7/22 Butternut AMPS= 378 +9=230 +11=238 |PMPS=299 +1=284 +3=209 +5=102

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Dandelion, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

Yesterday

Yesterday's blue streak ends in pink.

2. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Bouncy Butternut come on back down

3. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

That's a bounce then? His body expressing a preference for those high numbers? Panicky? Something other reason? I thought we had finally kicked those morning yellows and pinks to the curb.

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Butternut clears the bounce soon.

5. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

That's a classic bounce :) Butternut is reacting to those nice low greens and he's still new at this game - those may settle out after a while - but if you look at Luci's SS, she never really got that message and bouncing and diving is her motto.. One of the reasons I switched her to Levemir was to see if I could help her stay away from those higher numbers and get her to level off somewhere down in the blue green territories...but it takes time and patience..

It looks like you were up all night testing! You could get some sleep this morning - those pinks will give you a few hours to rest at least - most likely he's going to have to work his way thru the yellows and then the blues before he gets close to those greens again...

As long as he's eating well ... get some rest if you can - and enjoy your day! You're doing a terrific job with the testing btw!

AmandaE and Bellasmom like this.
  6. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

I want to get the +1 and +2 numbers then I will rest and catch up with personal chores. The dining room table has become a diabetic command center + a clean laundry dump. I think I still have a garden.... haven't seen it in days.

Temps in the 60s. :)

Zorro's mom likes this.
  7. Sue and Luci

I understand completely - seems like we put everything on hold to take care of these kitties - it's chaos. Good luck with that garden visit :) Where are you located? We're 63 degrees this morning - with greyish skies and a cool forecast - 79 by this afternoon. We're in South Lyon, Michigan - land of poor electric service.:facepalm:

8. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

I like Luci's SS! I want to make changes so the Nut's info is embedded within the SS, like half hour BG, foods, etc. My vet also asked about time insulin gets administered so maybe I'll make a copy of my SS and customize it so it's easier and faster to get up to speed on him @ any given time.

9. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

NW Vermont, very close to the Canadian border. *waves to forum Canadians* I have friends in MN so I stay tuned to the weather over that way too. 90s and humid is not my fav weather at all.

AmandaE and Sue and Luci like this.
  10. Sue and Luci

Oooooh...so are you close enough to go into Canada and buy your insulin? They have such a great deal on it there at their pharmacies!!

11. Sue and Luci

Great idea! Lots of people at the very least put notes about food, etc. in the comments section on the far right hand side. Or you can customize and add food in other areas - it does however complicate the 'look' of the SS - personalization is great though! Make the SS work for you :)

12. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

Come back from the moon Butternut! You looked so much better in blues and greens!!

Don’t stress about the bouncing, it’s SO normal! Mowgli Bounces almost everyday :rolleyes: the important thing is that they spend most of their time on better numbers :) it takes a little time before that happens

Sue and Luci and Dandelion like this.
  13. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

+2=431 tree top flyer

Actually I've never bought insulin in Canada but I should look into it. Getting the Levemir was a pita last week. My vet and I both were told by Costco - yes single pens are available, then no we don't sell single pens. Walmart won't sell break a box of 5. My Costco pharm said they don't get much demand for Levemir either. I got a vial at less cost than anywhere else by $100 though.
    Years ago I was steered to a compounding pharm because it was willing to sell smaller vials of insulin - yes, the repackaged insulin I read about on this forum last week that we shouldn't buy. :( Another choice that irks me.

And the pharmacy now --

The state suspended the license of a compounding pharmacy in Colchester this week, after an inspection revealed pharmacists at the facility gave their drugs expiration dates far beyond industry standards.

Penro Specialty Compounding prepares compounded drugs for both humans and animals. According to the order suspending the company's license, state inspectors found that Penro and its pharmacist manager, Neal Pease, had assigned so-called "beyond-use dates" ranging from 90 to 180 days for drug compounds that should be stored no more than 45 days.
    :mad:

There's been some things on this diabetic trip that have been unacceptable, imo.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  14. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

Now that I understand the bouncing a bit better I don't need to stress. Before I was trying to figure out what was causing it, from dosage to foods to ?.
    It's amazing and fortunate we can even influence kitties as much as we do with exogenous insulin. Body systems are so complex.

AmandaE and Sue and Luci like this.
  15. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

I'm still trying to understand how to mitigate bounces in Mowgli, but I have heard around here that "some cats bounce to remission" haha! so be it! As long as he is spending the majority of his time in better numbers :)

Sue and Luci likes this.
  16. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

Butternut - aka Biggie because he weighs 16 lbs - +3=335. Power slide into the blue today, hopefully. I'm going to give his paws a break for a couple hours since he still has pink and yellow to conquer.

Shiloh and Butternut many years ago. The dog was diabetic, Nutty was not at that time. I hate diabetes.
    ShiAndButternut copy.jpg

Sue and Luci likes this.
  17. Sue and Luci

Agreed! You really can skip a test or two when he's in the red - if two hours later he's in the pinks or yellows, based on the amount drop, you can skip an hour or two again - when Luci drops over 100 points by 2+ I start to get watchful, make sure she's eating and then decide when to test next - I hate testing too often if she's too high and it really doesn't show much of a change. On the same note if she's hanging in the yellows by mid-day - for me that's 5 or 6+ I usually don't test again until PMPS - she gets the afternoon off - time for mama to catch a late afternoon nap - if all things permit. You'll start to see patterns develop and you'll see when he's likely to hit his nadir. Yesterday at that 109 it was good to catch more tests in the afternoon - but today he's most likely coming down from that bounce and may not slide into the low blues at all...poor kid probably would like a break more than his mama! :)

Beautiful family you got there - Shiloh and 'Nut :)

18. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

Good thing Nutty has 4 paws.

Is it surprising to see him have numbers like yesterday so soon after a switch to Levemir?

19. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

+6=246.
    He just came in from a leash walk - the farthest he's gone out across the lawn in months searching for his favorite grass patches. He's really a goat. He parked himself for awhile and sniffed and bonded with the earth. He's had a snack and is taking care of his hygiene.

His bg might drop faster than expected due to the walk.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  20. Sue and Luci

I noticed that Luci did the same thing - we switched, she had good numbers...then got lazy - so I've increased from .75 to 1 u, now to 1.25; still waiting for her to get her toe wet...

I hope Nutty has some good numbers later today - have you noticed the onset with Lev is later than it was with Lantus?

21. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

Since starting Levemir, does Butternut's chart look like

-a good day
    -a 2 day bounce
    -a good-ish day
    -a 2 day bounce
    -a much better day surfing
    -and today, the first day of a bounce
    ?

22. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

PMPS +3=209 and on the approach to blue. Will he take a shot at a low AMPS tomorrow? :cool: Note to self: do not feed until I know he's on the upswing.

He's a much different cat tonight. More alert, more active, engaged with the action in the room. :cat: :)

Nite

23. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

24. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

Yes later but overall high early dip way later in the day into evening is similar to lantus. Hoping he'll find his sweet spot and cruise.

Sue and Luci likes this.