6/5: Jag Update

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by chrisb3127, Jun 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrisb3127

chrisb3127 Member

Yesterday's post with his history

I went to the vet last night, and was given SubQ fluids to administer for the next 10 days. 100mL per day.

He seems slightly more alert post-fluids tonight, so I'm hoping this is a good sign that will continue.

Still feeding via syringe, and will try offering food separately to see if he goes it on his own.

They recommended waiting until a internal medicine doctor was in to ask about the appy pills and concerns on the Cerenia dosing, since the doctor knows his record best. I will probably send the doctor an email, since it's usually hard to get them on the phone since they are usually pretty busy in the daytime.

I dosed 2.5U last night, and will continue 2.5U for now to see what happens with his numbers. I will also try to get in more tests every 2 hours as long as I'm home.

I also got a ketone meter (Novamax) since those color strips I can never tell exactly what it is :) I think blood would be a more accurate gauge at this point, especially since he ended up moderate when he was admitted before Memorial Day.

Hoping for some improvement now that he'll be getting hydrated, and balancing out his electrolytes!

2. chrisb3127

chrisb3127 Member

Question :) I was reading his discharge papers again from last week:

Can you compare the Cerenia injection against pill, as far as dose? He was given: "Cerenia 10mg/ml - 0.86" while admitted. What is 0.86 compared to pill form?

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  3. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

I don't know but IMO the shot works 100x's better. Did you read the post that I linked to yesterday? The shot vs. pill was kinda what started that discussion.

By chance could Jag be constipated?

chrisb3127 likes this.
  4. chrisb3127

chrisb3127 Member

Yeah, I read through it :) He only has pills left until Wednesday, I will check if he is going to continue. I'll definitely ask about doing the shot, and to double check the dosage.

Jag did poop earlier tonight. Not as big as a normal one (probably since the consistent food started Saturday night and is finally working its way through). It did look slightly hard/dry in the box.

I just did the ketone blood test, and got a 1.4. Is the first post from this thread (4th line from the bottom) accurate for the range to follow? His urine always shows trace.

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

While the shots work better than the pills, the sting from cerenia shots was something I couldn’t deal with so I opted for pills and increased the dose a little. Since you are giving fluids you could try to inject in the fluids bubble as I’ve read that might not sting that way. I don’t understand the hesitation by the vets in an appy stimulant. I always had cyproheptadine around and tried Zyrtec too with my vet’s approval.

chrisb3127 likes this.
  6. chrisb3127

chrisb3127 Member

Thanks for the suggestions!

Jag seems a little more perkier today. Hopefully this is a sign the fluids from last night are impacting him. One of the other kitties finally sat next to him in his favorite cardboard box! Hopefully this is a good sign too. :)

Still won't eat on his own, but hopefully that will change in time. His glucose is in the upper 100s since this morning. Going to hold the 2.5 and see how things go, and run those ketone tests twice daily just to make sure all is well.

Are there any preferred times to check blood ketones? Was thinking of doing the ketone blood test before each shot so it doesn't add any extra pokes.

7. chrisb3127

chrisb3127 Member

Ketones went down to 0.6 tonight on the Novamax! Just gave him his second day of fluids. He seems more alert today, and now with the ketones appearing to decrease, I think we're heading in a better direction! :)

8. LizzieInTexas

Yay!

chrisb3127 likes this.
  9. LizzieInTexas

Yay!

Now eat your fudz Jag :cat:

chrisb3127 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.