6mm insulin length ok?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Deb14, Jan 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deb14

Deb14 Member

hello all.

Have a ibd/sm lymphoma kitty. she's been on insulin since june from 2 units down to 3/4 yeah except when she takes her prednisolone she needs anywhere from a hair over 1 unit and gradually reduce over 36 hrs to her normal 3/4 dose...its another job and frequent testing but my patchy is worth it lol. If anyone has ideas on getting her off the insulin it would be helpful. i have followed the protocol for several months and have reduced her prednisolone to every 5 days..her ibd (thats what vets thinks, but testing was inconclusive).. its seems like we are at a standstill. i think that unless i stop the steroid she will continue to be on insulin. She's doing well so i hate to stop the steroid. from testing her the steroid gradually leaves her system by 36 hrs then it tricks us and all numbers look good then another 12 hrs it shoots up again. its difficult but i have kept her numbers from 77 - 125. her low has been in the 40's. never had a hypolgycemic event due to frequent testing. again have followed the protocol which did get her to 3/4 unit twice a day which we are happy about. please if anyone has ideas please let me know. i have heard of budniside (typo) another steroid that doesnt cause as much of a spike in the numbers but the vets say they havent seen a big difference. thanks very much Debbie

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

You should change you subject line since it concerns needle length and I comment on your other post concerning needle length.

I have used budesonide for several of my cats for IBD. I would discuss with your vet using budesonide instead of prednesolone. For some of my the busesonide has not noticeable effect on BG/insulin needs but for other an increase in insulin was required.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.