6/6 Simmy AMPS 103; +1=87; +3=59; +4=64; +6=71; +8=88; +10=85

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Meesta Simmy, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Meesta Simmy

Meesta Simmy Member

Yesterday

Second day of increased dosage of 1.5 units... :nailbiting:

Attached Files:

2. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

Another nice start for Simmy ! :D

Meesta Simmy likes this.
  3. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

Simmy looks like he’s doing well on this dose so far! Great start :D

Meesta Simmy likes this.
  4. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Looking amazing Simmy! :D:D:D

Meesta Simmy likes this.
  5. Meesta Simmy

Meesta Simmy Member

Hopefully he goes into the 80s and 90s so I can escape for 2 hours and go get some dim sum.

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  6. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

If you can leave him some food out while gone...if he needs the food he will eat.

I wonder if you little guy just likes have a high AMPS.. he seems to like those big drops first thing in the morning and then hangs out nice and even the rest of the day.

To answer your question...I think he is on a mission to heal which hopefully leads to remission. Those greens numbers and flattened cycle numbers are really encouraging. Even if he doesn't, he now is classed as tightly controlled which is a huge feat and you deserve a pat on the back for getting him this far. The rest is up to Simmy and his body to do. I have a feeling he is going to earn his first reduction soon.

I just am not sure what his reduction # is. It depends if he is classed as a long-term diabetic or new. You signature indicates that he has been dx for 2.5 years but I am not sure if that is classed as long-term if he was largely unregulated and with no home testing. @Chris & China (GA) - can you help with determining the reduction number?

7. Meesta Simmy

Meesta Simmy Member

In a way, getting laid off was a blessing in disguise because I now have the time to do what I've been doing. I can do this for a couple more months, but then it's time to start looking aggressively for employment. As previously mentioned, I don't have anyone to help me with this, but I'm looking into automatic cat feeders — I wonder, though, what if he's low and asleep and the feeder opens? Maybe I can attach some small bells to the lid...

I have to mention too that I've been feeding him small portions to keep his numbers from dropping too low. But that happens based on each test. Do you think I should decrease his dosage back to 1.25 so that he's not reliant on constant feeding just to keep his numbers from plummeting?

Thanks for all of your help and encouragement!

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  8. Tracey&Jones (GA)

It makes a noise when it turns...Simmy will hear it. A feeder is a great idea for when you get back to work or need to run to an interview :).

I would structure your feeding vs. giving @ each test. Try to establish a pattern of feeding as if you had a feeder and going to work. Most people here do a +3, +6 +9 snack. I know you took the more aggressive TR method right now as you are home, but hopefully that gets him into remission or tightly controlled before you go back to work. At that time you can always switch to SLGS and be a little more conservative in your approach. Both methods have good results and are designed to keep your kitty safe.

I am not going to say you won't get a "take action number" but if you do then put a 911 on your thread and post the BG number and "looking for assistance" Someone will come along and help quickly. You have your hypo kit and read the instructions - so you are prepared.

Jones went as low as 34 - no signs of hypo outside of being cold to the touch and hungry. I rubbed the syrup, fed the HC, testing every 20 mins and posted. The first time was pretty scary that he went low, but after that I became a pro.

I wouldn't drop the dose until we get a number that indicates we should do so (I just don't know if that is 50 or 40. I am leaning towards 50) - but that is me - as I said before - you hold the syringe and you know Simmy best.

Once Chris drops in, she may have a different opinion on the reduction number.

Your welcome, just paying forward the help I received with Jones.

ETA: I see he hit 50 last night!! If we go with 50 then he did earn a reduction back to 1.25u. Hopefully Chris pops in soon and can let us know what she thinks.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  9. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I think I would have stuck with the 1.25 a little longer because Simmy was getting some pretty good nadir numbers then

That AMPS number is always the last one to go down due to something called the Dawn Phenomenon

That being said, now that he's up to 1.5, if you're doing TR, you want to hold the dose for at least 6 cycle unless he drops below 40 or drops below 50 three times

I have a feeling he'll be earning that reduction back to 1.25 soon!

10. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Thanks Chris. Is the 40 because he was dx two years ago and classed as a long-term diabetic?

11. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Can you please explain what Dawn Phenomenon is?

Meesta Simmy likes this.
  12. Meesta Simmy

Meesta Simmy Member

From Mayo Clinic:

The dawn phenomenon, also called the dawn effect, is the term used to describe an abnormal early-morning increase in blood sugar (glucose) — usually between 2 a.m. and 8 a.m. — in people with diabetes.

Some researchers believe the natural overnight release of the so-called counter-regulatory hormones — including growth hormone, cortisol, glucagon and epinephrine — increases insulin resistance, causing blood sugar to rise. High morning blood sugar may also be caused by insufficient insulin the night before, insufficient anti-diabetic medication dosages or carbohydrate snack consumption at bedtime.

If you have persistently elevated blood sugar in the morning, checking your blood sugar once during the night — around 2 a.m. or 3 a.m. — for several nights in a row will help you and your doctor determine if you have the dawn phenomenon or if there's another reason for an elevated morning blood sugar reading.

What you can do
    Your doctor may recommend a number of options to help you prevent or correct high blood sugar levels in the morning:

• Avoid carbohydrates at bedtime.
    • Adjust your dose of medication or insulin.
    • Switch to a different medication.
    • Change the time when you take your medication or insulin from dinnertime to bedtime.
    • Use an insulin pump to administer extra insulin during early-morning hours.

Bellasmom likes this.
  13. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Thank you