6/6: Jag, AMPS 242

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by chrisb3127, Jun 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrisb3127

chrisb3127 Member

Jag continues to get his SubQ at night. His BG levels seem a little more tighter now, so hopefully he'll continue on the right track. (I will be asking for some dosing advice once we're past the 6 doses! ;))

Ketones in blood registered at 0.6 again this morning, which is within the normal range for a cat, so it looks like the ketones have been getting flushed out.

Only downside is he still won't eat on his own, so I've been continuing to syringe feed. Was able to get 310 kcals in him yesterday. Going to aim for his full recommended intake of about 335 today. Weight is holding steady, so I think as long as I continue feeding him enough, he will stay steady or even gain back some of the lost weight.

He might have some constipation. Poop last night was small, and looked hard/dry still. A few minutes ago, he looked like he was going to poop, but nothing came out when he was in the litter box. Might get some pumpkin to mix into his food to help him.

2. Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago Member

Just a suggestion to check out felineconstipation.org. Pumpkin helps many to prevent constipation by adding bulk to the stool, but if Jag is already constipated, you may need acute treatment. With fluids now in the picture, I will assume he is well hydrated. If recent stool was small / hard, it is likely you need to get more moisture in the stool to allow it to pass. Would you consider adding Miralax to his food to get things moving? This is easy to do and readily available over the counter.

One symptom of a constipated cat can be that they won't eat because they already feel full.

I use at least 1/8 tsp Miralax in each meal / snack for Rose as an ongoing / maintenance thing (and increase it as needed). Please note, Rose has chronic constipation and is also on several other Rx medications.

Hope this helps!

chrisb3127 likes this.
  3. chrisb3127

chrisb3127 Member

Thanks for the link! I will check it out :)

4. chrisb3127

chrisb3127 Member

PMPS: 352, and Ketones (blood) at 0.4. Dosed 2.5U.

I emailed the vet, and she wrote back. The blood ketones of 0.4 and 0.6 are fine. She's going to write a new Rx to try Entyce for him to eat. He had this at the primary vet and ate for me in the car shortly afterward, so maybe it will work. (crossing fingers, toes!)

She said though if he continues to refuse food, he may eventually refuse me syringe feeding, and at that point would need a feeding tube. Hopefully it won't come to that.

@Carol in Chicago the vet also recommended Miralax based on how his poop looks and how he was trying to go earlier but nothing happened. Going to try this, since if he is constipated, maybe he does feel full, and this will help get his bowels moving again.

5. Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago Member

Great. Good luck with Miralax. Just remember hydration is important in general and especially w/ Miralax which works by drawing moisture into the stool. It is used in a "dose to effect" manner, so some trial and error may be required to get and keep things moving.

My Rosie also receives daily SQ fluids and has extra water added to every meal and snack.

Hope you see something impressive in the LB soon. :)

chrisb3127 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.