7/9 Catcat AMPS 306,+3.5=211,+6=225,+9.5=208, PMPS 204

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by CandyH & Catcat, Jul 9, 2019.

1. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  2. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

Happy Tuesday to you and Catcat :)

You should definitely start seeing some of the results from Lantus soon .... I hope Catcat shows great results and progresses on Lantus quickly :)

Right now I have a huge stockpile of Friskies Pate.. just curious why you aren't feeding it to Catcat... is there something I should know? :nailbiting:

3. CandyH & Catcat

I noticed that Catcat's BG tended to run a little higher when he ate Friskies (mostly the mixed grill or turkey/giblets) than when he ate Blue Wilderness or 4Health

possibly his system reacts more to rice (which is in Friskies) rather than potato (which is in Blue Wilderness) -- the 4Health has neither, it has egg instead

I think of the research that's gone into the Glycemic Index for humans, though there the potato usually has a higher index than rice
    it may be the amount, rather than the specific ingredient

so I was feeding the Friskies only on the evening/night cycle to ward off any big drops in BG while I was asleep -- right now, since I want to determine what time period that nadir occurs on Lantus with Catcat, I'm sticking with the three brands of LC that seem to be interchangeable -- I'll add the Friskies back into the rotation, maybe also include the Paws&Claws, once I figure out how his system will react once things settle down

of course I may be off base, but I've heard several others say they noticed a slight increase when feeding Friskies too

AliceMeowliss (GA) and AmandaE like this.
  4. AmandaE

Thanks for the info :)

Friskies was on sale for 10/$5 so I got a little out of hand when I purchased :rolleyes: Hopefully Mowg doesn't see higher numbers because of it. I'll be interested to see what comes out of your test ;)

5. CandyH & Catcat

good grief! what size can? I've been buying the 13 ounce can of Friskies at Dollar Tree for $1 (d'oh) -- they've had turkey/giblets. mixed grill, and poultry platter pates, as well as something called Meaty Bits which is obviously higher carb -- marked Nestle Purina with a St Louis address, so it's made in USA, not imported

possibly I could even get a better price if I went online to them and bought a whole case -- we'll see -- since I got a great deal on the Blue Wilderness last month ($1 a can if you bought ten, rather than the usual $1.49/can, and I think there's been a price increase since), and recently got a bunch of 4Health from Tractor Supply with their July Fourth coupon for 15% off pet food (need to go pick that up today, 9 cases of 12 cans

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    AmandaE likes this.
  6. AmandaE

The 5.5oz can HUUUGE!! I literally bought every can of Pate that they had. The sale was in a Canadian store though (Pet Valu), usually they have that sale for fancy feast, so I was shocked when they had the same sale for the larger Friskies cans.

I struggle with how expensive wet cat food is, I don't understand how people can afford to feed multiple cats the name brands like weruva and tiki cat! theyre like 1.50-2.00CAD/ 3oz can!

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  7. CandyH & Catcat

of course that's a dollar US -- in Canadian dollars would probably be like $1.33, but even so, 13 ounces, 429 calories, that's really what I've been feeding Catcat per day, though at his optimum weight and no FD, he should be getting more like 300-325 calories -- and right now he's not gaining weight, may have even lost a little

he really liked Wellness but that's something like $3.50/can even at Tractor Supply; at the pet food/feed store locally it's $4-something

AmandaE likes this.
  8. AmandaE

It adds up so fast! hopefully his maintained weight is a good thing :)

9. CandyH & Catcat

probably his best weight would be 14 pounds, at 12, he's a little skinny, flanks slightly caved in, but he's not the near-skeleton he was at 10 pounds, when diagnosed

I've jumped on several reduced prices, probably have enough food to last until Christmas ...

AmandaE likes this.
  10. AmandaE

OMG this is me!!!! I officially have a "cat pantry" with diabetic supplies and the like! I regularly crash my local pet valu's cash system by buying more than 100 cans at a time!

Mowgli has the same ideal weight as Catcat, right now hes sitting around 12 lbs but should definitely be at 14

11. CandyH & Catcat

Mowgli is stunning, love the panther look -- two sibling black cats next door, they come over and try to sneak some of the barn-cats' food --

barncats just get supplemental feeding, their primary diet is mice, rats, gophers, moles, squirrels, and the occasional unwary bird; they're in great condition

Kurry, the orange DSH with white socks and bib, is getting slightly friendly with me, will let me pet him when I feed (I'm guessing he is an abuse survivor); Greta, the tabby-tortoiseshell with a curled tail, is a true feral, she won't come within 5 to 6 feet of me, but DOES come running out when I call them to come get food

both of them have started meowing at me, unusual behavior for "wild" cats

AmandaE likes this.
  12. AmandaE

Thanks! I think Mowgli is so Handsome too! like your neighbour I have another black cat named Nyx, shes younger than Mowgli and she really hates having him around the house (he just joined us in March).

It sounds like you have a fun life with all the wild cats around you! Mowgli has a curled tail like Greta! it looks like a question mark! I hope all of your barn cats warm up to you, barn cats can be the best companions!

I read somewhere that cat's only meow at humans as a means of communication but not to each other,... I wonder if that is true?

13. CandyH & Catcat

I think poor Greta's tail was broken in an accident, it's bent sharply back towards her body, about halfway down, then the end is curled back slightly between them, and she carries the whole thing close to her body, so the whole thing looks a bit like a Chow dog's except straight, not circular

kittens, of course, mew at their mother, but when I've had multiple cats, the clowder members meowed at the alpha female and sometimes at the alpha male too, almost a "mother may I?" sort of sound -- also meowed at any of the cats fresh back from the vet or from the show hall

AmandaE likes this.
  14. AmandaE

Yikes! definitely sounds like a broken tail! Mowgli's is all natural ;)

Interesting on the other meowing news, My cats do not meow at each other, Nyx hisses, snarles and snorts at Mowgli... I hope someday they get along! I even have feliway diffusers throughout the house and I introduced Mowgli using the Jackson Galaxy Method!

15. CandyH & Catcat

may be different if you had eight cats (or was it nine?) as I had at the time, or only two or three
    Kurry and Greta don't meow at each other, they just rub noses and cheeks
    Kurry WANTS to rub cheeks with Catcat, when he follows me out there, Catcat isn't having any part of it, he swats! (but without claws)

I do have pictures of them (Catcat and Kurry)walking parallel and sitting in the grass, not yet buddies though