SS...so it's something to consider - affordable and convenient.

3. 4catsinashoe

4catsinashoe Member

@Sue and Luci I'm so glad my cat isn't the only who is a butter eater, he drives me crazy. I have to hide it under a pot lid and hope he didn't see me put it under there lol
    I didn't know you could use the human meters, I thought the numbers had to be specially calibrated for cats (the vet, seems to like costing me extra money I think)... it would be so great if I could use the cheaper human strips. Will there be some flux with readings when we first adjust over to a new reader, or is it all the same? ohh, I suppose I could just test twice, once with each meter and see what the difference is.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  4. Erin and Moe (GA)

Erin and Moe (GA) Well-Known Member

I switched from alpha trak to the Relion because of the cost of the strips. The numbers on the AT read a bit higher than a human meter, so where we were getting black numbers with AT, they became red with the Relion. It took me a couple of weeks to stop mentally comparing the numbers. I think we are looking for trends, more than individual numbers.

5. Sue and Luci

@Erin and Moe is right about that one...it's more about trends than about the exact precise number. I think if you tried a human meter of any kind you'll see those numbers are very similar...especially after you post them into your SS...typically greens are greens, blues are blues and yellows, yellow...but like Erin's experience those really high black numbers can often appear as red numbers - and we all know what that means - kitty is too high and possibly needs more time or more insulin...and vice versa, lower numbers down in those lovely blues and greens would indicate that kitty is getting a good dose, blood glucose levels are moderating and possibly you would want to be watchful of kitty going too low...

Please let us know how you like the human meter once you try it. I'm sure you'll love the savings :)

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Our dosing methods were designed with human meters in mind. When I started here, hardly anyone used the AT, the manufacturer had just come out with them and most of the vets used the human meters too. Mine did and found her Onetouch relatively close to lab values. Since then, Abbott has done a fine job marketing the meters to vets, so we are seeing more of them suggest you need the AT. You don't, just follow the numbers in our dosing methods.

Neko loved butter too. Every time I was baking, she wanted her cut. (unsalted of course for her).

Sue and Luci likes this.
  7. 4catsinashoe

4catsinashoe Member

This is so good to know; I'm so glad i found this forum, i would still be fumbling my way around with no support, this is all so helpful :) its awesome, how much you can you can pick up with knowledge sharing!

I'm going to give the human one a go, I really could use the savings, and maybe the trigger mechanism will be a little quieter, he hates that sound right in his ear, when it releases for the stick.
    You would think they would keep the sound of the spring action in mind, when they design something for an animal, that will be right in their ear. I think that's the part, that scares him; not really the stick itself.

It'a almost like they can sense you plan to bake, can almost feel 4 sets of eyes, land on me, when i even think about making cookies, its kinda scary LOL

Sue and Luci likes this.
  8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Some of us free hand the poke - that way no sound. But it's personal preference for both you and the cat.

9. Sue and Luci

Yes, I tried using that little device to hold the lancet...but Luci was a wiggle worm in the beginning and the spring sprong sound made her jump...well that didn't help. I tossed that thing pretty quick. I support her ear with a rice-filled sock that I warm in the microwave for a few seconds - one of my microwaves takes 15 seconds, the other takes 22 seconds; you'll want to put it on your inner wrist to make sure it's just warm, not hot. Support his ear with that and try using the lancet just to poke the upper outer edge of the ear flap. It seems a little tricky at first but soon you'll be an old hand at it and it'll seem like second nature...I always press the poke area with a tissue for a few seconds to stop the bleeding (and keep Luci from slinging that blood droplet all over me, etc.) and then apply a little dab of Neosporin ointment - which she also tries to eat. My Luci is a real nut and wants to eat everything...

I couldn't agree more about knowledge sharing and the support of this forum. Lots of people with great ideas, suggestions, help, support and guidance. It's a collective body of experienced and kind folks who all want to help these FD kitties...so much knowledge here...far outweighs that of any vet that I've ever heard of....keep posting and keep asking questions... :)

Wendy&Neko likes this.