7/23 Oscar +6 457...dosing advice needed

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sam & Oscar, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Sam & Oscar

Sam & Oscar Member

Monday

I was really hoping to see some better numbers today, but still red. Do you think I should give him a few more cycles at this dose or go ahead with an increase?

Also, he is boarding at the vet this weekend Friday-Monday so if I'm going to increase I feel like I should do it now so I have time to monitor or wait until we pick him up Monday. I don't think they will test him throughout the day Sunday.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Have you read the sticky's on Tight Regulation and Start Low, Go Slow? Our advice depends on which method you choose.

That being said, I think you could go ahead and try the 2.5 tonight since he's running so high.

Are you also testing for ketones?

Bellasmom likes this.
  3. Sam & Oscar

Sam & Oscar Member

I am doing TR, I will try to update my signature tonight. I have not started testing for ketones yet, he didn't have any when diagnosed so that wasnt on my radar until I got on here. I will need to get a new monitor for that.

Should I be hesitant to have him on a new dose so soon before boarding? It's only a few days but he won't be monitored overnight.

4. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

I agree with Chris and China, go ahead an increase since running so high, you can always take him back down if need be before boarding that way you have some days to see what that dose will do

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You can use urine ketone test strips...you don't necessarily have to buy a blood ketone meter.

It's only Tuesday....if you go up now, you can always go back down before boarding but you may see the higher dose is safe to keep while boarding too.....I find that a lot of vets refuse to do the .25 and .75 doses ….best to find a line they can use

Penelope and Mačka likes this.
  6. Sam & Oscar

Sam & Oscar Member

I was thinking that too! I will shoot the 2.5 tonight and see how he does the next couple of days.

Oscar's still peeing outside... the litter box thing hasn't been easy, we're working on it. I know it's not ideal but we've got a lot of changes at once here. And in the process of installing floors so the house is a wreck, probably not helping things along.

Thanks all, here's hoping we stay on track!