7/10 Honey AMPS 386, +4 157, +5.5 166, +6 168, PMPS 336, +2.25 217, +4 148, +6 165

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Julie and Honey, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...-6-75-182-pmps-446-2-392.216598/#post-2403016

Yesterday she drank water twice after eating and again this morning after eating she went to water dish, but then walked away without drinking.

She has not touched water in about 6 months since going to wet food. I still leave it out, but have not seen her drink for 6 months, ever. The other day I contemplated removing the dish completely because she never drinks it, I just keep dumping it out all the time.

Has anyone else seen their cat going back to water after being off it so long?

2. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

I’ve noticed my cats also don’t drink water after we switched to wet food. Mowgli still pees a lot, but I haven’t seen him drinking from his water dish in some time. Hopefully Honey is just a little thirsty and it’s nothing more.

Have a great day Julie :)

Julie and Honey likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice slide for Honey today.

Julie and Honey likes this.
  4. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

If she continues to drink water frequently I'd consider having her kidneys checked. Ravan has kidney disease & drinks a LOT of water now. I always wonder if it's from his BG being High for so long?
    He also had a UTI recently which caused him to drink even more frequently.
    It could be just because of the weather.
    I always have a few bowls of clean water out for all my cats.
    [​IMG]

5. Julie and Honey

Thanks, good to know. Would not say excessive at all, but not used to seeing her drink anything for months it is a little unnerving. Yes it has been very hot, we have a/c, but maybe still a factor.

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  6. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

I never see Figaro drink anymore, now that he is entirely on wet food. He used to love his fountain/drinking from the tap. I had just stocked up on water filters for his fountain before we made the switch, go figure :p
    He pees a normal amount, though. I do add a bit of water to his wet food just to be sure he is getting enough, since he recently had a UTI and still has such high numbers (I want to help him flush out any ketones if they start...).
    Anyway, I don't have a specific place to point you to, but I have read that this is not uncommon once cats switch to wet food.
    I would still keep out a water bowl or two. Even if you don't see her using it, she should have water available. I remind Figaro from time to time where his are... maybe he listens :rolleyes:

7. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

Edit--I missed the point of your OP. Sorry! I would say, pay attention to the litter box. If you see a consistent increase, that may be a problem.

8. Julie and Honey

She is going the other way, not drinking anything for last 6 months after switching to wet food with added water. Now to see her showing interest in her water dish after ignoring it for 6 months has me worried. It is always something...

9. Julie and Honey

Yeah, will have to start up the pee chart I used to keep. Lol