7/1 Loudogg AMPS 309 +2.5 345 +8.5 310 PMPS 306 +3 285

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Amanda and a Loudogg, Jul 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

June 30, 2018 Condo

Good morning everyone! Welcome to July!

Lou had a good day yesterday, although not quite as good a night. I'm intrigued by how he'll bounce up a 100 points or so, which isn't so bad, but then he's in the 300s by AMPS. I wonder if that has more to do with his body being used to being in the 300s, so it strives to get there, or if it's just the nature of his bounce. Not like it really matters, just curious. :bookworm: Hopefully that won't matter because his body will get used to the lower numbers any day now. ;)

Today is Caleb and I's 1st wedding anniversary (7th anniversary as a couple)! With Lou still getting used to the new insulin, we decided to have a staycation instead of running away for a day or two. We haven't fully finalized our plan, but I think today we're going to act as tourists here and Caleb is going to make us a banging dinner of filet mignon, scallops, white wine sauce, and asparagus. I cannot wait!!!

I hope you all have a wonderful day and I hope your kitties stay safe out there!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  2. Amanda and a Loudogg

Hiya Teresa!
    So far, I have really liked the Basaglar. I'll admit that I was nervous to use it as first because there were reports of humans having to up their dose to get the same effect. Finally I figured I have no experience with a depot insulin (I switched from Vetsulin), I may as well give it a try. It was pretty significantly cheaper than Lantus on Marks Marine Pharmacy ($40 or $50 less). I think Lou has been reacting very well to it. He was at 4u per cycle on Vetsulin, and he's currently down to 3u on the Basaglar, so it seems to be working well enough.

My only beef with the Basaglar is when I received my pack of 5 from Marks Marine Pharmacy in May, it expires in December 2018. I was livid, but apparently the manufacturer hadn't released a new lot with a later expiration (at least in Canada). I haven't found out yet if this was a fluke, or if this is something that happens frequently with this manufacturer. Thankfully (I guess, haha), Lou's on a high enough dose that he's used most of a pen in a little over a month. So I won't feel like I've wasted a lot by the end. I'll be contacting the pharmacy to check on this to see if this is something to be concerned about. I'll let you know what I find out!

3. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

That dinner sounds great. Congratulations on the anniversary.

Amanda and a Loudogg likes this.
  4. Osha

Osha Well-Known Member

Happy anniversary!!

Lou is a bouncy boy. Hopefully he will start to get used to the lower numbers and not panic. It took a long time and a switch of insulin for my girl to get off of the trampoline.

5. Amanda and a Loudogg

Thank you ladies!

I know! I feel like it's rather ridiculous how all over the place he is, but I just have to remember it won't last forever (hopefully.... :p) How long was she on Lantus before you switched to Levemir? I have already thought (I know it's too soon, but I'm just planning for every eventuality) about the possibility of switching if he doesn't calm down.

6. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

Hm this is really interesting point.... I feel like that makes sense. It's like we are trying to train them to know its ok to be so low. I am so intrigued by why their bodies do what they do too.
    Happy anniversary!!

7. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Ah, so you're using Basaglar! I was just looking at an ad for that today - thinking I wonder what would happen if we went that way??? Just wondering as we're looking at about 1/3 of our bottle of Lantus remaining - and I paid $275 for that one - that was before I knew about Mark's Marine AND the fact that now that we're in Michigan (at home and not in Florida) we're about an hour from the Canadian border - so some Saturday or Sunday afternoon we may go for a drive to get a replacement for the Lantus - and it costs (from what I understand $65 to 70 USD)...worth the trip for us!

I'd be interested in hearing the pros and cons of Basaglar vs Lantus - looks like it's chemically similar but is not a generic for Lantus - will require some more reading on my part for sure.

Glad to see your post this evening and that you and Lou are doing ok! Luci had an interesting week - visiting the lagoon frequently:eek: - but this weekend has showed no interest in going there - I haven't a clue what that's about - everything is the same here - we even had overnight guests last week - and every day they were here she went to the lagoon - so needless to say - no day-trips for mama bean - stay home with Luci:facepalm: and let the others go and sightsee...oh well...not a big deal, I've seen it all before :) And wouldn't you know it the minute they leave...she gets all distant from the greens...whatsup with that, huh? :D:D

8. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

Thank you, Buddy would have it all used in that length of time, he is on 6 units 2X a day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.