7/1 Peyton AMBG +4 64 OTJ Trial Day 8

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by jcc1531, Jul 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcc1531

jcc1531 Member

I have been reading reviews and am getting mixed reviews. What are your favorite auto feeders?

2. Doug N Libby

Doug N Libby Well-Known Member

3. jcc1531

jcc1531 Member

Re: 7/1 Peyton Recommendations for auto feeder

Great! Thank you! This one was at the top of the list :)

4. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

We loved the Petsafe 5 compartment feeder too. The only thing i saw criticized in reviews back when we were looking was that it sometimes failed to rotate completely and therefore would open with only part of the compartment open. We found that was caused by not having the food tray fully seated in the base unit.

As long as we made sure it was completely seated, ours always opened. There is a button to rotate the food tray once you have it in the base - so i always set it in one compartment back from where i wanted it, then pressed the button to rotate it. that way i knew it was all the way in.

Two great features to this feeder - it has 4 compartments, which is nice if you want it to open several times. It also has the feature that lets you set whatever times you want. Suzanne/Cobb got one (i don't know what brand) that had preset times that reduced the flexibility of when you could have it open.

i usually put one or two ice cubes in each food compartment to keep the food fresh. There appears to be a spot for a blue ice under the tray, but none came with it and it seems like it was too shallow for any to actually fit in there. I'm not sure if it was meant for that or not.

punkin had acromegaly, which means a huge appetite, and even so, he never broke into that feeder. i really liked it. As far as i could see the only negative was the noise when it rotated, but we "practiced" with it for regular +3 feedings when we were home so he'd get used to it before we actually used it while we were away. He got used to the noise, waited for it to open and would leap for the food. i'd buy it again.

5. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

I like that one too, but it is the one people have had trouble with. I think they just don't seat the tray properly though. As long as you use the advance button to test that it is seated right I haven't had a problem. I don't put the food directly in the tray though, cats can get skin allergies from eating out of plastic. Several beans have found small glass bowls that fit at the dollar store, I do ceramics so i made my own to fit. You can use 5 compartments w/ food and it will then it will go to an empty compartment, great for restricting food 2 hours before shot time so you don't have to get up at 4:00am to take it away! Not so important w/ an OTJ kitty though. ;-) It doesn't come w/ ice packs, but there is a space and you can get them from Amazon.

I didn't like the way this one operated (too hard to program) and it was too noisy. It doesn't continue to rotate, so if you want an empty bowl at the end of the cycle you only have 4 compartments for food.

some members have had trouble w/ cats breaking in, mainly w/ the pop up lid ones. And they don't close again to restrict food 2 hours before preshot. I've heard that is the hardest for a cat to break into.

6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Re: 7/1 Peyton AMBG +4 64 Recommendations for auto feeder

Congrats on the continued success of the trial!

I just ordered the feeder they are recommending . If it doesn't work, I'll send it back. My problem might be a my fearful Max won't trust it but I do need to be able to get out of the house for upcoming showers, weddings, and wedding parties over the next 2 months. I'm not a prime member so I won't get it until sometime next week.

7. jcc1531

jcc1531 Member

That's the one I'm ordering as well. Looks like it has the best reviews. I'm hopeful it will work well and relieve a lot of stress. My other cats will not be happy when we use it and they get kicked out of the room :-/

8. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

When we introduced it to Tess I set it off to the side and just let it run a couple of days, Then I put her favorite freezed dried treats in for a couple of day. She cought on really quickly.

9. jcc1531

jcc1531 Member

Great idea Ann! Thanks for the tip :)

10. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope the autofeeder works out for you.

Happy Day 8!
    flip_cat flip_cat flip_cat flip_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat

11. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

i bought mine at the local Petco, if you don't want to wait for one to be shipped.

12. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

Happy Day 8, Peyton!!!!

13. jcc1531

jcc1531 Member

Oh good! There is a Petco about 20 minutes from me. I have a Petsmart right up the road but didn't see it on their website.

Thank you all!!!! :YMHUG:

14. mariko

mariko Well-Known Member

Happy Day 8!!!
    dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat

Good luck with the auto-feeder!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.