7-14-18 Jones AMPS 182, +2 126, +4 97 PMPS 292, +4 119

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tracey&Jones (GA), Jul 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Yesterday

He hardly ate last night. Last two days barely 200 calories eaten. He needs 220 at least. So trying not to panic.

Getting hair done today and errands.

So sad to read about Rusty. Thoughts and prayers for Ella and Edward.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Sending eating vines your way ... :bighug:

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  3. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Do you think the no eating is residual from wanted the higher carb dry food? If so and you don't have any florti-flora to sprinkle on for enticement, you can try oregano. Sounds weird but it sometimes works with Bubba. Or sometimes I will take a spoonful of baby food and "ice" his wet food with it to get him going again.

If worse turns to worse and he won't eat, crush a piece of the dry and sprinkle it across his food. And if all else fails, you might have to resort to giving him the dry to get him to eat but, I would first try putting a few pieces on top of his wet and see if that works first.

4. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Higher carb wet food is what he is after- Royal Canin Renal 16% carb. I mixed it into his regular food today...almost all gone. So I will use that as a topper for now to get him started. The YA is coming up with my sister and will not arrive till Tuesday. I thought I would try it as well as a topper. He will not touch the florti-flora...was using it when he first was diagnosed and will not go near it now. Such is life with an IBD kitty. Haven't tried oregano...would need to pick some up.

Right now it is what he is willing to eat and not set off another IBD flare that I am aiming for. I will dose around it if I have to, being on pred for the rest of his life...he is never going into remission, so weight gain is what I am after...well and good numbers.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  5. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

Sending eating vines Tracey! So glad your sister is almost on her way! Hopefully he'll start eating regularly for you.

6. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

7. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

So he is not wanting his LC food but will eat 16% carb wet? And some dry? Am I understanding correctly?

ETA-I don't know much about IBD.

8. Tracey&Jones (GA)

He is willing to eat the 16% wet. Don't have any dry in the mix at the moment. Sister is bringing up some YA (as it will not ship to Canada and she is coming for a visit).

IBD flare seems to be over....nice poops for a week now but appy dived as well as he now doesn't want the food he was eating before or during the flare.:banghead::arghh:

I did put the 16% wet on top of some of the preflare 4% food this morning and he did eat most of his day food today.

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  9. LizzieInTexas

Petco or Petsmart should have these (I order them from Chewy or Amazon). They are LC. They will powder when pinched between your fingers (or just smash them in a zip lock). I use them as a topper (to encourage eating when necessary).

710aquEuF2L._SY879_.jpg

10. Tracey&Jones (GA)

That PMPS is food influenced and yes there must of been some of that HC at the bottom of the bowl. I didn't stop him from eating....as well he was eating.

11. LizzieInTexas

Shoot, I forgot you were in Canada. Do you have to be careful about the food and IBD flares?

12. Tracey&Jones (GA)

@LizzieInTexas

I will look for those. Thank you.

My closet of misbegotten food is filling up by the minute.

13. Tracey&Jones (GA)

For the most part there is certain things that will set it off. Pork, duck, dairy, tuna, venison, beef and it seems like the type of gums used...as chicken in certain brands will set him off but not all chicken. Any food changes need to be taken very slowly. It is just when he has one...then any food he was eating now becomes total garbage in his mind and he will not eat it.

ETA: sometimes I can reintroduce a food he used it eat and sometimes not.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  14. LizzieInTexas

Closet? Heck, mine is in the spare room :joyful:

I suspect Gizmo may have IBD to some degree but undiagnosed. It could just be the pancreatitis. The recent snub of food he has always eaten has started. I have had some luck going back to one that was his favorite for a couple of years but not consistently.

Gizmo gets 1 tablespoon of YA at his +6.5 feeder turn. He loves it. I swear it has saved his life as it often was the only thing he would eat when he wouldn't eat anything else during a panc flare. Only advise is to start very slow. If he likes it and eats it regularly you will be amazed with his poos :smuggrin:.

15. Bobbie And Bubba

Good plan Tracey. I agree, weight gain and eating is what your goal should be.

16. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Even with the 16% food he is dropping like stone...which triggers a mini bounce it seems. I am wondering if I should drop the dose a bit. May lead to some higher nadir numbers but not those high numbers at PS time. Will see what tomorrow shows as I can get some extra tests in.

17. Bobbie And Bubba

I would not decrease the dose. Here's why: he is barely hitting green with this dose. The only way to stop bouncing is to increase the dose so that kitty is in green numbers more and will get use to normal numbers and stop bouncing.

18. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Tracey, I saw those in PetSmart here in Ottawa just yesterday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.