7/27 Chloe Day 4 AMBG 193 +3 54 +7 84 PMBG 105 +3 96

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Randi & Max (GA), Jul 27, 2019.

1. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Yesterday's Condo

Good Morning.

Looks to be a blue morning today. Yesterday we saw some greens giving some hope that Mr. P was awake and working. She brought herself down nicely with food and I did get some nice choices to try and she ate well.
    I bought a lamb dust to sprinkle on her food and she devoured it. Stupid me though I had the hirl in the store read the ingredients to me as I told her what I wanted to stay away from. So after she ate a little bit of it I saw the first ingredient was honey. Guess she s not having that again.
    Hoping for a better day today.

Perry & Jenn likes this.
  2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'd run a carb count on the honey laden food and if it's too high, it can become a good HC alternative.

3. Randi & Max (GA)

That's a good thought. She liked it. Thanks

4. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

Good idea on how to use the lamb dust!! Hope Chloe keeps on with those good numbers today!
    Enjoy your Saturday!

5. Randi & Max (GA)

Thanks so much Lyane. Now this was a shocker number.
    Yay Chloe. Way to keep us scratching our heads

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  6. Randi & Max (GA)

Nice day today. Paws crossed she surfs nice and flat.

7. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

From yesterday:
    Today:
    Okee-dokie! I guess Chloe didn't like the plan! That's quite the drop from 196 to 54 without any insulin! 196 is so darn close to 200 that now I'm reconsidering whether it's safe to shoot even a drop or two anywhere close to 200. Perhaps the best course of action is to focus solely on
    • switching to budesonide,
    • getting a good amount of food into her daily, and
    • testing for ketones every day.

You *could* consider/choose a no shoot number around 250 or greater "IF" you were able to monitor closely. I'll be honest with you. I'm not sure what I would do. I think I might continue withholding insulin if she's ketone free and continues as is. If she begins to string a few cycles together that are too high, and she's not bringing herself down, or if she begins to throw as little as 'trace' ketones I'd re-evaluate immediately.

What do you think? You need to feel comfortable with all decisions.

Marje and Gracie and Wendy&Neko like this.
  8. Randi & Max (GA)

After today I am still inclined to withold insulin and take it day by day. I must get a blood ketone meter, no luck with the pee.
    Ill check on amazon and see if I can find something in canada that I can get quick. Someone mentioned getting one at gnc but not sure if I would find that up here.

I struck out today with the vet, short day on saturday but my reliabel vet tech will be ther on MOnday and she will make sure I get proper answers bout the budesonide. Especially since today was a no pred day so maybe that's why numbers were better. Will test soon and see how she is.

9. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I used to have all those blood ketone meters here that we in LLEF got for free but, over the years, I’ve sent them to members in need. So sorry about that!

Paws crossed on the budesonide. I’d certainly still be holding off on the syringe with a day like today. Maybe it has just taken a little longer to clear the extra glucagon, etc, out of her system.

Paws crossed.

10. Randi & Max (GA)

Nice green end to the day. And she actually came running for food. So cute to see her run. Brought me to tears I love her so.
    The last of my triplets. She is a fighter.

And if anyone in Canada knows where to get a blood ketone meter please send me a link or let me know. I am not finding anything.

sandscout and Jill & Alex (GA) like this.
  11. Jill & Alex (GA)

Best news today! :)

Can't wait to see what she'll do tomorrow...

Randi & Max (GA) likes this.
  12. Randi & Max (GA)

Lets hope. It is a pred day. But she just seems more alert and comfortable. Been up and down the stairs many times today and even DH says she looks good.

Question, should I stay away from xantham gum. Weruva cats in the kitchen is on the list with low carbs but xnatham gum is a carb so I was concerned about that.

13. Jill & Alex (GA)

I don't think I'd want to feed it long term, but at this point I'd give her anything she'll eat. However, tagging Marje because she knows more than I do about xantham gum.
    @Marje and Gracie

Randi & Max (GA) likes this.
  14. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Gums are generally not good for cats with IBD. With Gracie, I couldn’t give her anything with gum the last few months. Not even one meal. Xanthum gum is particularly a problem for IBD cats. Here is a good discussion of why IBD cats shouldn’t have xanthum gum.