7/21 Butternut PMPS=150 +1=178 +2=171 +3=162 +4=145 +6=116 +8=126 +10=240 +11=307

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Dandelion, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    AmandaE and Zorro's mom like this.
  2. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

So he's a borderline stall, I see, and he ate his meal already. I'm ready to deal with a day of frequent testing. Will wait for input. We are half hour past his first shot so far.

3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

As long as you have plenty of supplies I think you can shoot his normal dose since you can monitor. Make sure to get the +1 and +2 and keep your subject line updated. I can't stay with you right now, but will try to check back in later.

4. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Good Morning! Is this your first post - looks like you've been a member since 2015...

Congrats on shooting your first greenie! Exciting isn't it? Hope to see your avatar if/when you can add it. What's Butternut eating?

Welcome to our group if this if your first time here :)

5. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

I just dosed him at regular dose, thanks. :) His Bg was up to 111 and I didn't want to lose the streak. Am ready with testing gear and hypo kit. He's such a different cat when his bg is in a better place!

AmandaE and Zorro's mom like this.
  6. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

I posted last night with request for info about his SS. Butternut has been eating raw + canned for years. Am reviewing all those choices too. We are starting new with 'don't know mind' even though he was dx 6 yrs ago. Overwhelmed again!
    AND YES, IM SO EXCITED! :D

Sue and Luci likes this.
  7. Sue and Luci

Ah ok! I found your thread from yesterday: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...evemir-input-appreciated.217090/#post-2410561

You'll want to add that to the top of your post today so folks will know where you started and what was said, etc. Otherwise, like me, they'll be asking you the same questions that were already discussed yesterday...:facepalm:

Also you may want to edit your title like this: 7/21 Butternut AMPS 76 - first green AMPS! So that everyone will know that it's a new thread for today :)

Just a couple of tips to get you going in the right direction - one condo aka thread per day - many people will join in the conversation - although often the weekends are a bit quieter as people are away/off, etc.

Welcome again! I know it's overwhelming at first - but like you said yesterday, you're not new to diabetes and that's half the battle! I was new to the entire idea that a cat could even get diabetes!!! But I have a medical background - but still knew little to nothing about FD...it was a scary time - so much to learn and to be honest it was an uphill climb for me - I just couldn't absorb all the information fast enough (at least I thought so at the time)...but each day a new tidbit would stick and after a while Luci started to get the idea that we weren't trying to kill her with all that poking... and the routine developed to where we are now, nearly two years later...still poke poke poke as we muddle thru our journey with this disease.

Wishing you a fabulous day as you being your journey with this lovely group of folks :)

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

For the future, do NOT feed your kitty if you need to stall.

It looks like you shot already - or so I'm assuming since there's a dose listed on your spreadsheet. Here's my concern. Your last test for Butternut was a 302 at PM +3. At AMPS, your reading was 76. Clearly, Butternut's numbers were dropping overnight. Shooting a dropping number can be a challenge. If numbers are heading down with any degree of momentum and you shoot, they may drop even further with even more momentum. I would strongly recommend you test -- a lot. I was a bit of a testaholic -- mostly because Gabby's numbers plummeted early and fast. If this were my kitty, I'd get a test at +0.5 and every 30 min until I knew that numbers were stabilized. Testing early and often will allow you to steer the numbers with food vs testing at +3 which looks like your usual first test in the cycle and be caught off-guard by a very low number and you have to start shoveling HC food into Butternut.

Tomlin likes this.
  9. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

Yes I shot and by then his bg=111. Now 131. I'll be testing and posting regularly. Thank you

10. Sue and Luci

Nice job on the title!!! :) Great job this morning...it's a lot to learn :)

11. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

Thanks. Yes there is much to learn and the more reading I do the more I re-examine the past 6 yrs with a bit of judgement, and from there springs my current bouts of mild anxiety. Hence last nights comment about fear of killing him. heh. :rolleyes: Butternut jacks me up even more by trying to walk on 3 legs while scratching his ear or inventing a poop ball removal sashay, both producing a strange gait and all of them looking kinda like a hypo symptom. A couple months ago after one dose of gabapentin he was ataxic and I made a trip to the ER. They tested for hypo to be sure it wasn't that. So, it all looks similar -- like hypo -- and now my initial response is hair-trigger panic. lol.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  12. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

So far he's safe. +3 and beyond will be interesting. :nailbiting: Back to the stickies for a re-read. :coffee::coffee::coffee: Thanks for all the support today!

Zorro's mom and Sue and Luci like this.
  13. carfurby (GA)

Nice surfing so far for Butternut.

Zorro's mom likes this.
  14. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

He's asking for a snack so I gave him one @+4. Early last night was similar in that he was actually asking for more food so I gave it to him.

Is it safe to test hourly now unless I see low greens? I test him in the paw pads and he doesn't mind but I'd like to give them a break whenever possible.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  15. carfurby (GA)

Yes I think you can test hourly now. Nice surfing today.

16. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

:cat: Amazing! It's like a flat water paddling. I'm so excited for him. May his BG's continue to improve! :cat:

17. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

+7=109 - He's descending a bit. The thread title is out of spaces to add the newest bg reading.

Butternut ate a small meal @+6. Between +7 and +10 where's the best place to feed again? I'm trying to avoid 2hrs before PMPS plus Im going to test +11. We may be headed for a new low PMPS so I'll be wondering how to handle that if we get there. :confused:

18. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

+8 = 68. Surfing to golfing.

19. Sue and Luci

I'd go ahead and feed now - don't wait until you can't ... he's made a lot of progress today! Don't want him to go any lower now...

20. Sue and Luci

Butternut whatchadoing wid yo hed in dat can o chips? Luci is asking....

Love the pic!!!

21. Sue and Luci

You can tighten it up by removing some of the spaces and/or just take out a few of the mid-day numbers - we can see that he's on his way down, and down some more...wow! :)

22. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

Carb bombing! Actually he has a leg in the canister along with his face. I had paint brushes in there and I guess he wanted them. :rolleyes:

23. Sue and Luci

:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:

HIS LEG TOO!

Cats can sure 'melt' into some weirdly small spaces - it's so funny to watch them :)

24. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

He just ate... cleaned the bowl. So grateful he doesn't have appetite issues.

I decided to do just what you suggested re the thread title. Just wanted to get it noticed that he went green again. Will keep posting so you know where he is @PMPS. Thanks!

25. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

In appreciation for the assistance I've received today and for anyone needing some uplifting, here's a pic of Rudy Shale, a little guy left by his mom on the edge of the woods almost 5 yrs ago.

KittenYSSresized.jpg

26. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

BG@+9.5= 58.

27. Sue and Luci

Butternut is flirting with going after the sharks! Better keep a close eye on that one...:nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

28. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

doing just that. Yikes! I gave him 1 tsp of Daves Grain Free and will test again in 10. That's on top of the bowl of food he ate @3PM. Comfort zone being tested. :nailbiting:

29. Sue and Luci

Yes, I agree...if Luci were that low pre-shot I'd be getting a little jumpy myself. Do you recall what number you're not supposed to shoot below? ( :) this is a test... :facepalm:

30. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

not without looking. My brain when to the when to feed numbers and whether he's a new or seasoned diabetic. :nailbiting: Then there is stalling so for me this is where confusion begins.

31. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

BG 73 just shy of +10.

32. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

ECID.
    most can be shot @ +12. ECID
    nothing under 50
    def nothing 30-40
    stall
    get on the forum

33. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

so this time I will hold off feeding anything more until PMPS to see if his bg climbs unless I see it dive before then. I"m in the 2 hr pre preshot window

Sue and Luci likes this.
  34. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

nothing under 50 covers not shooting in the 30-40 range. its all in the same paragraph so can get confusing unless I am misinterpreting what is being stated. I'll work with - If Pre shot is <50 then I won't ever shoot until I get a better number.

35. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

+10.25 = 87

36. Sue and Luci

Here's some info from the stickies:
    How to handle a lower than normal preshot number:

Until you collect enough data to know how your cat will react, we suggest following the guidelines in the FDMB's FAQ Q4.4:
    Q4.4. My cat's pre-shot level was way below the usual value. Should I give the injection?
    A4.4. There's no hard and fast rule, but if you don't have data on how your cat responds to insulin, here are some general guidelines.
    • Below 150 mg/dl (8.3 mmol/L), don't give insulin.
    • Between 150 and 200 (8.3-11.1 mmol/L), you have three options:
      • a.) give nothing
      • b.) give a token dose (10-25% of the usual dose)
      • c.) feed as usual, test in a couple of hours, and make a decision based on that value
    • Above 200 (11.1 mmol/L) but below the cat's normal pre-shot value, a reduced dose might be wise.
    Since you're new at this I think you should look at option c - hold the food - wait to see what his next number or two look like...

Bellasmom likes this.
  37. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

so those guidelines are different than the ones on the TR/low pre shot sticky. Im not sure I would have found them at the proper time. :eek: 150 no insulin! the lack of data and experience rules the day and steers the decisions then. Holding the food and collecting the data for SS population.

38. Sue and Luci

I'm going to look into that again - I recall when Luci was very first diagnosed - before we started insulin - trying to decide or not - that's when I read that stickie...I know that since I've shot many times below 100 - but it's advised not to shoot below 50... My concern was that you're getting close to that 50 line... let's look for some more information...

Bellasmom likes this.
  39. Sue and Luci

This is the stickie: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...-low-go-slow-slgs-tight-regulation-tr.210110/

Bellasmom likes this.
  40. Sue and Luci

I was also re-reading and if you don't know how your cat usually responds - due to lack of data - you may want to not shoot tonight - it's better to be safe than sorry...and perhaps stalling in this case is best of all - you can see whether or not he's rising since it'll be more than 12 hours since his last insulin injection - it's interesting that he's getting such low numbers so late in the day... it's just a good reason to delay for now to see what's going on with him...

Does that sound like a plan?

Bellasmom likes this.
  41. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

I like that plan.. hold food, get to PMPS, stall, make decision. It's probably going to be a long night. One thing I've noticed in the past and it may be bunk but his bgs seem to be affected by the weather... which has been horrid the past couple days. It's blowing out of here right now. :woot: Good. Riddance.

His BG is 114 now, 116 half hour ago.

42. Sue and Luci

Oh good! He's on the rise! You can probably go ahead with your planned shot for tonight - or wait a bit longer just to be sure he's still on the way up :) Interesting that you think it might be the weather - it's been god awful hot here - and today it's finally cooler - but Luci persists with her bad numbers - so she's getting an increase tonight - in five minutes to be exact - that girl has got to get busy!

43. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

The weather influences, I think?, but its not his overall issue. One vet here has noticed getting more calls and office visits re diabetes during weather and pressure changes. A person with a diabetic grandchild told me the same thing once. The weather here is more variable than not. not sure how to dose for weather. :rolleyes: will be back shortly to post his pmps

44. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

pmps=150. Shoot 1.5u?

45. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

I shot 1.5. He still has meals to eat and I'll watch him. Thanks for your guidance today. :)

Sue and Luci and Bellasmom like this.
  46. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Great job shooting, I’d get a +1 and +2

Dandelion and Sue and Luci like this.
  47. Sue and Luci

Yes, great job on making that call to shoot at 150 - glad you waited - and now all you need to do is be watchful for a few hours this evening...get the 1 and 2+ just to make sure he's not going to run off to the deep end of the lagoon - based on his numbers then decide if you need to set an alarm and get up in a couple of hours after that just to check to make sure how he's doing - he seems to be interested in going to his nadir kinda late doesn't he? After a while you'll see his patterns and get to know when he's most likely to hit the deeper end of the green lagoon - congrats!!

Dandelion likes this.
  48. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

swing low sweet sugar cat. Yeah his nadir is out there a ways. what a day... a good day for him! So cool to see it it all in action and be able to respond appropriately, take some calculated risks, learn patience. Excited for his vet to see the SS tomorrow. I'll post his +2 in an hour. Thanks!!

49. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

What/who are the anonymous critters...wombat, jackal, chipmunk... watching my SS?

50. Sue and Luci

Oh, he's looking good. Nice safe number so far - just be sure to get that 2+, then you might consider getting some rest unless you're a night-person - I'm not but DH is, so he gets the late night duties usually.

So is your vet cooperative with you as far as you doing all this testing, etc. at home? I don't remember if you've said (my apologies for that)...but finding a vet who is both knowlegeable and supportive is as rare as a red diamond - very, very rare indeed...blue are the next rarest... so you get my drift. Most vets are responsible for cats going hypo or dying - I've not found a good one yet here in Michigan - I did find a rather intelligent one in Florida - he was at least supportive, unfortunately he wanted me to start by giving Luci 2 units of Lantus - never mentioned getting a test before shooting the insulin twice a day - luckily I'd been reading this forum for several months before meeting him - and after meeting the first vet who diagnosed Luci and his recommendation was to put her down - I was very upset at that advice and decided not to take it - grrrr - he's still there practicing bad FD medicine - and I won't take Luci to see him...he was very negative about the entire process of working with her - warned me that it was very hard to do, blah, blah, blah...she won't let you poke her, etc. etc. Well, he was wrong - yes it's been work and at times discouraging - but Luci is happy and healthy and in spite of his dire diagnosis she's here with us nearly two years later (not in Remission or even close to it, but that's just Luci)...

At any rate...you did great today! I'll be looking for your post tomorrow morning - and for others who may be watching tonight - keep posting your numbers to your SS...

G'nite :)

51. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

My vet is feline only and yes cooperative with what I am doing. I am the one that said, "something changed for Butternut recently, Lantus doesn't seem to be working and he needs something else. What's available?" She responds. She doesn't have a choice about whether I test or not. I'm doing it. She's very open to and will read information I send to her plus put up with my questions. She gave me an Rx for the Canadian pharm upon my request. She's no dictator and I wouldn't stand for that type of relationship. Nutty has been with her his entire 18 years and I've been taking my kitties to her for about 23 years.
    I suspect lots of vets here would tell people to end their pets lives upon dx of lots of chronic ailments. Ive been told some vets don't bother with CKD, won't bother with calcitriol, diabetes, and the pet owners won't bother either - based on ignorance too. Good info in this forum is diabetes is treatable, even with a FTjob. It's affordable. Remission is possible with some hard effort at first. Help is out there.

I suspect my vet is even more interested in his progress right now since Butternut is the only cat she's had on Levemir! :woot: I think she'll be pleased about today's bg's.
    I was on the phone with the clinic nurse last week and was running my mouth about this forum and she seemed quite interested since she also has a sugar :cat:. I told her about getting samples from his paw pads. o_O I'd never be able to use his ears, they'd be full of holes if I tried. She mentioned that there are many diabetic cats at the clinic so maybe she'll become the diabetes guru there.

I can't stand vets (and doctors!) that shame people for the choices and use fear tactics to manipulate. Vote with your wallets, people. Demand better , demand up to date information and some knowledge of current science. sheesh.
    Be back in a bit to post +2
    Nite Sue and Luci! Thanks so much!

52. carfurby (GA)

I've noticed that with other spreadsheets. When some people look in it comes up as the anonymous critters. It's strange. Nice surfing today for Butternut. Good job shooting tonight.

Dandelion likes this.
  53. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

+2=171. He ate about 30-45 minutes ago.

54. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

Thanks! I might be up now and then checking him but hope I can get some longer stretches of sleep now that the hot humid misery has left.

55. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

+3=162. he's having his night meal now.

56. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

+10=240. the blue streak is over. +11 to follow.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  57. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

Last night I remembered a conversation with a woman here who had a diabetic cat on insulin. The only testing her vet had her do was a monthly fructosamine. :eek:

Have you checked the vet school in MN, or MN in general for a knowledgable vet? My veterinarian graduated from U of Minnesota. Somewhere along the way she fell in love with feline veterinary medicine. I found her by accident... random call to the clinic with a question about a stray cat I had.

Time for 7/22 AMPS

58. Sue and Luci

Good Morning - so you'll want to be sure to start a new thread this morning: Copy your url from this post to add to your new post.

Go to the top of this forum and on the right you'll see the button 'New Post'.

Write your title like this: 7/22 Butternut AMPS ###

Then paste your url to the first line - and go from there with your comments for today...everyone will see the new post and will comment today :)