? 6/27 - Lovie is a newly diagnosed cat with history of DKA -need help for tonights shot?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lovie's Mom, Jun 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lovie's Mom

Lovie's Mom Member

This is my first posting. I've only been testing for a few days and am just learning what the numbers mean.

I'm on the phone with my sister who is the mom of Radar and she is talking me through taking care of Lovie. I just tested her and she had a reading of 34. I gave her a little chicken with honey on it and tested her 20 minutes later and now she is at 41. i will test her again in about 10 minutes.

2. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

Just been through this with Truffles today. It’s scary. I did the same honey and food. Tested 20 mins later. Still too low gave friskies in sauce. Started to come up. More food. Hang on in there. I’m sure someone with more experience will pipe up. Just wanted to lend support.

Lovie's Mom likes this.
  3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Do you have any karo syrup, honey or maple syrup? If so, give her some to help raise her BG. Or if you have any food with gravy or dry food, that also will help.

4. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

Keep testing - try feeding a higher carb food along with the honey, if you have it. It will stay with her longer than just honey. Not too much food as you need her to stay hungry. How many hours since the insulin as it starts to level out around 6 hours in. Stay calm...hoping this helps.

5. Lovie's Mom

Lovie's Mom Member

Lovie is not going for the honey. I'm searching for Karo and or maple syrup. I found some vanilla ice cream and gave her some on the chicken. I'm going to test her again now

6. Becky & Baby Girl GA

We normally syringe a little or rub the honey, Karo in her mouth & gums. Most will not eat it on their own. I’ve used a medicine syringe & also force fed mine - high carb food?

7. Lovie's Mom

Lovie's Mom Member

She's 49 now

alexthecat likes this.
  8. Lovie's Mom

Lovie's Mom Member

I gave her a dime sized amount of honey and put it in her mouth. She won't eat the chicken with ice cream. I'm going to try heating up the DM and see if she'll eat it. She's not being very cooperative with the eating

9. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Good... keep feeding, testing & keep up the good work! I know it’s messy to slather honey everywhere but it’s what’s needed. Do you have any medium carb food she likes in the house? It’s good to keep a few cans handy for this. Doing great & I hope she continues to rise!

10. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Even some can tuna water poured over to help her eat it. Some like Parmesan cheese sprinkled on. You can water down the dm & syringe too as it’s pretty high in carbs.

11. Lovie's Mom

Lovie's Mom Member

There is honey everywhere. hahaha She does not want to eat. I don't have anything in the house thats high carb. I'm so new at this and I don't have the right supplies. She is not showing any symptoms at all.

12. Becky & Baby Girl GA

They usually don’t show symptoms...but if left at 30’s some go into seizures- etc... not good. a tbsp of honey & checking. Wish you could get food into her. How long ago was the insulin given?

13. Lovie's Mom

Lovie's Mom Member

We are at +8 and a half or so... She just won't eat anything I offer.

14. Lovie's Mom

Lovie's Mom Member

There is a petsmart near the house. My sister has suggested that I go quickly and pick up some friskies or fancy feast with gravy.

15. Chris & Lucy

Chris & Lucy Member

Some dry food at this point would be helpful. Any amount of carbs that would stay with her for a while. She's coming up slowly and your late in the cycle so that's good. Keep testing until her numbers are in a safe spot.

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  16. Becky & Baby Girl GA

We’ve all been where you’re at. Don’t feel alone. What number is she at ... the insulin should be wearing down. You’re doing great.. any dry food?

17. Lovie's Mom

Lovie's Mom Member

I don't have any dry food.

18. Becky & Baby Girl GA

I have scooped food in with my fingers, force feed. Will she swallow or spit the dm out? Give that a try but don’t choke her. Little at a time.

19. Lovie's Mom

Lovie's Mom Member

This is Michelle's sister, Jan, typring for her. Michelle went to the Petsmart to get higher carb foods for Lovie. She'll be home again in a few minutes and then will test Lovie again.

Chris & Lucy likes this.
  20. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Oh fantastic! I’m so glad you’re there! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: Hoping things will be back to normal soon.

21. Chris & Lucy

Chris & Lucy Member

Depending on what sort of syringes you use, some have needles that just twist off. You can use that to shoot some honey or sugar water into her check pouch. As long as her numbers are headed up you should be good though.

22. Chris & Lucy

Chris & Lucy Member

Might tell her to pick up a feeding syringe while she's there. Just in case it's needed now or in the future. :)

23. Lovie's Mom

Lovie's Mom Member

This is still Michelle's sister, Jan. She should be calling me any minute to tell me that she's home. She will need to reduce the dose to 1.75 but she doesn't have syringes with half unit markings so that's going to be difficult. I am thinking of telling her to give 1.5 units because that will be easier to "eyeball". What do others think?

24. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Agree, she can always get some with 1/2 unit marks if needed.

Lovie's Mom likes this.
  25. Lovie's Mom

Lovie's Mom Member

Lovie is eating chicken with a little gravy. :)

Chris & Lucy likes this.
  26. Lovie's Mom

Lovie's Mom Member

Now for another test. Hoping Lovie will cooperate

27. Chris & Lucy

Chris & Lucy Member

I'd want to see a PS number before making a decision to shoot at all. She shot a real low number last nite and a fairly low carry over number this morning. I would think a bigger reduction might be in order.

28. Lovie's Mom

Lovie's Mom Member

She's 71 now and she likes chicken with gravy!!

29. Chris & Lucy

Chris & Lucy Member

That's fantastic news! That will stick with her longer than the honey and help prop up her bg. Great job getting her out of danger! Take a deep breath and pat yourself on the back.

Lovie's Mom likes this.
  30. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Good! Yes if your pmps is low than a larger reduction or a no shoot is in order. I’m happy she’s doing good. I have little ones coming over so I need to sign off!

31. Lovie's Mom

Lovie's Mom Member

Thanks so much for your help.

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  32. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

I am concerned about skipping a shot when Lovie has only recently recovered from DKA - as in she came home from the hospital just 7 days ago. My Radar has never had ketones so I don't know how to help Michelle with Lovie in this area. Would it be wiser to give a token dose? or is there something else she should do?

33. Lovie's Mom

Lovie's Mom Member

It will be shot time in about 1 hour. I need help deciding what to do about the dose... should I skip it completely? or should I give a little insulin? After the really low reading this afternoon I don't want to deal with low numbers all night too. help!

34. Chris & Lucy

Chris & Lucy Member

One of the Lantus protocols says don't shoot under 200. Another one says low numbers can be given a token dose. Hopefully someone more experienced will chime in on this matter.

No matter what you decide to do tonight, a reduction is in order tomorrow after today's incident and last nites number. I think it's been earned by both of you. :)

Jan Radar (GA) likes this.
  35. Jan Radar (GA)

@LizzieInTexas
    This is my sister's cat... I don't have experience with ketones and Lovie has recently had DKA.... which concerns me a bit. Could you share an opinion about what we should do about tonight's dose?

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  36. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

I don't have any first hand experience with DKA either, just from what I have learned here.

Plenty of strips? HC food? Honey/karo? Able to stay up and monitor? The depot will be in play regardless of the dose given so you need to look at what the numbers might be tomorrow based on the dose given tonight. I would shoot 1.75 as best as possible without syringes with 1/2U marks (error on conservative).

Is kitty eating good (I.r., getting enough calories)? Testing for ketones?

37. LizzieInTexas

How long since kitty has had food? Will PS be influenced by food?

This is important info.

38. Jan Radar (GA)

I'm waiting to hear from my sister about what Lovie's number is right now.... She has plenty of testing supplies. But I think she has to work tomorrow so can't be there to monitor. I don't know if she has the strips to test for Ketones....

thanks for you opinion. I'm feeling a bit out of my league...

39. LizzieInTexas

My concern is the PS bring influenced by foo and not give us an accurate number to judge by.

1.5 would probably be ok.

Need to get thus over to L&L. I think 2U is too much. Should have started much lower and worked the dose up. There are much more experienced peeps that can give better dosing advise than me.

40. Jan Radar (GA)

Excellent thoughts! I'll post in L&L for help

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.