7/27 Loudogg AMPS 103 +6 64 +9 114 PMPS 90 - Thinking about switching meters...

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Amanda and a Loudogg, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

July 22, 2019 Condo - Reduction earned

Hello everyone!
    Lou's doing well on the 1.75u dose. I wouldn't be surprised if he's working towards another reduction. That would be great to get back on a dosing line. So I've noticed I've been having problems waking up for a +6 check during the night when Caleb works late. Recently I've been late by half an hour to an hour (snoozing for that long, what a waste...), but last night I just could not get up and eventually my alarm turned itself off. Unfortunately, Caleb got home late and just fed when he got home instead of checking. I hope he stayed safe. Thankfully he knows to wake us up if he's hungry/running low, so I trust he was okay since I didn't get woken up.

So I was looking at buying more strips for my Contour Next meter. For 1.5+ years, I've gotten the strips on eBay for $10-$11 per box of 50. I just bought some a couple of months ago, and the price went up to $14 per box, so the overall price for the lot was painful. Last night, the cheapest lot I could find had gone up to $18 per box! :eek: It finally occurred to me that I think it might be time to switch meters for now to try to save money where we can. I absolutely love my meter, but I was thinking of switching to the Relion Prime since the meter is $9 and a box of 50 strips is also $9. Unfortunately, the prime doesn't look like a great meter, although I know many people use it here. It's extra annoying that Walmart discontinued the micro, because I would have liked to use that one. Are there any prime users here? How do you feel about the meter overall? Pros? Cons? I'm going to look at other meters that are better rated to see how cheaply I could get those strips. It's worth a look anyway.

I hope you all have a wonderful day and your kitties surf safely! Sending vines to Paula and her DH. So glad you are home! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Nice numbers today.

3. Jill & Scooter

Jill & Scooter Well-Known Member

Lou is looking great!!!
    I use a Relion Prime and like it just fine. I also have a Confirm for back up that I don’t like as well.

4. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hey Amanda! I use the Prime and have absolutely no issues with it. There were those that said it turned off on them in the middle of using it. I think in all the time I’ve use it ( I started with the micro then switched because of test strip price) I can say that in the approx 3.5 years I’ve used it I could count on one hand the amount of times that had happened.

I did do a comp with it and the Abbott Freestyle ( my Mom’s meter ) and the Relion read lower by about 15 points in the lower end.